Thread: i heard a race rumor

i heard a race rumor

rumor has it that during the wingcar nats ( one of the am classes) there will be a high level scale race down the way premiering the racers from the czech repulic and slovakia along w brazil and other parts of europe. sprinkle in a few of the americans this could be quite a party......

herman

Where is "down the way"???

"Down the way" from Chicago??? or somewhere else???

Where did you hear this rumour?

I thought OWH was the "official" rumour mill!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

I've heard that rumor too

However, I think it creates a conflict for those who were planning on entering amateur box 12. A shame really, as I'd be one of those affected.
    JayGee Racing Controllers - 24 Bands of Bliss
    www.jaygeeracing.com

Not impossible

Still working on the best timing for EVERYONE. I may want to try that wing thing too, you know.....

Herman, We will be more ready to race you next time......
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

So......

I guess this big rumoured race is a secret?

Or does everybody know but me?
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

It is on a need to know basis

and guess what ? You don't need to know !
    Paul,
    This is just in its infancy..... the plan would be to travel up the road to McHenry., Il. and partake in a E/S race on the ex worlds flat track there.
    It could give the G-7 guru's something to do other than shine pinions.
    Ron
    Last edited by Multiracer II; 03-28-2006 at 07:01 AM.
    Work harder. Millions on welfare depend on you!

Even I heard about it!! LOL.....

I wish i could make it up there for it, but i know it wont fit into my plans

Josh B.
    Boola Racing

Ron: Won't the "G7 Gurus" be busy mentoring the Am's and turn marshalling?

If anyone wants my opinion- I think scheduling this event in conflict with the nats, we are trying to put 10 lbs of material in a 5 lb bag.
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Cross-town, cross-racing...

I really like that "10 lbs of material in a 5 lb bag" line, however I just can't come up with a decent comeback yet....

However - I think it would be way cool if a road trip and Eurosport race at McHenry could be worked out where it was not in direct conflict with the Nats events.

Last year at BP - there were a few midweek days where the racing actually was done at an early hour, allowing some racers who were not trying to compete in every class some time off to do a little sight seeing. If it worked out to fit into an early evening on a one-class race day - then maybe it would be possible.

On a realistic note though - you will undoubtedly find that the really hard core Wing/Scale cross-racers will be very reluctant to take the time to venture out. Unless it really does fit in between programs, then you may not get many of the top dogs to go for it.

These guys aren't at the top of the heap because they have everything in the box - they work hard all week at the Nats and are very focussed on the task at hand - THE NATS.

Believe me - I have been there burning the midnight oil at the Nats these past several years doing the photos and race results all night - and most of the guys you see in the main event on Sunday were definately in the "All Night Thrash" club as well.

I can barely ever get Paul Ciccarello to ever pose for a podium photo, because he's already back in the pits thrashing on people's cars for the next event.

Good luck - as it would be a lot of fun if it works out!

And if you do work it out - somebody please tell me about it???

I DO TOO "need to know" dang it!
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

A scale...Older but wiser...winging it

Paul....You gotta hang out more at the Speedshop.

Ever since the Jedi,Verdo,Mr. Meek, Daughter of, and myself came back from Chi town we have been discussing this topic about a enhanced Race within a Nats event. It was supposed to suppliment the Nats, week before or after, maybe during the initial amature events. I wasn't going to be a wee hours type of event just open Euros and a couple resricted motor races for the locals and practice. Most likely one weekend day noonish to 10pm.

It was to give the Czech and other multitasking scale/wing intenational celebs a chance to challenge the American Scale crowd. It was being discussed whether to to be under international ISRA rules for bodies and tires familiar to the Europeans or American ISRA rules which are slightly different.

As for conflicts I shouldn't think so, the Nats originally mixed Scale and Wing events in the same week many years ago. Remember the 88 Nats was hosted in Seattle and was in two different raceways(same owner) across town from each other... simaltaiously. It made wonderful event. Paul you helped organise fliers for that Nats didn't you?

The airline ticket prices are at a premium at that time year so thus the consolidation effort. Bad thing is our $99 1/way Seattle to Chi town tickets suddenly just went up to $150.....during this period.

Being a Scale and wing racer I personally would like to attend both events.

Raymond

My ticket to Chicago is already bought - so I do hope it can happen during the week of the Nats - which I'm sure many other traveling racers would prefer as well.

It's just a matter of scheduling to avoid taking any of the Europeans, whom we would love to attend the scale race, away from their racing or thrashing at the Wing Nats.

Might be good to get a multi-seated van or two lined up to shuttle the gang there and back.

And yes - I do indeed remember the 1988 Emerald City Nats. I not only helped organize and promote it - and published the 88 Nats handbook (which many since then have been inspired by), but I was the race director for the 1/32 Eurosport race across town at WSS&H on the Hasse Hillclimb that you now have humbly hidden away.

BTW - I split off the Race Scheduling topic into it's own thread - started off by RapidRick... in case anybody was wondering what happened to it...
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

No it isn't a Shuuuuuuush....

Paul...No secret just low key as to not take away from the fantastic Nats event Mike will put on.
    As Larry so eloquentlly put it no date has been set. The Czech and a few other Europeans I believe know about it. Some invited, as they are rumored to being partally sponsered in thier flight and accomidations by a local buisnessman so they may attend the 2006 Nats and also take advantage of their attendance.

Raymond