Thread: Can I add lights to a 440 X2 chassis?

Can I add lights to a 440 X2 chassis?

Hi,

I'm looking to get chassis' for my two 70's era TycoPro Lighted car bodies. I saw from the net that they probably used the CurveHugger HP2 (var.2) chassis'.

The 440 X2 chassis just about fits, but I'd have to snip off the top edge. This is due to the plastic underneath the front end for the lights. The little lightbulb would fit in the middle.

Question: Can I buy some little bulb and wire it in? And if so, where could I buy these tiny bulbs? I'd rather have the new chassis. But if the CurveHugger HP2 is my only choice, I'd still like the option of getting cheaper plain ones and adding lights.

Thanks,
    Martin

Enclosed pix

Here's what I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighted slots a lr.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	2241  

Bought some lights at Radio Shack

I went to Radio Shack yesterday and bought two types of miniature lights. The one I tested was the smaller "grain of wheat" type bulb.

Radio Shack 272-1092 #7219 Micro Lamp (see picture)

I held it to the track and it lit up bright. It's small enough to fit into the little hole for the front lights on the Tyco Car bodies. My question is, has anyone used these bulbs? They seemed to get pretty hot and I'm concerned that they might melt the body.

Let me know if you know if the original bulbs run hot as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini lights.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	2243  

lights

not sure if they will melt the body. You could always coat the underside of the body with some tin foil to disipate the heat a little or better yet wrap the bulb in it so the light only comes out the front of the car. I've found that lighted cars usually glow all over the whole body not just out the holes for the lenses.
    Let me know how these work out

Since most use 18 volts or so for HO tracks and those bulbs are 12 volt wouldn't they burn out a little quick??? Also that is probably why they are so bright???
    Byron

USRA member #380013

"Pain Heals
    Chicks Dig Scars
    Glory Last Forever"

http://www.victorylaneraceway.com

I've used American line AFX replacemewnt bulbs on several Tyco chassis and have never had a problem. You can find them at any hobby shop that sells HO cars stuff. Bud's HO and NCP hobbies sell them too

LED Lights

Added white LED lights to a G3 chassis. Looks unreal. Two LEDS and a dropping resistor. Packaging on a Tyco would be a bit tougher but it should be do able.

Steve

LED's

Cool Maddman! What ohm resistor did you use?
    I've used leds a couple times but with tiny batteries to power them. Built a Grave Digger Monster truck for my son and used red leds on the front. It looked really cool. One advantage to the batteries is they stay the same brightness no matter how much power is going through the car only have to change them every so often though and they are a little bulky.

LEDs

I hooked the LEDs in parallel and used a 560 Ohm 1/4Watt resistor. The LEDs are 10,000mcd rated at 20 ma each. I am pullng about 8.5 through each LED at 12V and about 14ma at 18V. Lots of light and they are underdutied.

E-Bay was my source of parts.

Steve

let there be light

Awesome!
    Thanks for the info.
    I'll test it out.