Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slot Car Dyno

Slot Car Dyno

Is there a Slot car chassis dyno? Or good motor(16d to group 12x) dyno?

dyno

In about two months there will be a commercially available slot car dyno. The dyno are being assembled and software written now.

Are you making a Chassis Dyno, Motor Dyno or combo?

I hope a combo.

Dyno

Opps didn't notice the date. sorry
    Last edited by jamesden_ip; 05-29-2006 at 10:33 AM.

The hidden danger!!

From the extremely brief description - assembly required and uses software - I would presume that this unit will resemble currently available dynos for RC cars, suitably scaled. This would imply that there is a methodology for measuring input power and output power. The input, of course, will be volts x amps = watts. The output is a bit more difficult - I wouldn't off the top of my head know what units will be used (g/cm or oz./in. come to mind)- but it should be expressed as torque x rotational speed = power. The software should allow you to print a graph showing where the power peaks and the total efficiency, defined as how much of the input power becomes output power. This info will let you see how much is wasted (mostly as heat). All this is merely educatede speculation on my part. Hopefully Dan will add some detail.

All this is useful info, but there is a hidden danger!! While a dyno will certainly be used to compare similar motors, it still won't be a substitute for on track testing, particularly to find optimum gearing, tire parameters, and other stuff that determines your lap speed. The danger is that you may end up leaving a good motor behind, untested, because its dyno numbers are merely average.

In this respect, I think of it in the same way as using ohmmeters and inductance meters on armatures: Interesting curiosity, but not all that useful because of the uncertainty of 'real world' results. From a racers standpoint, what are you going to do, buy 10 motors and try to return the bottom 7? Good luck! From the manufacturers POV, do you expect the 'slower' 50% to be somehow never sold? Won't happen (unless we all want the price of motors to double overnight!).

Ironically, it was Dan DeBella himself who cautioned me some 8 years ago when I first got into the blueprint biz NOT to try and rate my goods before they were packaged. He said, and I'm pretty close to quoting verbatim here, that "every one of your customers has the right to hope that their very next purchase is the unusually fast arm or motor that comes up from time to time". Thats as true a statement as I can imagine, and I've lived by it over the years.

When the dyno becomes available, lets use it in the best way possible - as a guide to see, on average, that our building efforts constantly improve. Thats a worthy goal for anyone.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Cool

I have a prototype motor dyno made to connect to your regular power supply. It has a wheel with cutouts that breaks the circuit on a U shaped diode emitter collector. The type used on many video games. I have never had an opportunity to play with it. If anyone wants it, I'll give it up for 25 bucks....jf
    RACE DIRECTORS... Want Free Subscription certificates to SARN to use as race prizes or door prizes? They are FREE for the asking. Email me at: johnford@slotmail.org and let me know how many you need for each event. S.A.R.N. Scale Auto Racing News...Serving slot racers since 1979.

Ok i'll take a look...do you take paypal? how much to ship to 14622? ...

Send me an email to: johnford@slotmail.org with your adress and I'll give you the pay pal info. I'll pay the shipping. I'll just be glad to see someone tinker with this thing. It has been sitting around on my desk for a long time now.....jf
    RACE DIRECTORS... Want Free Subscription certificates to SARN to use as race prizes or door prizes? They are FREE for the asking. Email me at: johnford@slotmail.org and let me know how many you need for each event. S.A.R.N. Scale Auto Racing News...Serving slot racers since 1979.

John,
    I emailed you but the email bounced back, and your PM box is full. When you get a chance drop me an email... My email is jak2003us@yahoo.com thanks....

(Tim Tyler posting under Chris's moniker)

Michael Krejci and I have built and tested a motor dyno. It works suprisingly well, and is relatively smple to operate.

My experience of it is exactly as Monty says. As a result, its greatest use seems to be for ensuring that a motor is not grossly out of spec, and after that it's a matter of track testing to find the small, but critical, differences. There really is no subsitute for that big, grey, 8-laned dyno at the raceway.

As with any tool, the more you use it, the better you will be able to interpret what you see and make good use of the information.

John, Thanks for the info. your P_M box is still full. PM me your paypal info so I can pay you.

Did this project go anywhere? I'm interested in a motor dyno if not too expensive. I've seen one unit (sort of) by Trinity for RC motors, but what I was looking for would be interfaced to a laptop for graphing and printout. Not as interested in a chassis dyno since once you get the motor in the car the track is a better test.
    Steve (Spud) Saunders
    "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference." -- Harry Truman

Nuthin' new...

Steve,

Never did hear from ProSlot about this unit going past the planning stages. You might e-mail Dan DeBella with a polite inquirey?

Trinity has a RC dyno out that you can modify to fit C and D-can motors, Ron Hershman could probably tell you more about it.

Dyno

The dyno is in the production stage at the moment. The hard parts are being machined. I hope its available in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I'll be posting info on our site at www.proslot.com the moment they are available.

dan

Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast