Thread: track power

Question track power

need advice on caps for track how many and what size currently running 4x200amp batteries and 2x 55amp rivergate powersupplies track is 155 blue king and has nine power taps
    also how do you guys in states get 16 volts just curious

One way or another...

I have a 3 Farad cap (car audio) on my King with one 90 amp Rivergate Bulldog and one 8d for daily use. When the opens and glue comes around I hook up the second 8d battery. FIVE #12 gauge taps. Works ok now that I made individual lane ground instead of common grounds. Even the 3 F cap cannot run a falcon car around the whole track on its own, but it should provide a nano-second of amps before either the battery or power supply can respond - the three work together. Volts from the power supply; Amps from the battery; response from the capacitor. I cannot see the overwhelming need for more than 3 Farad, unless you get a real good deal on a 5 for less than $200. 3F can be had on line for less than $100....and a one farad is better than none. AND they can be wired in parrallel...on and on.

16 Volts is always a problem, but the BULLDOG series can handle it. There is the plug-in high voltage switch. There is also a tuning trim pot behind the 3/16" hole in one end. You can tune the High/Low settings with that trimmer. You can also cut out that trimmer and install a remote pot to control the whole track voltage if you then bypass the battery (Rental parties)...nice bulldog...does not chew too many shoes, either.

Of Course continued use of 16 VDC (or much of anything over 13.5/14 VDC) will lead to early battery failure and loss of water in the cells.

THEN there are salesmen of high priced big amp power supplies....
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 08-17-2006 at 10:31 AM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Smile track caps

thanks for the advice not shaw if i can get 3 farad caps here have only seen 1 farads but will look into it. The 3/16 hole in the bulldog is that at the fan end mine have a hole there but seems to be covered by something on the inside. I have 2 volt battery that is connected to the bank by series conection to give 16 qualifying power only 13.5 every day use.
    thanks for ansawering my question have nice day

>warrenty seal<

covers the hole - tape to keep screwdrivers and dummies out . Pop the cover and examine the insides.....
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track

Re: One way or another...

Originally posted by Ramcatlarry

THEN there are salesmen of high priced big amp power supplies....
    I guess that would be me? not a salesman but certainly a user

Thunderdome, not sure anyone has really determined how many caps or how much capacitance is too much or just right. Trial and error will eventually tell us all that but some basic facts remain.

Multiple caps are better overall than a single larger cap. Multiples in parallel lower ESR, (effective series resistance) and that's a good thing, allows the cap to respond quicker so if you can find some smaller caps cheaper, get them and wire them up in parallel. I am using a total or 2 Farad worth of capacitance but am playing with more. I've heard that there is a track in the US using possibly up to a 125 farad cap?

Now wiring becomes an issue, no sense having a bunch of caps if you introduce alot of additional resitance in your wiring. Use good, conductive material and employ a silver bearing contact enhancing paste if you can find some. Let me know if you can't, I have a good source.

To get 16 VDC, I use an M300 (mine car battery) with an additional cell wired in series effectively giving me a 7 cell battery capable of producing 15.75 VDC when fully charged (1.270 - 1.300 sp) On top of this I have a power supply (not a Bulldog ) to boost the voltage up to 16 VDC.
    Last edited by RomanK; 08-18-2006 at 01:36 PM.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Great quote...

" When the opens and glue comes around I hook up the second 8d battery."

Is this while you are dreaming of a Falcon powered G-7 ?

What is it they spell out with initials..... "rollingonfloorlaughingmyassoff"
    TTP
    Last edited by Multiracer II; 08-18-2006 at 10:28 AM.
    Work harder. Millions on welfare depend on you!

Thumbs up track power

thanks Romank adding the 2 volt cell at my track seems to work just fine only problem is keeping it fully charged i have to keep taking it back to the battery guy who has the facilaties to charge it or plan b is to build a charger/ power supply so it's alwalys topped up. smaller and multicaps gives less resistance just like batteries but as you said then wiring is an issue . The 2 volt cell i have comes from a forklift i think usually a whole bunch of them hooked up in series it is about 18 inchs tall and 6 inchs x2 inchs
    rates at 200 amp. what if any difference can i expect after adding the caps
    thanks for your reply

Thunderdome you can charge your 2v cell using your power supply. Just hook it up and turn voltage up so it charges at approximately 1-2 amps until it is charged fully. David Stox

Thumbs up track power

thanks david thats exactly what i had in mind
    thunderdome