Tues 4/24/07

Sprayglue Box 12 Wings on an American Blue King
    Every Tuesday
    Route 93 Raceway
    2211 Manchester Rd
    Akron, OH
    Ph 330 861-5000

Racing starts at 7:30 pm

The theater of the absurd was on vacation this week again, and this despite Danny returning from the world of toil to race with us again. Frank's still looking really straight, we had a high quality adult marshall who paid attention all race, and Danny, though hardly straight in appearance, was on his best behaviour. I even saw him use a lane change card.

Nothing much going on on the corruption front either. Bill brought Debbi some chocolate, but the racing was clean and really very close.

We did miss Breadman Steve and the little girl marshalls, but Frank thinks that they'll be back soon.

Place / Laps / Best lap / Driver

01 242 3.679 Danny Soukoup
    02 242 3.727 Frank Elavsky
    03 234 3.679 Bill Fulmer
    04 218 3.789 Greg Norris

Please come and join us!! Wing car racing and (usually) theater of the absurd for 2 hours and just $5. Beginners welcome!! We really have a good time.

Again, I can't picture that there aren't some more local TRRS or Tri-State ISRA racers who wouldn't enjoy this. $5 and any box 12 wing car.

Remember, the Monty Ohren challenge: first one to turn a non-rider race lap under 3 secs gets a bottle of bourbon from me and piece of baklava from Bill.

And if you just want to try it out, stop in and we'll loan you a car and a controller to try it out.

Greg

Tues 5/1/07

Tues 5/1/07

Every Tuesday
    Route 93 Raceway
    2211 Manchester Rd
    Akron, OH
    Ph 330 861-5000

The Theater of the Absurd is back from its 2 week Spring Break. Listen to this:
    Frank #1 - "I mowed the lawn yesterday"
    Frank #2 - "I didn't drink any beer yesterday"
    Frank #3 - "I'll have time to change my Grp 12 motor tomorrow, I don't have to work"

Debbie - "Actually, he was so surprised that the lawn mower started, that he went and got a beer to celebrate, and then forgot to mow the lawn"

Even she was was speechless after comment 3.

I'd like to write that the corruption finally worked, and actually, Bill did bring Debbie another Cadbury egg, and he did in fact win a close one. But in reality Bill was flying and we couldn't keep up.

My night was notable for 3 reasons:
    1) I was running the slowest 12 motor in the history of slot-racing, so I didn't do as badly as it looks. (That said, Frank's motor was the 2nd slowest ever, but at least his car has a better driver than mine.)
    2) I learned an important lesson: if your motor is really slow, your car handles really well.
    3) I used up my last set of 3/32 rear wheels from the Slotshop (I don't even remember when the Slotshop closed, it was so long ago!)

01 239 3.617 Bill Fulmer
    02 238 3.679 Danny Soukup
    03 235 3.625 Brian
    04 232 3.788 Frank Elavsky
    05 218 3.954 Greg Norris

Please come and join us!! Wing car racing and theater of the absurd for 2 hours and just $5. Beginners welcome!! We really have a good time.

Again, I can't picture that there aren't some more local TRRS or Tri-State ISRA racers who wouldn't enjoy this. $5 and any box 12 wing car.

Remember, the Monty Ohren challenge: first one to turn a non-rider race lap under 3 secs gets a bottle of bourbon from me and piece of baklava from Bill.

And if you just want to try it out, stop in and we'll loan you a car and a controller to try it out.

Greg

Tues 5/8/07

Tues 5/8/07

Every Tuesday
    Route 93 Raceway
    2211 Manchester Rd
    Akron, OH
    Ph 330 861-5000

It was a quiet night. Danny crashed out and didn't even take anybody with him. Frank really did work on his motor. Brian was driving real fast tonite. Bill's motor was still very fast, but he seemed to have some handling problems. It was great to see Dave back again!

Willi the marshall had a great night, and we thank him!

Debbie got some baklava from Bill, but that hasn't worked yet. Hard to know why, as Frank says she loves it.

For anybody following the other thread in the tech section concerning box 12s on slow tracks:
    I was tired tonite, and not driving particularly well. I ran the slick 7 express with 0.055 rails. The alpha medium wonders and the other bodies are not yet in, so I ran fullwidth alpha supernats at about 0.755 and an old OS Mercedes, 145x31 w 0.005 wings with all of the front mylar tape removed and a 0.005 kicker with a coating of mylar tape. Motor was a loaner kelly with a ? rjr arm. Gearing was 9:42.

I thought the motor needed to try different gearing (10:44), and that the softer wings and stiffer kicker made much more difference than I thought it would. The car handled better for sure, tho I need to make it a little faster and also drive much better. For next week, I'll change the gearing and maybe try a higher downforce body with 0.004 wings and a slt less stiff kicker. Maybe the alpha medium wonders will also be in.

01 239 3.680 Frank Elavsky
    02 231 3.734 Brian
    03 231 3.679 Bill Fulmer
    04 223 3.618 Danny Soukup
    05 218 3.890 Greg Norris
    06 215 3.851 Dave Laughlin

Please come and join us!! Wing car racing and sometimes even theater of the absurd for 2 hours and just $5. Beginners welcome!! We really have a good time.

And if you just want to try it out, stop in and we'll loan you a car and a controller.

Greg

Post Tues. 5/15/2007

Light turnout tonite,Greg N,aka The Poster Boy for TRRS, had to work.Those damn sick people don't have the courtesy to get sick during regular hours. Danny also had to work. Carwash joined us and we had enough to race.Dave wanted to show off the circuit protection in his 3rd eye
    controller and hooked up wrong on three lanes. IT WORKS So without further ado,the results:

Place/Laps/Best Lap/Driver

1. 236/3.62/Bill

2. 235/3.72/Frank

3. 234/3.63/Dave

4. 185/3.94/Carwash
    Remember the lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

Question Rt 93

Bill, did you mean ISRA? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by raceslot
    Bill, did you mean ISRA? LOL

No,there is another thread that refers to Greg as a TRRS success story,just playing that up.
    Remember the lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

I will have to look for that one. I did not see that. I do know Greg & Ron did do a great job with the ISRA series this past season.

Actually,

I've been the same mediocre racer in the Tri-State ISRA that I was in the TRRS, and before that in the weekly racing at the Slotshop in Elyria. Remarkably similar to my slow progress with the Box 12s at Rte 93 currently. In terms of racing success, the fastest I've been consistant was in racing falcon sprint cars at Rte 93. Guess I need to drive better. No matter tho, I always have fun!

On a different level, my biggest success in slot racing has been the lunches at Tri-State ISRA. :-)

Greg

Thats not really true, you ran real good in IRSA this past year from looking at the results & competition level. PS you could bring your kielbasa for dinner at RT 93. I have had it and its great.

Tues 5/22/07

Tues 5/22/07

Every Tuesday
    Route 93 Raceway
    2211 Manchester Rd
    Akron, OH
    Ph 330 861-5000

We had a good time. It was Frank's Birthday Race. Most of you are familiar with Lou's Birthday Race (You drive to Rotterdam NY, and race slot cars for 3 days, and drink alot at night. It's great!) Frank's Birthday Race is different, but still alot of fun. For this you come to the weekly box 12 race, watch Frank swear as he chews up spur gear after spur gear, while the rest of us have a good time racing in a very close race. We did sing Happy Birthday.

Danny was working again. So Bill lost a close one (1/2 lap) to Ron, who was driving fast with a loaner car from Dave. And Dave was going good himself.

Kevin, the racer, was Kevin the marshall for a night. Thanks so much!!

For anybody following the other thread in the tech section concerning box 12s on slow tracks:

BillyBob sent me a gorgeous red fox wire frame with a really long wheelbase and a great looking body to try. I didn't get it hooked up with the right tires initially, though after the race we got it to go well with alpha piranhas cut to the hub. I'll run it next week.

Yesterday I ran the slick 7 express with 0.055 rails again. Fullwidth alpha supernats at about 0.755 and an old OS Mercedes, 145x31 w 0.005 wings with all of the front mylar removed and a 0.005 kicker with a coating of mylar tape. Motor was a loaner kelly with a ? rjr arm. Chg'd the gearing from 9:42 to 10:44. Surprisingly, the gearing change didn't seem to make any difference.

01 230 3.790 Ron Smith
    02 230 3.616 Bill Fulmer
    03 225 3.680 Dave Laughlin
    04 218 3.898 Greg Norris
    05 191 3.742 Frank Elavsky

Please come and join us!! Wing car racing and sometimes even theater of the absurd for 2 hours and just $5. Beginners welcome!! We really have a good time.

Greg

Tues 5/29/07

Tues 5/29/07

Every Tuesday
    Route 93 Raceway
    2211 Manchester Rd
    Akron, OH
    Ph 330 861-5000

Danny is back. Surprisingly, the Theater of the Absurd is still on Summer Break.

Bill's on vacation, at the Isle of Mann watching the motorcycle races and will be gone for 2 more weeks (That's not a joke, we all wanted to go too, but he wasn't buying!) Debbie is in full chocolate withdrawal. She's looking for a 12 step group. (The rest of us could use one too, though not for chocolate.) Surprisingly (given the circumstances), she did a good job race directing.

Danny said that my chassis was an antique, but that the motor and the body had a future. As you'll see below, this was before the race.

It was a good race. Frank won by 2 laps. I was 2nd. Danny's motor slowed mid-race, before that he was neck and neck with me. Dave was a little off after a fabulous race last time out. Breadman Steve was back, and broke 200 laps for the first time.

For the first time, I ran BillyBob's beautiful red fox wire frame with the really long wheelbase and a real pretty OS Vette that he painted up. Cut 145 x (I think) 31, .005 side dams, .005 kicker (to which I added mylar tape 3/4 way up), a really fast B-53-mega 3 set-up w a Koford arm from Ron VW, geared 10/44, green alphas cut to the hub.

01 243 3.679 Frank Elavsky
    02 241 3.617 Greg Norris (Yippee!)
    03 231 3.571 Danny Soukup
    04 220 3.788 Dave Laughlin
    05 209 4.062 Breadman Steve

Danny's thinking that I've got one fast antique. I think that this is correct, but also that the body is near perfect for our track, and it never hurts to have a truly ballistic motor.

Greg

Rt93

Greg, I think it must of been that music that DJ frank had cranked up. LOL
    Do you have that CD.

Tues 6/12/07

Well, I missed last week due to business travel. Don't know what happened.

Tonight I was stuck in traffic on the way to Akron, kept calling Frank at the track. No answer times many. So I called Dave Laughlin, who informed me that the track had been hit by lightening the other night and the computers are in need of some work and the track was going to be closed 6/8-12.

Seems to me that there are 2 possibilities here:

1) The track was truly struck by lightening. This undoubtedly because I almost won a race 2 weeks ago.

2) Dave's phone call was a trick, in order to keep me away, so that he and Danny would still have a chance tonite.

Bill will be back from the Isle of Mann next week, so we should all be back at the track for a big race next Tuesday.

See you all then!!

Greg

Tues 6/19/07

Tues 6/19/07

Every Tuesday
    Route 93 Raceway
    2211 Manchester Rd
    Akron, OH
    Ph 330 861-5000

The damage from the lightening strike from the big hail storm 10 days ago is repaired, though Debbie and Frank are a good deal poorer for it. Blew the main circuit box right off of the back of the building. The only good news there is that it happened while no one was there, all of the computers were turned off, and the building didn't burn down.

So we were all back racing after 2 weeks off. Actually, Bill was gone almost a month, watching the motorcycle racing on the Isle of Man. It was fun, quiet night. The only funny thing that happened was Debbie, Danny, and Bill simultaneously keeling over laughing when I asked Debbie if Frank had gotten any work done around the house while the track was closed. And the only weird thing that happened was that I won, but more about that later.

Bill is back, and Debbie no longer is suffering from chocolate withdrawal. She got Lord Montagu of Beaulieu dark chocolate mint cremes from the Isle of Man. And here I thought that Montague was a small town on the west coast of Michigan. Looked expensive, and she liked them a lot.

It was a strange race. Frank's car was slow, but he was driving fast, falling back only with a hard last heat in black. Danny's car was better, and he was driving great, even got a 29 in black, which is flying for us. My car was 0.1s per lap faster than everyone else's, but with 45 sec to go, I was still 1.5 laps down, but Danny ran out of tire, and I was able to gain 1.5 laps over the last 5 laps to win by 4 feet. Hardly a convincing victory, and pretty clear evidence that I'm not the world's fastest driver, but I'll take it.

Both Dave and Bill were rusty. That'll be gone by next week, and I'm predicting some very close racing over the next few weeks.

For those who followed the other thread in the tech section concerning box 12s on slow tracks:

For the second time, I ran BillyBob's beautiful Red Fox wire frame with the really long wheelbase and a real pretty OS Vette that he painted up. Cut 145 x 31, .005 side dams, .005 kicker (to which I added mylar tape 3/4 way up), a really fast B-52-mega 3 set-up with a Koford arm from Ron VW, geared 10/44, green alphas cut to the hub. Only change from last race: I moved the motor back 1/16" by changing from a beveled to a straight spur.

01 237 3.571 Greg Norris
    02 237 3.680 Danny Soukup
    03 230 3.836 Frank Elavsky
    04 226 3.789 Bill Fulmer
    05 221 3.727 Dave Laughlin

Please come and join us!! Wing car racing for 2 hours for just $5. The theater of the absurd is currently on summer break, but will likely be back soon. Beginners welcome!! We really have a good time.

And if you just want to try it out, stop in and we'll loan you a car and a controller to try it out. Again, I can't picture that there aren't some more local TRRS or Tri-State ISRA racers who wouldn't enjoy this. $5 and any box 12 wing car.

Greg

Tues 6/26/07

Tues 6/26/07

Every Tuesday
    Route 93 Raceway
    2211 Manchester Rd
    Akron, OH
    Ph 330 861-5000

Well, the theater of the absurd is definitely on vacation, and the racing is cool and laid back. There was some humor though:

* Bill brought Debbie an enormous piece of chocolate. But it didn't work at all.
    * Frank and Danny spent the night doing an imitation of the odd couple: Frank: "Danny, you put that car down 10 ft ahead of where you stopped." Danny: "BS, I put it 10 feet behind where I took it off, and besides that's not nearly as bad as that time in 1973." Frank: "What time in '73?" Danny: "When you nerfed me in the donut when I was leading that race." and on and on x 20-30 minutes.

Pretty amusing. Some worthwhile information too: Who would have thought that either of those guys remembers 1973?

Good race: Danny was fast but blew a spur gear. I had a fast car but couldn't drive. Bill was actually pretty fast, but his car didn't handle well. Frank was both steady and fast.

For those who followed the other thread in the tech section concerning box 12s on slow tracks:

I put a brand-new and very fast Ron vW motor into my Slick 7 express, geared 10:44, added a full height, full length OS Vette, .005 side dams, .005 kicker (to which I added mylar tape 3/4 way up), orange alphas, fullwidth, large hub. It was very fast, but harder to drive than the even longer, even more flexible wire Red Fox chassis.

01 239 3.570 Frank Elavsky
    02 238 3.742 Danny Soukup
    03 233 3.523 Greg Norris
    04 218 3.898 Bill Fulmer

I'll be out of town for a week or 2, so hopefully Bill will report in my absence.

Please come and join us!! Wing car racing for 2 hours for just $5. Beginners welcome!! We really have a good time.

And if you just want to try it out, stop in and we'll loan you a car and a controller to try it out. Again, I can't picture that there aren't some more local TRRS or Tri-State ISRA racers who wouldn't enjoy this. $5 and any box 12 wing car.

Greg