Thread: Need Power recommendations???

Need Power recommendations???

We have a Steve O. King Track that has 7 taps. We have 30amp Auto relays for each lane, 5 pole type. What is needed to bring this track up to power as far as batteries and or Power Supply?

Thank you!

SlotcarJames:
    Talk to RomanK He is one of the best on the east coast. And a great guy to work with.

James, The batteries and power supplies were picked up with the track? Why isn't the track up to power? ECR

What type cars will you be running on the
    this track? You have plenty of taps for gr.7,
    but the relays are weak!

More Info

There was another thread, asking about Batteries vs. Power Supplies, in the main Slot Car Talk forum.

Slapshot posted some good guidelines...

Here's a link to it:

Batteries vs. Power Supplies Thread
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oglking...Kingogl....

Roman's the man...being the closest local authourity he can point you into the right direction to relays,batteries, and wireing upgrade recomendations. Heck if you offer money he will even be happier. Hurricane Larry and Bentrim have thier vast knowlege too.

Paul:The Power Supply batteries thread is really opinionated guidelines (alright mostly opinions) more in favour of power supplies. Theres a lot of variables involved and some things as far as tracks go depend on the track itself. Adding such things as bolting the track and banks down, surface condition, ect.

I agree with Gary the relays should be upgraded. You can still use the ones you got to power some higher amperage load relays for simplicity. Sounds like it has the original SRT board. I will dig up some links later.

It also would help to know what you already have and then everyone can give you a wish list. Also what type of racing classes are you aiming at? If you have Rivergate/Bulldog supplies what type and how many do you have and what and how many batteries? And take a look at the wiring harness and let us know what guage is on the track 10-8?

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 10-25-2006 at 11:22 PM.

I'm working with Roman on this, based on price and performance I am going with 3 8D's from Napa, two 1.0 Farad Caps, and two 90amp Bull Dogs.

I would not use 8D batteries. They are not designed to be continually discharged/charged. A better choice would be to use 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in a series. They will last, and in the long run you will save money.

Power supplies are usually rated in watts, and you need to be careful not to confuse peak wattage with continuous watts.

Put as many amps to the track as you can afford with the batteries. The cars will run better and cooler.