Thread: When does a slot car track get to hard

When does a slot car track get to hard

Here is a question I had to ask myself over the past few months. When does a slot car track become to tough to drive. Is it when adding magnets no longer keeps you on the track? Or is it when even with a heavy magnet car you still have to lift for a turn? Is there a balance of using magnets to over come high CG and using them to aid in driving ability? Whats the difference between a technical track and having to actually slow down for a turn and a track to hard to drive?

Driving 101

1)Speed up in the straightaways.
    2)Slow down for the corners.
    3)Avoid crashing into anything.
    4)Drift it when you can.

WHY would you even think that driving a slotcar full speed everywhere is part of the game? Slotracing is NOT a videogame.

Magnets are artificial gravity - only when the car goes slow enough to stay centered on the rails . Real MASS is real gravity that allows traction even when the car is sideways.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

I understand Driving 101 and don't expect slot cars to be a video game. But As I have been learning lately some people have problems with certain types of turns or track configuration. This in respect to plastic 1/32 tracks. My original post was meant to be a more opened ended question to see when people thought a track gets to tough and removes the fun. I have a pictures of the track in question as soon as I crop them I will post them here.

When it takes more marshalls to marshall the track, than drivers to drive the track. Otherwise it couldn't be tough enough.

Everyone is on a learning curve:

Some folks like easy tracks - like just a big circle.....I like one straight and the rest curves in some form or another of a figure - eight.

More marshals than drivers...right on. Most home tracks do not have enough drivers to do anything but SELF marshall---just stop crashing to make more laps.

A balenced and tuned car makes for good/happy racing. Since 1960: TUNING has always included changing tires, gearing, and weight in the car to make it competitive with other cars of a similar body style. I see too much of the " leave it as it came from the factory" mentality. Tuning helps support your local raceway or hobby shop, too.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 12-01-2006 at 02:28 AM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

there's no such thing as too hard of a track, only too poor of a driver.

As long as the track isn't bumpy and the guide slot is flush, it should be fun! i think you need to lay off the magnets as well as your trigger finger.

Yup. Speaking as one...

Originally posted by MotorMaster
    there's no such thing as too hard of a track, only too poor of a driver.
    OK. Not really poor but there is one track in our club that I just can't seem to get the hang of. It has more 90 turns than any others. I usually end up in the top part of the field on all our club tracks BUT this one. Here is a link to some photos and a video:
    http://mgpmrc.org/gallery/20061022/20061022_01.htm

Practice practice practice. And as someone said before, if there is a need for more marshals than drivers then there is probably a problem.

This is supposed to be a FUN and cahallenging sport. TOO technical will scare off most anyone these days.

Just my $0.02
    Vince
    www.mgpmrc.og