Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G-Jet vrs. ThunderStorm Test

G-Jet vrs. ThunderStorm Test

I finally got to test a brand new G-Jet against a brand new Thunderstorm, right out of the package.

The results

Kind of a small track, 4 X 12 Tyco
    Trakemate Variable Power Supply, 10 Amps.
    Parma Turbo 25 ohm Controller
    Trakemate Timing System

12 Volts, both cars.

The G-Jet is by far the superior car, hands down, almost a 1 second difference in lap times. Handles better.

18 Volts, both cars.

For some reason the G-Jet was faster on the straights but the lap times were closer together, the G-Jet still had better lap times but the T-Storm seened to corner a little better at this voltage.

14 Volts, both cars.

Almost Dead even, maybe even a little edge to the T-Storm at this voltage. The T-Storm does seem to handle much better at this speed.

Now

The G-Jet was a rolling chassis with a body added, $49.95

The T-Storm was a packaged car with body already mounted and taped from WHP, $59.95, also, had to remove quite a bit of material from the front bottom of the body so the body wouldn't scrape on the track, mounting wasn't great.

All in all, both cars were fun to drive, but tha G-Jet was easier car to drive and seem to handle better at all voltages. I just think it was researched a little better.

Where are G-Jets sold? Any pics?
    --
    Phil Smith

One place to get the Gjet is Scale Auto
    http://scaleauto.com/bsrt/gjet_car.htm

Our club ordered 15 of these cars and they are so close in racing it is scary.

One Note:

Our local BSRT Dealer says that if anyone has an exceptionally fast G-Jet and claims it to be packaged stock, Gary wants the car back to check it out, there should never be a great discrepency in lap times for these cars as they are all tuned at BSRT and should all be very close.

Thanks for the info. Neat car. It's ashame they require 12 volts. Even though 12 volts may be better than 18 volts, everyone already has 18 volt power supplies and that's what all other ho cars require. I would think that's going to hurt any chances of wide spread acceptance.

That said, I have a variable voltage power supply! If ever get my track set back up I'll definitely have to buy some.

--
    Phil Smith

I don't think the 12 volt thing is a problem, I would guess that about 90% of tracks are powered by variable volt power supplies or batteries, turn the voltage down to 12 or unhook 1 battery. BSRT does sell a 12 volt power supply just for G-Gets for only $25 also.

Well hopefully they'll catch on. Certainly a neat car.
    --
    Phil Smith

Phil, the $25 BSRT power supply will supposedly run 4 G-Jet cars without any problem. Problem solved. I actually have one but havent finished the new track yet for it. Glenn
    MR Speed

I'm not sure if the track I race on (when I race that is-Friday was the first time I raced in a year) has a variable voltage power supply. I'll mention these cars and ask about the power next time I go. It's a six lane track (two six lanes and a four lane that doesn't get used actually), so one BSRT probably wouldn't cut it.

If you have to switch power supplies to run G-Jets--that's kind of a pain. A variable power supply would be ideal.
    --
    Phil Smith

Glen: Are you building a seperate G Jet track?

Gjet v. G3

How much of a difference is there in speed between the new G-Jet and the stock G3? I have a four lane Tomy track at my middle school club powered by four individual wall packs. Will these be enough to power the G-Jet or do I need the $25 12 volt power supply? If so, how do I use the existing Tomy power tracks with the modular connectors? This is all very exciting! Thanks for the information!

Larry, I AM building a seperate G=Jet track out of Tomy track. I am not going to do the continous rail effort here because of costs and work involved, but I am doing all of the mods to the locking tabs to make it smooth as possible. We may be able to run our SS carcs on it but no polymer stuff as I am not gluing the rails in place. The track design is going to be a copy of Lemans and it will be 5X16 or so, I can send you a picture of it in an email. Glenn
    MR Speed

Just got your email. Nice track design. Now I don't have to go to France! See you at Banta Raceway on Saturday.

I have a 29 foot 4 lane tomy track with a wall plug to each seperated lane. Will running those (Gjet /Tstorm) on it hurt the cars in the long term if they are meant for 12 volts?
    - Justin

The parts may wear out a little faster but, you can get replacement parts fairly easy. I ran my Gjet at around 15 volts for awhile and its still ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast