Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G-Jet vrs. ThunderStorm Test

Justin,

I would recommend buying one of the BSRT 12 volt power supplies. As mentioned in this thread it is a bargain for $25.00.

I bought one to race G-Jet's on my home track. I have also raced both the Thunderstorm and G-jet and the G-jet is by far a superior car on 12 volts.

In all fairness each car is built for different power applications so it is really hard to compare them. (I do like the 14 volt test that Mickey performed.)

I would like to make the point that BSRT has identified what other manufacturers fail to see.

BSRT has engineered a car that fits the needs of the seasoned and beginning racer.

G-Jet's are fast enough for the seasoned racer and uncomplicated enough for the beginner to enjoy themselves without the frustration of trying to be competitive in other entry level classes.

Meaning: Super Stock and T-Jets are not beginnerís classes but it is generally where everyone is directed to when they start.

Thunderstorms are sold as an entry level car but they are designed for 18 volts and simply to fast and not manageable for the beginner.

BSRT has hit a home run and I donít think it is a matter of if theyíll catch on but more a matter of providing the hobby and sport what it needs.

New life!

John Miller

gjets on my cheapo track..

The reason I asked about higer voltages is due to my poverty. I have a 4 lane Tomy track with seperated (power) lanes run by four wall plugs. I don't think I could hook one of those 25 buck power suplies to it without rebuilding and rewireing (If this is not true let me know. Maybe a crazy adapter?).
    - Justin

Anyone have a pic of a Tstorm? Lid off preferably? Thanks..
    - Justin

Originally posted by ThChrMn
    Thunderstorms are sold as an entry level car but they are designed for 18 volts and simply to fast and not manageable for the beginner.
    I didn't think any HO arms other than the hot winds were specifically designed for 18 volts, or even slot cars. I thought they were low voltage arms manufactured for use in electronics such as cameras, DVD player tray motors, etc. When used in a slot car and fed high voltage, these arms fly. I assume the G-Jets are using the same arms that are used in other 18 volt cars, and that 12 volts is required to slow them down to a manageable speed.

So that begs the question: What about running Thunderstorms on 12 volts?
    --
    Phil Smith

Originally posted by Justin
    Anyone have a pic of a Tstorm? Lid off preferably? Thanks..
    --
    Phil Smith

Phil, actually the G-Jet was designed with a 9 ohm armature not a 6 ohm that comes stock in Tycos, G3's, Thundercats and the Storm also. Having the power turned down to 12 volts makes these cars a blast to drive. We have even raced them at 11 volts and bettered the track records set at the 12 volt race. Glenn
    MR Speed

Hello Phil,

When I stated that the Thunderstorm was designed to run on 18 volts it was a holistic statement.

Meaning: The tires, weight system, ride height, ECT. . .

I was not referring to simply the armature.

Although, the 9 ohm armature performs better than a 6 ohm arm on 12 volts. The power curve is much smoother.

Out of curiosity, do you think that the Thunderstorm is a beginnerís car that can be raced and managed by the entry level driver?

John
    Last edited by ThChrMn; 02-05-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Justin,

That is a great question: How can the wall warts easily be reduced to 12 volts?

I am confident one of the guys on this board knows how.

You could easily splice in the 12 volt system to the wires coming out from the wall warts and use either 12 volts or 18 volts.

Just plug in the one you want to run on.

Sounds a bit dicey.

I am confidnet that others have suggestions.

John
    Last edited by ThChrMn; 02-05-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Gary Beedles new 12 volt power supply is capable of running atleast 6 cars. We used his power supply last April during the Nuvolari Six Hour Enduro, "Battle Of The Gjets. Stez

If you have some electrical experience,you could use diodes to drop your wallwarts power output.
    Another easier way would be to add a varible resistor or pot to the hot (+) side of your wallwart,this isn't quite as good as the diodes,but it's easier to do

What I was wondering about was getting some wall wart orange plugs and using them to wire up an adapter to attach to that cheap 12 volt supply. I have standard tomy power tracks that take the orange plugs..

That way I can use my 18 volt wallwarts, or unplug them, and then plug in adapter wires wired to the 12 volt supply. Both worlds cheap.

Even buying the power supply, plugs (assuming I can), and wire, I bet it would still be alot cheaper than buying a real variable power supply. Aren't they a couple hundred bucks?

If I would have built this track with real drivers stations and wired in powertracks none of this would be an issue. But what I have is basicallty an extended Super International wih two extra power tracks and wallwarts.. So I gotta make this work on the cheap. I am officially broke forever as of tomarrow. I just bought a 1965 Ford Falcon..
    - Justin

Justin,

That was my first car! Had a V8 too!

Your plug idea wouild work.

Are you guys having a hard time bringing up page 3 . I can't seem to find it.

There was some weirdness last night. I think the forum lost some data or something...
    - Justin

Gjet/ 12 volt

Thanks for the info gentlemen! Like Justin, I am on a budget with my middle school race club and have a similar setup, four lanes with a wall pack for each- according to what's been said one 25$ 12 volt power supply can power all four lanes, right? I could easily take four orange modular plugs and splice them to the 25 supply and power four lanes. Now I just have to save up some money to get a couple of G-Jets!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast