Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to support local tracks. BUT...

I think that once again, Jim HT summed it up very well.

Why continue to encourage the "big fish, little pond" way of thinking that has almost killed the commercial raceways?

I race 1:32 homeset cars in a local club, just in the last 2 years it's gone from one track in the founder's garage to 8 tracks in various types and styles all over the greater Los Angeles area. We average over 20 racers every race, we race every 2 weeks.While the little plastic cars don't appeal to everyone, it sure beats not having a single raceway in Los Angeles county.

And like all racing, if the cars are close in specs.and the track is hard to drive, the racing is close and fun, what more do you need?

We all throw a whopping 5 bucks in the kitty each day we race, this almost pays for the drinks, snacks and in some cases the complete BBQ lunches that the host track owner provides.

It's a blast.

John E.

How about this?

I used to race in a weekly NASCAR series at a local track.

Race entry fee $6-7.

After the race, three entrants received a voucher good for use at the track.

They were selected at random.

So, everyone had a chance to win a prize, plus we had fun racing.

I think that is great value for your $$$!
    "A man's home is his coffin".... Al Bundy.

Thumbs down Good Thinking

We should all have basements built, construct home raceways, and race “plastic cars”; I will be the first to jump ship and find another more meaningful, gratifying and challenging hobby if racing “plastic cars” at home is the only venue left in slot cars…; this thinking really helps support current raceways!

Carlos.
    “THE BEST TEAM WINS-ACE RACING SYSTEM”

USRA need to trim some classes

Quote Originally Posted by mark g
    in europe the rules are much more uniform then in the U.S.. everyone is racing the same stuff from raceway to raceway.

Is that what you are finding Traveler?

BTW, hows that Gold Crown workin out?
    Here's how it works here in Europe. First of all with wing cars there are only four classes(HINT...HINT USRA 4 F.O.U.R 4 CLASSES) G12(AM only), G27(AM/Pro), OMO(AM/Pro) and G7(Pro Only) HINT...HINT USRA.....and soon to be three, dropping G27 because of being just as fast or as close as OMO.

The scale series has three classes Production(with H/O motors AM only), GT12(AM/Pro) and ES24(Pro only). These are not raced on the same weekend and no matter whether wing or scale weekend there will be 30plus different racers in each class.

There is not a ISRA series here, but there are plenty of warm-up races for the ISRA Championship in Slovakia this year.

There is a premium placed on socializing, racing the best racers and drinking BEER!!! The part I like most about missing the move up. Over here they have clubs no commercial raceways. Not saying that the same philosophy cant work for commercial raceways. Raceways cant sell beer, ok....but you can stop giving away all of your profits to someone who is running off racers week after week. Initially, it may not be accepted, but in the end if someone wants to race, they'll suck it up and realize that the racing didnt stop because they stop coming out, but actually there are more racers then there was when they won every week!!!

The Crown and I are still trying to feel each other out.

The Traveler
    "No Good Man Travels Alone"

Many years ago............... I found the best local weekly racing was racing where there was no entry fees involved or charged and no payback except for low cost ribbons or plaque. I think we had stickers made up.

This did two things that improved the bottom line of the raceway.... ( it still closed I might add for other reasons )

1. The racers who either never could win or the customers who didn't want to spend money to race, came out in droves because they felt they didn't have anything to lose and raced. We went from 5 to 7 entries in the heat of summer to over 30 entries in the heat of summer because of no entry fees and the rest felling like they donated to the same one or two guys who always won.

2. The raceway benefited greatly in the additional sales of parts, lane stickers, track time, soda, candy, etc. It's always better to have 30 hungry and thirsty mouths versus 5 or 7.

One additional benefit that sometimes happens..... the guy(s) who were winning all the time and chasing off customers either quit racing, to the enjoyment of others or adapted to the system and had loads of fun with the others and would help other racers to get better and make their cars better.

No money paid in or out...equals more in the store spending money and enjoying their time in the store.
    "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

Quote Originally Posted by The Traveler
    Here's how it works here in Europe. First of all with wing cars there are only four classes(HINT...HINT USRA 4 F.O.U.R 4 CLASSES) G12(AM only), G27(AM/Pro), OMO(AM/Pro) and G7(Pro Only) HINT...HINT USRA.....and soon to be three, dropping G27 because of being just as fast or as close as OMO. The Traveler
    The USRA doen't have to take the hint...... it's the racers in the USRA that need to take the hint.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hershman
    ...... it's the racers in the USRA that need to take the hint.
    What kind of odds you give me on that happening? Bill
    Remember the lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

acecarlos said:
    We should all have basements built, construct home raceways, and race “plastic cars”; I will be the first to jump ship and find another more meaningful, gratifying and challenging hobby if racing “plastic cars” at home is the only venue left in slot cars…; this thinking really helps support current raceways!
    Making slot car racing too much like real racing has always been the problem.
    Nowadays we have technology & tracks designed for it that is way beyond what most folks want to do with toys.
    There's been an assumption by the garage manufacturers of the high tech whims of the moment that everyone out there wants their stuff to race.
    Not true. In fact, it's only the SCM's at the "big" races that want high tech & there have always only been a few races each year that attract such racers.
    What's even sillier, most manufacturers in the industry can't meet what little demand for their product such races generate.

In addition, just like real race cars, it's the fragility & expense of maintenance that's the issue. Not everyone wants to devote hours so they can play for minutes. One to one racing has sponsors & spectators to pay the bills & provide the prizes. There's not a Raceway or manufacturer in the business that can afford to sponsor anything.
    Raceways generally have to survive off the entertainment value of slots, not the racing.
    Filling a track up a couple of times a week with serious racers doesn't even begin to pay the bills.
    As has been brought up countless times before...all we have now is the top of the pyramid, there's no base.
    The Hobby is and always has been about playing with little toy cars first & racing last. Offering toys & deemphasizing "RACING" is certainly the best solution I've seen offered...way better than faster tracks & more expensive high tech toys.
    Club/home racing provides a potential base to make commercial Raceways more profitable.
    Successful racing elsewhere in the world is based on Clubs that have their own tracks...does that say something?
    If enough racers show up at any Raceway to have a race, that's what we do, but it's not profitable.
    "I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." -- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

I raced at Keystone when there was a pay out and when Mark changed it to no pay outs. The one thing with pay out racing people thought they could finance there racing buy winning and got upset if they didn't. Now I see more people there having fun racing to win becasue we are competive type people not because the payout. Mark's Friday night regulars are a great bunch of guys to race with they run clean and will help another racer if the can. I got into this hobby to get out of the house and have some fun with other people. Before my wife and I had our first child I spent alot of time shooting sporting clays, Trap and pistol shooting. You want to talk about getting expensive. Every Hobby has an expense Fishing, Hunting, Bowling, boating, etc. It all has a cost like it or not. I find myself having my best races when I go to have fun and not to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fulmer
    What kind of odds you give me on that happening? Bill

ZERO!!!!!!!!!

Even at 15 bucks for entry fee. I would think that is still a cheap way to pay for a form of entertainment. Fifteen dollars might pay for a movie, a drink and a wittle bag of Cheetos.

Just my two pennies

Ron

I think that race fees and track bucks are what everyone seems to focus on, but forget about the fringe benefits. The ANE AMCA, and the ISRA series offer lunch with paid entry fees and the price for track time is really cheap. Just about any other recreational activity would cost a lot more to participate in. they could always lower race fees and charge for lunch, or jack up the cost of parts. When I go racing, I know exactly what I have to spend, and end up spending it all at the track. If that means running 3 races or 5, the fact is that I spend what I can, and support the track as much as I can. Its nice to be able to go to the track and race even if funds are tight.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Herrera
    Even at 15 bucks for entry fee. I would think that is still a cheap way to pay for a form of entertainment. Fifteen dollars might pay for a movie, a drink and a wittle bag of Cheetos.

Just my two pennies

Ron
    I never got any prizes from my local theater or any other form of entertainment that I paid for.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hershman
    I never got any prizes from my local theater or any other form of entertainment that I paid for.
    That means you been paying for the wrong kind of entertainment!
    Remember the lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeD
    After the race, three entrants received a voucher good for use at the track.

They were selected at random.

So, everyone had a chance to win a prize, plus we had fun racing.

I think this might be the best way to do prizes if at all.

I know I always laugh to myself seeing some little kid excited about his track dollars and then trying to spend them instantly.
    Jeff Freitas

I love my cheater controller

IICWIDP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast