would most of you consider 14.2 volts as resonable to run box 12 cars on
    or is is it high?
    Thunderdome Slotcar Raceway
    I Got the Sickness
    Home to a very Fast King Track

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track

Power

We run everything at 14.28 VDC
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

I was always a proponent of 12.75 as a cap on volts and every major race I ran had new Worlds Records set at that cap. THe first sub 2 second lap was made in Australia by Reggie Coram at 12.75 volts. Shortly after that, I began to lose control (as if I ever had it) after the Florida Nats race where the cap was .... lets say.... taken off! .
    I personally know of raceways running Box Stock 12 races powered by 2 Golf Cart Batteries and a 75 amp Bulldog. Plenty of power and zero problems. What do I recommend? TWO golf cart batteries per lane with 7 taps and a service station charger on full start mode... but I digresss.....jf
    RACE DIRECTORS... Want Free Subscription certificates to SARN to use as race prizes or door prizes? They are FREE for the asking. Email me at: johnford@slotmail.org and let me know how many you need for each event. S.A.R.N. Scale Auto Racing News...Serving slot racers since 1979.

PM Hurricane Larry, he is someone who can answer power questions. He does the power at Port Jeff. Roman is seriously qualified as well as he is keeper of the juice at The Track, this years site of the USRA Wing Nats.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanK
    We run everything at 14.28 VDC
    How do you keep it at 14.28 Roman when most batteries only do 13.8? Do the power supplies and capacitors keep it up that good even with eight high powered motors running?
    Byron

USRA member #380013

"Pain Heals
    Chicks Dig Scars
    Glory Last Forever"

http://www.victorylaneraceway.com

14.2v is a good power to run box 12 on, as long as there is sufficient amps. what are you using for your power system?
    Boola Racing

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
    How do you keep it at 14.28 Roman when most batteries only do 13.8? Do the power supplies and capacitors keep it up that good even with eight high powered motors running?
    Yup, it's all a function of having enough power supplies on the track to maintain the voltage at that level. The Caps help overcome the momentary requirements for higher current then the PS's maintain it. I don't have a meter in the Race Directors booth but racers have told me that we rarely dip below 14 VDC even with the go fast stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickerthanu
    14.2v is a good power to run box 12 on, as long as there is sufficient amps. what are you using for your power system?
    You're right Josh...gotta have them amps...I buy mine by the gallon at the "Amps" store down the street from the raceway.

I always make sure to have an extra jug or 2 of amps on hand just in case you speedy West coast guys show up

See, thats where you went wrong Roman.... Swofford buys them by the 55 gallon barrel! LOL
    Boola Racing

See, thats where you went wrong Roman.... Swofford buys them by the 55 gallon barrel! LOL
    Yeah I know but the "amps" in 55 gallon drums are diluted......the one gallon jug "Amps" are concentrated

Quote Originally Posted by RomanK
    Yeah I know but the "amps" in 55 gallon drums are diluted......the one gallon jug "Amps" are concentrated
    Maybe where you see your 55 gallon drums, but out here in So Cal, we got Connections Our drums got more bang then a nuclear reactor
    Boola Racing

Wink

Our drums got more bang then a nuclear reactor
    BS if you are getting them in Ca. they are that "Enviroment Safe" crap out

there and are totally worthless!
    Remember the lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

Silly Bill, Environment Safe is for suckers... We have Mexico only a few hours from us... We get anything we want from there Or Nevada or Arizona, We got Connections
    Boola Racing

Thumbs up 14 .2 volts

Have sufficant amps from power supplies batteries and caps to hold the power stable at 14.2
    power is clean some racers at our Nats have suggested that it was a little high they want good solid power and when they get it and motors let out some of that funny smelling smoke it's the power thats wrong not the way motors are built or cars running to much tire or wing.
    just wondering what was the norm in USA.
    Thunderdome Slotcar Raceway
    I Got the Sickness
    Home to a very Fast King Track

Even though the power at the Australian Nats was good and solid (and as clean as a whistle) 14.2 volts is, IMHO, too much for group 12 Wing Cars.

Group 12 motors are designed and built to a price, and the performance that we are gettting out of them could only be dreamed of 5 years ago, let alone 25 or 30 years ago when they were first dreamed up. As a result they are really pushing the envelope of the technology and are right on the ragged edge of reliability. All you have to do is push them a fraction over the limit with a sticky track or too high voltage and suddenly the whole plot starts to unravel.

If you run these things at 14.2 volts there is a very high probability that your motor will lay down after 2 or 3 brackets. No, it won't go *POOF* but it will require a recondition. That's OK if you have plenty of motors sitting in your box, but not everybody does.

In the US, racers generally have more equipment available to them than here in Australia. Ergo, it's not such a big deal for US racers to change motors every few brackets. However, your average Aussie racer DOESN'T have a box full of strong G12 motors. So, when you hit them with 14.2 volts they suffer. They suffer because their motors are over stressed, and then they suffer because they don't have the motors to back up with.

FWIW, the Australian Spray-Glue race record is 502 laps, and that was run with one motor on 13.3 volts. You DON'T need high power to have good fast racing. In Australia if you run the power at a high level you increase the chances of racers running out of motors. The only two racers in the G12 Wing Main at the Australian Nats who went the entire distance without some kind of failure were me and Russell Gale. I have raced in the States and know what to expect when high power is used, so I had an advantage. Russell was using one of my motors...

So, the lesson is that you can run high power if you have well equipped racers. But if your racers are less well equipped (as we are here in OZ) then they will suffer.
    Acme Slot Cars - Vorsprung durch slotnik

acmeslotcars.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast