Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: track power

Talking Guilty

I guess i'am guilty of wanting to like those tracks in the USA The Track, Buena Park and Port Jeff i am the sort of person to push things to the limit so i follow the example set by those tracks some racers did have trouble with the power. The thing is we run on this power every week with little or no problem.
    I'did like to think i helping in the evolution of slotcar racing in this country and if you don't try new things you just stay were you are.
    Thunderdome Slotcar Raceway
    I Got the Sickness
    Home to a very Fast King Track

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdome
    if you don't try new things you just stay were you are.
    You are absolutely right. If we didn't try out overseas trends for ourselves, then we'd simply turn into an isolated little backwater. Not everything from overseas will work for us, but we can't know which things are right for us without trying them.
    Acme Slot Cars - Vorsprung durch slotnik

acmeslotcars.com

What would the extra amps do for me, if I happened to give my car an additional 1,2,3 or 5 amps. At the moment, my home track runs 13 amp at either 12vdc or 13.8vdc (I forget which...)

Gallons of 55 Drums vs the metric liter

Disclamer: Keep in mind this is only my opinion and I will offer no other opinon,rebuttles or ideas. This is not a glue vs no glue or wing vs scale or batteries vs no batteries opinon...just some facts....If I feel like at any time deleting this post of mine I will....

As the minor guilty party to the drum vs gallon power supply system in slot cars both west and east coast I am going to infuse some alternate thinking here. By the way the concentrate is from the same source just with different labels. I am not a tech wizard.... just willing to try new ideas. I will try not to sound like a scene out of the Matrix here.....but....

The voltage usage of todays slot cars are based on the use of batteries.

That has merited the use of a higher voltage and amperage to keep both the batteries and racing up to the rated value the batteries demand. The cars and batteries demand both voltage and amperage. So in essence you are not only raceing on a particular V/A range but chargeing the batteries as you go if the demand is more than the feed.

Now take away the battery factor....

As John Ford... I am a 12-13 volt proponent. Mostly 12V. In the NW (other areas also) a few tracks here have gone that route for decades. With another twist...no batteries. Clean Higher amperage is must when using this method. As you lower the voltage the amperage demand goes up. Then again without the batteries you are not haveing to charge the batteries. So all that amperage goes to the cars instead. It does demand that you have very clean server type switching supplies with higher amperage. It also means building motors for the lower voltage and limited amperage. A challenge offered to the racers as it is different thinking. Average commeracial tracks would then need in the range of 200-300 Amps clean power minimum. That is if you use spray glue and not applied glue. That is the less popular part of this type of power system.

As John said this is a losing battle as the demand is for multiple batteries and high amps which also requires higher voltage.

Batteries in multiple create a amperage safety buffer for the amperage that open motors and glue situation demands. The glue infuses the demand for more amperage as the drain on the batteries need the higher amperage and voltage to charge them plus maintain a voltage and amperage level to sustain racing peak levels. As more rubber is laid down to the track surface or glue is added the amperage demand goes up. So does the drain on the power level to sustain the need amounts to continually charge batteries. The start up after a track call has the highest demand on the your power requirements.

In a spray glue situation the amperage and voltage level is inherant on the amount of rubber that has been worn onto the track.

For example a typical group and open car racing system is using an average of 14.2-14.3 Volts a with one, two or four batteries of say 1000 amps fed seperately by a multiple chain linked server supply of either 400-600-800 amps plus capacitors for unlimited glue. The alternate would be typical four batteries individually charged by say one each of (a total of four) 150-300 amp supplies and capacitors for each battery.

On the other end of the spectrum the Scale group and open Eurosport racing typically would use batteries. They also can use just the power supply with a average 12-13.5v volts and 200-300 amps on spray glue applied once for an entire race program.

Your power requirements are set by the popular demand. The limits on voltage and amperge is a decision on the part of either the owner or racing community.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 04-22-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12