Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio Operators

Amateur Radio Operators

Just wondering if there are any hams on the OWH website? I'm N4XYC.
    Women , Wine and Fast Red Cars

Do "Hams" still exist?

With the advent of the Internet, I assumed that the fad had died.

Is the 80 metre band still used to any great extent?

My late Father was an avid Radio Ham in the 70's. His call sign was ZL3JC and he was proud that he had obtained his "Worked all America" Certificate by talking to "Novices" in morse code - that was quite some feat back then as one State in the USA only had 5 novices
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

A lot has changed in Amateur radio over the years Zippity. We have seen an upsurge in operators due to rule changes but not all stay around. I got my ticket in 1996 John. K4NGJ and my wife got hers in 98. We had been on Citizen Band radios since the early 80s.
    Byron

USRA member #380013

"Pain Heals
    Chicks Dig Scars
    Glory Last Forever"

http://www.victorylaneraceway.com

When in SoCal....

tune to 147.435mhz..... it's sure to amuse......
    All machines are amplifiers.

I didn't see your other question Zip but yes the 80 & 75 band is in use here a lot.
    Byron

USRA member #380013

"Pain Heals
    Chicks Dig Scars
    Glory Last Forever"

I am Ham

N2WPT here!

All bands still quite busy in the states,

Bill B

First licensed as WA2LNQ, 30 years ago. Upgraded to extra class 20+ years, currently hold KV2I. Wife is N2ISF. Not very active anymore, internet and cell phones make it a relic. BTW, used to do 35 wpm, no paper. 73 de jerry -.-
    Viper Raceway
    100 Main St.
    Sussex, NJ 07461

www.viperbalance.com

Viper OM,

Still getting lots of 88's from the XYL, or are there lots of new terms out there now?

ZL1ZIP de KV2I

tnx fer rpt de zl. ur 5x5 hr in nj. wrkd many zl es vk on 75 es 80 cw es fone. text msg not new rt? hams doing it since marconi. tnx fer qsl es 73 de KV2I sk
    Viper Raceway
    100 Main St.
    Sussex, NJ 07461

www.viperbalance.com

Bugger!!! That will teach me to be a smart ar$3

I like ur style

I'm sorry I and friends I have here don't think it is a relic. We have a great time talking on 2 meters 440 220 6 meters and other spots in between. I haven't gone for the HF bands as of yet but I might some day. We have a nightly ragchew net on the club repeater and many discussions on symplex frequencies also. Field Day events happen every year. Our club has a little over 100 members and others have more. It is still a viable way to talk especially after storms and such. A health and welfare net is on HF after every hurricane or major storm in the US to see if anyone needs help or what can be done. Hopefully it won't disappear anytime soon as I have too much invested in it now. My wife also has her license and we usually talk every day on it plus talk to others every day.
    Byron

USRA member #380013

"Pain Heals
    Chicks Dig Scars
    Glory Last Forever"

Thumbs up I'm here too!

K7MH here. I actually gave up slot racing back in late '69 for ham radio. Tracks were closing down pretty quick around here. Didn't need to go anywhere to get on the radio! Spent a billion times as much on ham radio as I ever did on slot racing though! dah di dah
    Pink Cukras motor new, $24.50
    Pink Cukras motor on Ebay, $240.50
    Buying one new and racing it to death 36 years ago? Priceless!!

Thumbs up Usta Be

A regestered west Texas CB'er from 70 till 83..KDJ-0589.....Had a Midland Sidebander with 3 extra chips to expand my channels before they gave them to us. Had a Bigstick on a 30 ft. pole ontop of my house and a 100 watt bi-linier..When the skip was rollin I could talk from Jamacia to Montana. The guy in Jamacia lived on a small inlet and when the water was smooth, He would run a ground wire out to the water... ..Hell of a ground plane.

I had lots of fun on channel 19 on the road after about 10 p.m. Got passed by a trucker..And I was runnin 90.....Asked what kinda load he was runnin.....He said a damn heavy one...I asked what.... ..He said a load of sailboat fuel.......And I fell for it.. ..and all he said was.."got another one".

GOT SOME OTHER FUNNY ONES..
    PHIL I.

I am a current CB'er now. Have been since 1991. My late father was a ham operator b4 he passed in 2001. His call was KD4INY. He also had the local CB and ham radio shop here in Florida. I still talk skip all the time and talk local. I have a galaxy saturn base with a 50 foot rome tower with a maco 5\8's ground plane up at the house now. With a small foot warmer behind (1.5K).

I do have a few of my fathers old ham radios still. Like a kenwood and 2 icom's. Also some old 4 and 8 element beams that just sit in the shed.
    Last edited by brianambrose17; 08-01-2007 at 02:31 AM.
    If you race you will get turbo charged 1 way or the other!!!

HAM radio

I can assure you that HAM radio operators are still around and going strong. While I'm not one myself (yet), I advocate them and their system for use in emergencies here in SC. In fact, in my job I've had the pleasure of providing support thru funding and a little elbow grease.

As part of our state's overall emergency preparedness program, we have included these operators (ARES, which I think stands for Amateur Radio Emergency Service) in planning and exercising for the past couple of years. Some of the money we've provided has gone to the purchase of additional repeaters and placement of antennae on towers operated by our state public TV stations. In fact, our state's public TV also provides engineering services to help keep the HAMs on the air during a disaster. And, unfortunately, we have too many such emergency situations in SC. We're proned to hurricanes, earthquakes, train derailments, and chemical spills (in fact, I'm working one right now!)

We're currently promoting a training course for persons in our state interested in becoming operators. But it's a course that will keep you in a classroom for (I believe) four days of training and testing. In other words, you really have to WANT to be an operator. It doesn't come easily.

My hat's off to you HAMs. It seems you guys could make a transmitter and receiver from an old hair dryer, a tin can of shoe polish and a Salad Shooter(tm). You really know what you're doing, and you're an invaluable resource when comm systems go down.

I'll bet you know how to build a mean slot car, too.

Beas
    Jim Beasley

"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."
    Pat Paulson, ca. 1968

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast