Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio Operators

I learnt how to use a soldering iron from my Dad (ZL3JC)

In fact, I still use and have his 40+ year old wire strippers in my slot car tool box

Thumbs up hehehe ALMOST....

That one I got late on a sunday night in 78 goin south in Colorado, by Cadallic Ranch, where there ain't NUTHIN as far as the eye can see. I was at the MILE HIGH NHRA NATIONALS..Ran a 63 G/GAS Nova. Air densety was 6600 ft. NO OXYGEN.....PANT..PANT....

OL' FT
    PHIL I
    Last edited by Phil I.; 08-03-2007 at 03:11 PM.

holy cow

I'm just sitting back waiting for the sun spot cycle to come back around. I also like VHF Sideband Contesting.

I knew there had to be some hams in here! 73 you all !
    Women , Wine and Fast Red Cars

I Was One of Those Novices Who Worked Your Dad ZL3JC in 1971

Greg WB6DAI here - I was one of those novices in 1971 who worked your Dad ZL3JC with CW. I lived in San Carlos, California in a deep canyon so the contact was a great achievement with my 60 watts and a crystal controlled transmitter. Here is a photo of me as a youth proudly holding the QSL card your father sent to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greg_71..jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	13707
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Do "Hams" still exist?

With the advent of the Internet, I assumed that the fad had died.

Is the 80 metre band still used to any great extent?

My late Father was an avid Radio Ham in the 70's. His call sign was ZL3JC and he was proud that he had obtained his "Worked all America" Certificate by talking to "Novices" in morse code - that was quite some feat back then as one State in the USA only had 5 novices

WOW!!! What a connection!!
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

VA3 HNS recieved my basic + but never really used it. It was something to do over the summer one year back in the early 90's.

It truly is a small world in so many ways - and Ham Radio was one of the things that made the world seem smaller long before the internet!

My late father was also an avid Ham Radio buff, and still was right up until almost 2005 when he passed away. I believe his call sign was WB7TPQ in Seattle WA.

That picture looks just like my dad's "Ham Room" with all the QSL cards hanging in the plastic holders on the wall, the wall map of the world, and the radio gear - including the shelf! My dad used our old 1950's kitchen table for his radio desk! My son & I had moved our desks into the ham room with our computers... but my dad was still on his radio while we worked and played on the internet... so all three of us were busy connecting to the world in that room practically every night, in those years after my son & I had moved back in with my dad.

My oldest brother and my sister were both ham operators too - but I'm not sure if they are still active at it or not. My brother Dave is WB7PCF... I can't seem to remember my sister's call sign now. I never did get into ham radio - I had my slot cars - but my dad always proudly tried to explain it all to me and showed off his radio gear many times over the years.

My dad & mom were listening on the ham radio on their 1st wedding anniversary on Dec 7th 1941 when Pearl Harbor was bombed.

Wow - always catches me by surprise a bit to see older threads revived - but that is why I leave all the old stuff on here!

It's also fun to read about the other hobbies and interests that fellow slot car enthusiasts have - besides just our common interests in slot cars.

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Greg WB6DAI - what an incredible post

How proud my Dad would have been to see you display his QSL card.

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful memory

I notice that this is your only post on this forum. Had you run a "Google" search on his call-sign?

Ron
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Hello!!!!!!
    EA2CIN from Zaragoza, Spain 100% cw. Wpx h.r.
    Albert

Hello all
    K2RGF from Baldwin, NY USA

73's
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    It truly is a small world in so many ways - and Ham Radio was one of the things that made the world seem smaller long before the internet!

My late father was also an avid Ham Radio buff, and still was right up until almost 2005 when he passed away. I believe his call sign was WB7TPQ in Seattle WA.

That picture looks just like my dad's "Ham Room" with all the QSL cards hanging in the plastic holders on the wall, the wall map of the world, and the radio gear - including the shelf! My dad used our old 1950's kitchen table for his radio desk! My son & I had moved our desks into the ham room with our computers... but my dad was still on his radio while we worked and played on the internet... so all three of us were busy connecting to the world in that room practically every night, in those years after my son & I had moved back in with my dad.

My oldest brother and my sister were both ham operators too - but I'm not sure if they are still active at it or not. My brother Dave is WB7PCF... I can't seem to remember my sister's call sign now. I never did get into ham radio - I had my slot cars - but my dad always proudly tried to explain it all to me and showed off his radio gear many times over the years.

My dad & mom were listening on the ham radio on their 1st wedding anniversary on Dec 7th 1941 when Pearl Harbor was bombed.

Wow - always catches me by surprise a bit to see older threads revived - but that is why I leave all the old stuff on here!

It's also fun to read about the other hobbies and interests that fellow slot car enthusiasts have - besides just our common interests in slot cars.

Paul K @ OWH
    Hello Paul
    A little search on the FCC site gave me this :

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...?licKey=900998

The first time my Ex-Wife went to a Slot Car race with me back in the 80`s she said it was like going to a Ham Radio Operator`s convention.

We had to stay all day because I kept making the move-ups and wound up in the A-Main.
    She was actually a good sport about my hobby.

QC. QC ..... KD2DVA here. I am a fairly new ham. In this day and age its more important then ever. I had very valuable info during and after stupid storm sandy here on Long Island. AND lets not get political here.....
    I will have a radio on my slot car bench when my room and track are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbuilt11779 View Post
    I will have a radio on my slot car bench when my room and track are finished.
    The best of lucky for marrying the two
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Not so much marrying the two just a space issue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast