Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best "turn key" spec car for 1/24 1st timers?

Click On The Banners

Not sure of the OWH rules but, it would be a big help if you guys could pm (or post?) some links to good mail order resources in the USA (I'm located in So Cal/San Diego) for RTR cars similar to above.
    That's what those banners at the top of the page are for!

The banners are linked to web sites of slot car manufacturers, suppliers, raceways, & mail order sources of slot car products and services who support this forum.

Also check out the new "Market Place" forums... and Commercial Classified Ads...

You can learn a lot about what products, services, and raceways are out there by clicking on the banner ads here on OWH (as well as from the unselfish helpful sharing of advice given by fellow slot car enthusiasts here on the Slot Car Talk forums)!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Thanks Paul for this forum and the resource tips too.

Your banner links are very helpful, I will use your advertisers whenever possible.

This thread has been a big help.
    I still have much to learn while trying to care and feed the new elephant in my garage,
    a 40 foot long 8 lane Hillclimb that came with 20 (neglected and abused) rental cars.
    Last edited by 993; 08-23-2007 at 12:59 PM.

Did you say 40 foot hillclimb? My that's short.
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Thumbs up 40 foot hillclimb

Maybe it is a Pygmy Elephant Hillclimb

Quote Originally Posted by M G Brown
    Did you say 40 foot hillclimb? My that's short.
    Sorry meant to say footprint 40' x 15', maybe close to 150' foot lane length.
    Thanks for your tips too, with some knowledge and luck I'll get my 1/1 car buddies to fill the other 7 lanes.

FYI started last year with a large 4 lane HO, then a 50' 1/32 routed wood copper tape track. Presently have the 1/24 hillclimb.
    Just trying to avoid repeating some of my 1/32 RTR car selection mistakes.

Sorry, I can't find a page for PARMA FCR

Fcr's are a spec class that is a 4.5 wheel base brass chassis that comes with NASCAR car bodies and it's own set of rules comes with the car. (The rules work well if you stick to them) If You contact any commercial slot car raceway I'm sure they will take care of you.

i absolutely love my fcr's we run them with model nascar bodies on a tri oval and a king track here in georgia and they have produced some of the best, closest racing i have ever seen in slots. they are a drivers chassis so the flex type cars may be a bit better for the new guys. i have a turbo flex that has seen many a hit from various cars, walls, and other things and it just keeps on ticking.

Just to add- Parma also offers a 4" FCR chassis if that floats your boat.
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Here are some pix of a local "Saturday Night Special" FCR NASCAR slot car.

This car isn't particularly concours material but it's an example that the cars can look good with a small amount of work.

Classic cars, which start out as an inexpensive investment, become a very profitable investment for those who wish to sell the car at some point. New cars are notorious for their depreciation.

Is there a reason that no one has suggested a JK x-25 with one of the group f motors and a LMP body? This is almost certainly the most popular scale class in the US. They are cheap, fast, and durable. They race just great.

Greg

JK, Cheetah 21, LMP, Hawk 7, geared 10-36 right out of the box. Any gearhead ought to be able to learn to race with this package.
    Last edited by nswanberg; 05-20-2016 at 07:23 AM.
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg

While many of the recommendations in this thread are still good...
    some of the models may not exactly be the latest stuff as of now.

It may be hard to notice... but this thread was revived a few posts up,
    that was last posted on in 2007!

Nice when info can get recycled for a new life... but just be careful of dated info on older threads
    that somehow get searched out and get a new life.

It does make me curious how things turned out for the OP...
    would like to know what he wound up going with,
    and if his track is still running & friends are still enjoying racing on it.

- PK @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12