Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nats Afterthoughts

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track

Nats Afterthoughts

My own Nats afterthoughts……

Thanks to all those that attended and congratulations to the winners. Certainly some fast racing with a few surprises on the podium.

Thanks to all those that helped, first and foremost JD (John Davis) probably the hardest working guy at the TRACK, Kent Nigro for all his work with the sponsors, Jimbo Kirby for always being available to help, Brian Eardley for assistance with planning etc. Lem Campbell for his assistance in the RD’s booth, the New Yawkers, Bill Skinner and Doug for help with the Nats shirts and endless advice, the local racers that offered their services without being asked and thanks to many that I’ve probably forgotten.

Special thanks to Mimi Wong and her brother Nan. Their 24/7 workload made sure that all racers had time on the track with no problems. The electric bill for 30 tons of AC running 24/7 is staggering yet the AC stayed on so that all could enjoy their Nats stay. Mimi provides us this wonderful facility for our King and is amazingly easy to work with. We could not have a better situation and wish there were more of them around the country.

Highlight of my Nats week was my Grandson Jordan finishing 2nd in Spec 15, definitely made my week.

Some concerns, in my opinion, attendance was dismal, we surely were expecting more racers. Is it a sign of the times? Type of track? Or maybe folks just didn’t care to attend our race? Not sure but do know that our attendance left us scratching out heads. Interesting though cause as a group, we have been pretty supportive of other Nats sites, guess there’s no reciprocal agreement in place.

Gp-12 attendance was pretty good as was International 15, things seemed to drop off after that.

A total of 20 racers in C-12 surely has to make us think that this class is struggling to survive.

OMO, although we had 37 entries, I saw it as somewhat disappointing as from all the discussions and such about this class, we expected many more. Interesting that some of the biggest supporters of this class failed to appear. Had this class been supported at the Nats by the regions where it is raced, the numbers could have been impressive.

We had 25 Pro/Open racers and that probably was the single biggest disappointment of the Nats for me. If that’s the best we can do for Pro turn-out at a National event …….. gotta wonder where this is headed.

Merchandise sales and specifically tire sales were extremely poor. Tire sales are usually very good at the Nats yet this year, that didn’t materialize. Certainly puts a bite into what usually is a substantial part of Nats income. Who knows why tire sales were down, but end result was loss of income for the raceway.

As we move forward I think we have to look at the amount of time we allocate to run this race. 9 days for 262 entries doesn’t make sense. If this becomes a norm (I’m hoping not) then I think we should take a long hard look at eliminating some of the lesser attended events and shortening our Nats week to something more manageable. Running the Air Conditioning and keeping the lights on, paying the help, etc, etc, for an average of 30 racers per day makes little economic sense.

Anyway, just wanted to get some thoughts out there and once again thank all those that helped and all those that attended.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Smile Thank You Roman.................

For your unselfish sacrificial gift of time and resources for the rest of us to enjoy. Your points are well stated. Hopefully, your thoughts will be well received and beneficial to the future of our hobby. It is obvious that consideration of the profitability for the host track is paramount.

I don't have answers. I do recall a scripture in the Bible that states that pride goeth before the fall. Personally, I feel our wingcar community has allowed our egos to get too large. I don't think we are having as much fun as we did 15 years ago. Maybe part of that is our increase in age and the natural tendency to become more serious about everything.

Congratulations on Jordan's performance.

I second that Milton. Very few are willing to give as much as
    Roman does for Division 1 slot racing. We all owe him!

Golly, I wonder what it could be... I'll really have to give this one some thought... Hmmm, I wonder....

I have been back racing for just over 2 years now after being away from the hobby for 20 years.

With the chassis and track designs we have today and the price of tires, it doesn't suprise me at all that entry numbers are on the decline.

The days of having to really excel at driving and manuvering thru traffic are pretty much gone.

The only thing were racing today are bank accounts.

Some may agree, some may not, just my opinion.

Terry
    -

Are you suggesting that cost is the issue? BALDERDASH!!!!!! It has to be something else, let me keep pondering...

Quote Originally Posted by stick2
    Are you suggesting that cost is the issue? BALDERDASH!!!!!! It has to be something else, let me keep pondering...

Don't ponder too hard you might hurt yourself.

Ron
    Last edited by R. Herrera; 09-10-2007 at 04:34 AM.

It may be time to help the tracks out a little. why not have "hand out" tires at this event. All the way up to say c-12. that would be spec, box and c-12. charge FULL retail for these. must tech in the tires used before and after and have them marked just like the cars and have a tech in each race. as for the length I remember back in 1981 it was a 3 day race the Nats.....4 classes only maybe that would help spec, box, 27 , omo , PRO. only can race 2 classes must be side by side meanining spec/box , box/27 , 27/omo , omo/pro
    [COLOR="Black"]TEAM ACES AND 8's http://f2000.us/[/url]

I take it you know this from personal expierience?

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Quote Originally Posted by stick2
    I take it you know this from personal expierience?
    Tom, are you trying to make a point? If so, by all means make it so that it can be discussed intelligently, if you have no point, go lurk somewhere else.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Thought Association

Why have I been having John Cauthen flashbacks the past couple of days?
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but anything you catch comes home with you!

After all this time, and all of the "I wonder why's", you would think that you could have made more progress. I LEARNED to love wings, because I COULD AFFORD TO! I know it sounds ridiculous to you guys, but you have to start at a reasonable price point and work your way up. Do you offer any kids racing that includes wings? I know that there are a lot of the old participants of the Y program that can verify this, but we ran a class of 1/32 wings that was an absolute blast, we ran a series of whisper jets with wings, and we ran twenties. The natural progression usually went, whisper jets, 1/32nds, and then twenties. I know that YOU might think that group 12 is reasonable, but guess what... You aren't paying for it! Its Joe blow that brings his kid in to check them out, and if he has $100, you can sell him something for $100 that he can enjoy, or you can turn your nose at his money. Just because you can afford 12's, doesn't mean everyone can.

The Stickmeister

has not had any posts since April..........until now....not sure what triggered all of the negativity ....I can tell you one thing..........I'm real tired about hearing about the YMCA...........I do not know who he is.............dont care..........just tired of the B/S........Grp 20's burn up just looking at them..............maybe at the YMCA they are running on Homset transformers...................Stay on Topic
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Yo Gil...........

Quote Originally Posted by Aubin 3 sixteen
    Why have I been having John Cauthen flashbacks the past couple of days?
    If there is any talk about having a bar and women marshalls at the track.....we know we have are man
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Roman..........

your mailboxes are full...............check in and sent..........delete.........
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast