Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving a King Track Texas style

Moving a King Track Texas style

The King Track in Granbury Tx which was formerly the Action Speedway track in Ft Worth Tx was for sale and I was the mystery buyer. I wasn't about to let this fabulous track be moved out of Texas. His only offer was a buyer in Austrailia so I couldnt let that happen. With only short notice, all the racers from River Oaks Raceway voluntereed to spend their Sunday sweeting in the 100 degree Texas heat. I can't thank all of them enough for their help. The love of the sport kept them working through the heat.
    Not only was there a King to move but also a super 6 lane track to load plus all the computer equipment and monitors.
    As you see in the photos, Buster drove his Big Rig and Sarge had his truck and trailer. The rest of us followed in a convoy watching the storm clouds get closer.
    But we all had big smiles knowing we had a King in Dallas Texas (finally!)

Its in a storage building at the moment but soon it will be a back to its full majesty. (King)

Again, thanks to everyone that helped. We couldnt have done it without everyone single one of them. Casey, David, Richard, Brian, Buster, Sarge, Tony, Mac, Chase, Gary, Jay & Luther

One final note.....about 6 months ago, Craig Landry called and aked me if I was going to buy this track. At the time, it wasnt even for sale, but I assured him I would call the moment I did. I never expected to buy it. I certainly wish I could make that call to Craig. But we all know Craig would have wanted us to keep on Racing....

Enjoy the photos,
    Shontel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	3506

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	326 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	3507

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	3508

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	348 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	3509

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	3510

Sorry, I haven't posted photos on OWH before so I have no idea how to make them bigger.

Thumbs up Congratulations

I'm sure Craig is smiling.

Thanks to Milton and Shontel

and everyone who kept a "King" in Texas........
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Smile Kamen Krazy

I did not have anything to do with this. I feel like I'm a TEXAN cause I lived 180 miles downwind from Dallas for 40 years. I recognize most of the people in the picture and have raced with them numerous times over the last 15 years. They've always treated me like family.

Milton

Shucks, you guys had it easy with that big rig..... Why I remember back in the old days when we had to move our tracks with an old pick up truck and uhaul trailer, down 40 miles of dirt road, with 2 feet of snow on the ground..... But seriously guys looks like you all had a great time and a big thanks to getting that track moved a couple of hours closer to Arkansas.... jf
    RACE DIRECTORS... Want Free Subscription certificates to SARN to use as race prizes or door prizes? They are FREE for the asking. Email me at: johnford@slotmail.org and let me know how many you need for each event. S.A.R.N. Scale Auto Racing News...Serving slot racers since 1979.

Best lead-on in the entire world, hopefully its not neglected like it was at its previous location.
    Chase Walker

Also the ONLY CNC Routed King track in the World. Designed by Jim Silknitter and finished out by enthusiasts in Fort Worth. I think it has a good home now.... jf
    RACE DIRECTORS... Want Free Subscription certificates to SARN to use as race prizes or door prizes? They are FREE for the asking. Email me at: johnford@slotmail.org and let me know how many you need for each event. S.A.R.N. Scale Auto Racing News...Serving slot racers since 1979.

CNC King

John, Mike Leach had a CNC routed King track built by Chris Dadds in Newark, Ohio, in 1997. Best King I ever ran on. It's now at Bullit Speedway in Kentucky. He also had a CNC UK Black, again built by Dadds. It's now at Raceway Hobbies in Mineral Ridge, Ohio.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Patterson; 09-13-2007 at 08:07 AM.
    Lost in the ozone again....

Quote Originally Posted by johnford
    Also the ONLY CNC Routed King track in the World. Designed by Jim Silknitter and finished out by enthusiasts in Fort Worth. I think it has a good home now.... jf
    Yeah well, once it was shortened 12' to get it down to 155', make legs for it, recut and shape the turns, re-route the braid shelf, make the sides, build a driver's panel and wire it we were able to finish it out. Regardless of what it took to get it completed it did turn out pretty decent, and now it has owners that will use it the way it was intended to be used.....full punched wing racing.

Track Move

Is that a way to move a track or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank S.

Always good to hear about the rebirth of a competetive Slot Track,especialy a go fast King for Wing Racing.
    Heres to great racing, and many memories of good times.

Tom Setzer

Thats a cool truck
    Split

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Patterson
    John, Mike Leach had a CNC routed King track built by Chris Dadds in Newark, Ohio, in 1997. Best King I ever ran on. It's now at Bullit Speedway in Kentucky. He also had a CNC Black, again built by Dadds. It's now at Raceway Hobbies in Mineral Ridge, Ohio.
    Mike
    I stand corrected. That was about the time Hasse and I were shutting down the factory and hanging up our routers. Hasse's diabetes and my degenerative ankle cartledge was getting the best of us. We had a good run though didn't we? I am still amazed when I see footage of the old factory in full swing. We never considered CNC though. We had 4 guys that could rout a track faster than we could haul it to and from the CNC shop......jf

Too bad you didn't have a bigger truck...

You guys could enter as a float in the Rose Parade!
    that's a wrap!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast