Thread: Why No Retro Racing Forum?

Why No Retro Racing Forum?

Paul,

Retro racing really seems to be catching on. It's certainly rekindled my interest in slots. Why no OWH dedicated retro racing forum like "those other guys"? They actually have two retro racing forums.
    --
    Phil Smith

I have had several requests for a separate Retro Racing forum.

However, it raises some questions as to how to properly reorganize all the race announcements and race results - and if that would be a good or a bad thing.

When I split up the announcements from the results, it definitely helped. At that time, I debated about whether to make forums for each region or each type of racing, but I decided then that I like it better when it was mixed together. Otherwise, racers may never even look at or be exposed to the other types of racing...

Now it has grown to where some more divisions of forums is eminent, but I'm not sure how far or how I want to split it up. By REGION and THEN by TYPE??? Or by TYPE and THEN by REGION???

I don't want to split it down so far that racers only read the one that applies to them, or have so long a list of forums that you have to scroll forever to find stuff.

I kinda favor splitting off the TYPES of racing first, with adding another forum for Retro Racing, then perhaps have regional divisions in each category when needed.

Before I start remodeling - I'm open to other ideas and input....

Suggestions?????
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

With the underutilized vintage & scratchbuilding forums which already exist here, do you need a separate forum for D3/retro racing?
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Thumbs up I agree Bill, too many main forums now!

Under scratch building you could have two sub forums like in Tech Tips you have a sub forum for controllers.

In scratch building you could have regular scratch building of any type and scale and-

One sub forum for the D3 fans and the current built cars

And one sub forum for the IRRA fans current built cars of theirs.

So when you go to the scratch building forum you would have a choice of venue within.

Then the vintage forum could stay for true vintage RTR cars from the 1960's etc. for show and tell. And just reliving the vintage days of yore.
    Converting the slot car world one scratch built at a time.

I think Retro Racing (RR) should be separate from the vintage and scratch building forums, because those tend to be mostly about collecting and accurately portraying vintage cars. RR is about RACING, and that's entirely different. The rules may be inspired by a certain era of racing, but anyone that's a half way decent racer aspires to have a good race car, not an accurate reproduction of one. With the current rules, you can pretty much end up with both, but again, anyone that's really into racing wants a good race car first and foremost. Looking sano and retro is icing on the cake, and that's one of the cool things about RR!

Most of the guys in the vintage forum are into collecting, not racing. That's a neat thing too, but there's absolutely no reason to mix RR into that forum.

There is some RR discussed on the scratch building forum, but that's because there's currently no where else to post that sort of discussion on OWH. A dedicated RR forum would be a better place for such topics.

To start out, I think one forum for all things related to RR would be the best. Like Bill mentioned, if you have too many sub forums, you spread what may be light traffic across too many forums. If that happens, they all look dead. I think the "other guys" forum has a bit of that problem. If the traffic gets too heavy, you can always divide it up into sub forums then.
    Last edited by Phil Smith; 11-25-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    --
    Phil Smith

Good input to chew on....

The sub-forums is the answer for not splitting into so many forums that you have to scroll down the page forever just to see the main forums.

The Scratchbuilding forum is not Vintage. It was created for those who like to build with brass & wire and did not necessarily care what the originals looked like in the 60's or 70's, however there is a fine line.

Here's some definitions - some of my own wording and some are quotes from online sources...

VINTAGE = Collecting, admiring, sharing, showing, or faithfully restoring or reproducing slot cars from the past, to original specs, favoring historical accuracy over performance.
    Dictionary.com: "representing the high quality of a past time: vintage cars; vintage movies."

SCRATCHBUILDING = The art of building slot cars from components or materials from scratch. This can include reproducing scratch built cars of the past as well as "Retro" modern day versions, or new modern designs built to show or race.

Wikipedia: "Scratch building is the process of building a model from raw materials, rather than building it from a commercial kit, 'kit-bashing' or buying it pre-assembled."

One of my favorite quotes on this topic is from 1/32 scale scratchbuilder / kitbasher Bob Ward, who's definition of: "Mint In Box" is: "Raw Materials" (much to the sheer horror of Vintage collectors).

RETRO = Dictionary.com: Involving, relating to, or reminiscent of things past; retrospective: "As is often the case in retro fashion, historical accuracy is somewhat beside the point" (New York Times).

In slot car terms, "Retro" is based on designs of the past, and using older more accurate "scale" body styles, but built utilizing many modern innovations and ideas to be competitive as well.

Just to cover all bases, there is still modern day building done with current technology, but I believe that any who do this would even tell you that it is much different then in the past. Even the most prolific builder of current slot car chassis (whom we have just recently lost) Craig Landry, I believe would describe modern chassis building as "assembling" rather then building. I'm betting that Buef, Al Chuck, Fred Hood, Lee Gilbert, Ernie Mossetti, and other current chassis builders would agree. While MUCH R&D may go into the chassis designs by top pro racers, once the design has been reproduced, the chassis is then "assembled" and "tuned", rather then "built from scratch". This in NO WAY is meant to take anything away from those who build current competitive slot car chassis! Anyone who is into innovation of new ideas in their current chassis design projects certainly fits into, and is most welcome, in the SCRATCHBUILDING category as well!

I'm also of the opinion that the best chassis "assemblers" of the present, were/are also top scratchbuilders as well. For that reason, I doubt that any of them would take any offense to what I said above, or would even agree.

So... it's a bit of a puzzle as each of these categories overlaps others in some ways, and not in others. I tend to think that Vintage buffs are in their own category. Scratchbuilding, however, is an art form that is mutually appreciated by both those who build to reproduce the past, as well as those who build to race.

The next division is what of type of racing....

To me - "racing is racing". A different animal then building, it's all about the competition. While many racers are also builders, there are those that won't, can't, or simply lack the time or experience to build their own cars.

I would personally rather see "Retro Racing" as a sub-forum under Race Results (along with "Wing Racing", and "Scale Racing" (non-wing?), etc.)

The final division is the location or region of racing...

I'm not really in favor of splitting the race results down by location. I think the internet, and these forums make it truly a "small world", and I both enjoy and encourage reading race results from other areas then our own. I've always felt that if it is split into regions, that only people from that region wind up reading it. It is this kind of segregation that I think a world-wide medium like online forums helps to dispel.

Food for thought??? I think just by thinking this through while overly elaborating about the whole thing, I'm coming closer to how I would like to organize the forums and sub-forums....
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 11-27-2007 at 12:06 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

That sounds good Paul. It doesn't appear but a hand full of us care anyway, so I'm not sure what methods you choose will really matter. Oh well...
    --
    Phil Smith