Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad News from NY

Sad News from NY

Today I lost a old friend Fat Carl Rackoff (aka Bubba) lost his fight with liver cancer. Carl stopped racing slot cars about 5 years ago and started his own business and was doing very well. He would always stop in at the raceway and check in on us. Many of you may remember Carl racing at the nats in RGEO, Atlanta, New Hampshire and Lugnut. He will be missed!!!!
    Last edited by Bent rim; 01-18-2008 at 08:41 PM.
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

Very sorry to hear of your loss Doug.

Greg G.
    Last edited by Slidergreg; 02-07-2008 at 08:58 AM.
    How Sweet It Is!!!!!

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track

Very Sad News Indeed

Carl was quite the character and races were always more fun when he was around. Please pass my condolences to his family if you have the opportunty.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

This is a very sad day. How is AJ doing?

Carl was among the more colorful characters for sure.

While he always seemed a bit gruff on the outside, he was a great guy and funny as hell in his own way.

A particularly funny memory I have of Carl was at the '01 (?) Nats on Long Island. Carl had really lightened his car for qualifying in I15 as always, but I guess he made his body pins a bit too short to hold. The car went under the bridge and only the chassis came out the other side.

Between that voice, the ever present cigar butt and his competitive nature, Carl will always be remembered.
    "Bring your ballistic $hit and your asbestos shorts, nobody gets out alive." Paul Kovich

Unhappy Fat Carl Rip!

He was a good and fun guy to race with and against.

Bill B

Doug: Was it fat Carl that put the hone into the sheet rock when it came out of the Dremal? I might be mixing him up with someone else. I know you are sad over the loss, but that incident, if you recall, might bring back a smile. j
    Viper Raceway
    100 Main St.
    Sussex, NJ 07461

www.viperbalance.com

I missed Carl and AJ when they stopped racing. I think everyone has a funny story about Carl, I remember his amazing ability to never set a gear lash correctly, his cars always sounded like washing machines, and he could have cared less. It's too bad he's gone.
    Paul
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Sorry to hear about Carl!

Tom

I've been away from a computer for some time, please send my condolences to Carl's family. I echo everyone else's comments about Carl - funny, gruff, and a good father.
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but anything you catch comes home with you!

I'm sorry for your loss doug. i know you guys were friends outside of the slot car thing. he was one of your guys.fat carl was funny! bad gear mesh and the shortest ****in body pins ever! yeah i remember! and you guys rode him like only old friends can. i thought about him for a bit after we got off the phone.

I Remember Carl

My condolences go out to AJ and his family.
    I am just learning of his passing today.
    I don't like the term Fat Carl! I prefer pleasently plump Carl. I can get away with that because of my size

All kidding aside I remember Carls voice, It didnt match his body. In a cool kind of way. I always enjoyed racing with Carl. I missed him before his passing and now I miss him even more. I always enjoyed racing against Carl, we had the same driving style,, {MOVE OVER I AM COMING THROUGH} Gods speed Carl! Oh yes this weekend at the Barnburner I would appreciate some help, I know you will be watching!

Mark

Unhappy So Sorry To Hear,,

[QUOTE=Bent rim]Today I lost a old friend Fat Carl Rackoff (aka Bubba) lost his fight with liver cancer. Carl stopped racing slot cars about 5 years ago and started his own business and was doing very well. He would always stop in at the raceway and check in on us. Many of you may remember Carl racing at the nats in RGEO, Atlanta, New Hampshire and Lugnut. He will be missed!!!![/QUOTE It is always sad to hear of a loss with a long standing member of our slot car family. I met bubba up here in NH. at the nats a few years back. He had the whole place going crazy with his gear mesh, but would not take the car off to fix it. He would just smile and keep the hammer down. [ to funny ] That was the one and only time I met him, but I do remember it well. - - - - Vic

hey Dave its me AJ i am doing all right thanks for support my dad!! i am sure my father love racing either i still love racing

hi everyone! its me AJ Carl's son sorry i disconnect myself i been myself depession for six years and i missed alot slot car racing i miss alot of my friend for slot car racing from NH, CT, NJ and of course Long island thanks for support my dad i always miss him but its last time i raced slot car racing in 2001 i try my best to come back slot car racing in the future i have tough life go thought now my life amazing changed! now i live in west coast! and i focus on new life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast