Thread: Chassis Jig

Chassis Jig

I'm looking to see if any one has a template or directions on how to make my own. Or is my only choice to purchase one?

Thumbs up To Tell You The Truth.....

My first builting jig I made out of hard wood, using graph paper and an old set of calapers. I was 19 (1965) at the time and very mechanicly inclined( 55 chev with a 327 & 4 speed & 4.88 rear) so after measuring, writing everything down, checking everything 3 times. I got everything marked and headed for the drill press. After drilling. I then cut 1/8th piano wire & 1/16 piano wire for all the marks for rails,center section, wings. front & rear axil. Used 28-29 tooth gears for hight ( jig wheels). Used my trusty dremel and a wood wheel to cut the guide slot. After all was done. I double checked and was out of square by .030 on the rear axil. I ended up grinding 1 of the 1/8 axil pins down that .030 and soldered brass tubing over the other and slowely grinding it down to center the back axil I found after 5 chassis that I had drilled to many of the pin holes and eventho I had used a hard wood. I still burnt the jig badly......

Then I got smart and bought one of the Champion big sandstone jigs for as I remember $29........Which was a fortune back then....BUT....I still use it today to check everything from ANY bought chassis to building a 27 to rebuilding anything in the box. I use it to solder motors in to hammering on it to flatten out a bent stamped steel to.........UP TO YOU.........

Best $29 I EVER spent on slots in 43 years....HEHEHE.......

OL' FART RACING TEAM.......
    PHIL I.

Making your own chassis jig is only as difficult as you make it to be. Yes it's all about geometry, but more importantly as Phil has said material is the most important.

The sand stone works great as it doesn't warp or burn. There are some aluminum jigs but you have to be careful when using acid flux and be sure to clean them right away. The other down side to the aluminum is it takes heat away from the iron, especially when soldering brass. The plus side is most of these jig made come with grid lines. Corian seems to be the way most jigs are being made now. If you look under Chicago Land Raceway in the Market section Mike Swiss has picture of a great jig (by Rick Bennardo) that does front and rear axles at the same time. While this one is top of the line it is worth it. If you want something less expensive look at a lucky bobs jig which is made of a plastic laminate over wood. Here's the link to the picture http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...ad.php?t=22209

thank you

Thank you for your replies and your sugestions. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I have pieces of Corian and will try whats the worse I can do, is waste time.

Lightbulb Way Back When...

There was no such thing as a CNC mill or drill......

IDEA........$$$$$ THO
    PHIL I.

Quote Originally Posted by slotcar fever
    what a ridiculous web page
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Thumbs up After Getting Into Retro

I bit the bullet and bought the BACKTACK jig and am glad I did.

CHACAGO LAND, Mike Swiss, has them as does www.backtrack@aol.com

The Champion was fantastic in its day and up tp the beatings of straightening out stamped steel but with thw riggers of retro DAR AIN'T NO CONTEST. Rick B. at RGO has a good one too...

HAVEN A BALL BULDEN AGINE
    PHIL