Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding A NW Track Icon Hillclimb

Rebuilding A NW Track Icon Hillclimb

Well the first day of reconstruction has passed and we got a wee bit of work done.

For awile I had in storage an original Hasse Hillclimb from the former WSSH before it closed. The track has some wear and tear,nicks wacks and years of storage but is going together quite fine. I was surprized how level most of the joint sections were alingning as it is not tounge and groove. We will have to work on the bank as it never was set up correctly to eliminate the launching ramps caused by two unoticed broken supports. These sections were some how changed after the intial Hasse recommended setup and I plan to return it to its correct state. The track is going to be built stock as is, with only a rebraid and wall re-painted unless Mike decides otherwise.

Mike Wierman is now the proud owner of an NW icon Hillclimb track. It was a little iffy whether we could fit it in his workshop space but with a little wiggling of the track as it was assembled we managed to make things fit. Sliding the track around on the concreate floor as it was asembled and finally a close fit. It was planned to make it a fun track, but eventually it will be a home based track buisiness along the lines of SHS nature. Paul Kassens is dilengently working with Mike to get a economical racing program that will compliment his at 132slotcar. Then eventually flexi cars, hardbody stockcars or perhaps a boxstox class of wingcars...wooohooo

First was getting the track unloaded and sorting the legs and giving it a general location.
    Mike and Rick Hanlen contiplate what they got themselves into. Here's the pile as it started out.

As things progress we got the bank and the first turn finger assembled. Rick Hanlen works on the bolts.
    Rick was one of the three of us that helped dissasembled the track years ago.

Here Mike tells me (or I tell him) there still time to take the track back while Rick Hanlen helps move a second back straight to a safe home.
    Three ghostly orbs hover in the background.

Ok had to get a picture of me actually working on the donut. Mike offers suggestion on how to do a Homer Simpson imatation.

Mike asking if were done yet and kicking the tires.

After 24 hours of being awake (plus working nights) and building to this far... I decided to call it the day at this point.

Tommorow the wiring, or the upper deck if enough helper bees show up.

A few photo ops and off over the Tacoma Narrows bridge to pay my toll fare and nap for a few hours.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 03-09-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Second day of assembly

Day two under the way. Today we set up the lead on and upper deck of the Hillclimb.
    Started on the wiring loom routing it under the track and a tempory hook up before rebraiding.
    Rest of the time was adjusting the legs and lowering some critical sections.

The lead on went well but with a lot of grunt work as it was the heavyer than the average section.
    We had three people so we went ahead and assemble it. These pictures are prior to lowering the lead on four inches and on bank.

Next we went on to the upper deck. I was loosely bolted and connected and later aligned. There was a slight problem with the bank and leadon as both had been raised several inches from the original setup. The leadon looked as if somone had tried to bank it also. It had bowed a few sections incorrectly as result. Fixable. I had handmarked some spots with a knife when Hasse and I (assisted) built it together so I had a reference points. Forgot about it until I started seperating removing a few legs. We ended up lowering it close to three inches near what it was originally supposed to be. Made a huge difference as now it is almost a flat turn and the camber returned in the donut. With that we were able to smooth out the straight away to a flatter form with out the speed bumps at each joint.

How about this wiring mess. The next step was to work on the wireing loom and unravel the string ball and route it under the track for hook up.
    Since we are rebraiding I left the hookups unconnected for now.

After we got the leadon and straight smoothed out I scratched my head on the bank. Noticed it wasn't smooth out of the main straight and dipped at a slight angle at the exit of the bank. After the inspection it was clear the bank was raised incorrectly and spoiled the entrance and exit joint of the bank. Mike asked if I could lower or fix it. After an hour of loweing the bank legs (to original specs) about two-three inches we finally got the bank exit and entrace smoothed out. Now the track won't have the launching ramps it mysteriously aquired. After that the joints fit back closer together and the previous bondo filler was removed.

Track begining to form nice.

I am going to start work agian next weekend so that will give the track time to settle into it new configuration before I attach the legs for the overpass perminatly. During the week plans to clean the track surface, and perhaps rip up the braid so I can clean off the old contact cement.

Next weekend finishing the wiring hookup and panel and relays hookup. Then adding the SRT board and wiring loom I am making at home. Then braiding.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 03-16-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Building!

Great job Raymond, when your finished come on over.

HRK

Great looking track. What is the 4th grey post on the driver's panel? Thanks
    Steve (Spud) Saunders
    "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference." -- Harry Truman

Quote Originally Posted by GotToRace
    Great looking track. What is the 4th grey post on the driver's panel? Thanks
    A low power post(it probably has a resistor inline)to slow the cars down for kid's birthday parties,rentals,etc.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

Mikes got it close. The fourth grey post has 25 ft of choke wire on it. It doesn't have a resistor but can be included if need be. Rentals plugs and grey plug are hooked together. The track was built in the days that chokes were just starting to come in effect and at the time on board track chokes was included.

At the 88 USRA Nats that was at the sister WWSH-II shop Blue King (with Euros at this Hillclimb) resulted in Paul Phifer mistakenly hooking up his controller to the grey post with 25ft of choke. He didn't find out the use of the post until midway thru the race. Needless to say it didn't help his finish but that was because Mike Swiss won that race.

The other little item on the track panel is a compter cord plug in for rental controllers and simple plug in.

Also if anyone asks the two 6" zone stripes before each of the turns is the glue zone. An early attempt to limit glue applied to track, before changing to spray glue.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 03-09-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Biscuits?

Great project! Great Job! BUTT.........Where are the biscuits?

Greg G.
    How Sweet It Is!!!!!

Indeed, nice piece of photo journalism

Thanks Bob.
    Free advertisement also but don't tell Paul that. OOPS .
    Oh yeah that OK Pauls helping with the racing program.

Greg: Biscuits????
    DOH!
    Oh yes the sign in above picture. See donut....

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 03-09-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Raymond,

Where in the greater Seattle area is the new track housed?

Will the normal classes that were raced at the "Flats" be raced on the track once it is completed? i.e., slot car racing in Seattle is not dead?
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Ron:

Mike Wierman has a personality much like Kirk Livernash (and this is a home based track like him) so it should be fun racing.

This track is located in Gig Harbor WA (just south). It is just a few miles west of Tacoma/Seattle and also very close to the 132slotcars Tacoma location. That is west over the Puget Sound by water or over the Tacoma Narrows toll Bridge.The same freeway you go to 132 also gets you to Gig Harbor by going just 15 minute or 8 miles further. The drive from Auburn take me less than 39 minutes. DT Seattle 51 min. Address and contact info to follow when given permission.

The racing program and cars is up to Mike Wierman and I will let him describe it. For now as I understand it they will run a non glue track and the same program and cars Paul Kassens is running (as a sister track) to get local clientel. Paul Kassens an Kevin & Cody Kosir can fill you in on those details for thier program.

PNWAMCA for now will be reserved to Ray Bishop's MTT track when they find a location.

Being this is a bank track it is hard to say if there is interest at racing Eurosports on it. Only time will tell. The 88 USRA 1/32 Eurosport nationals has been run on it. 1/32nd Euros are a blast on a hillclimb.

I might mention it will be a prime track now as the modifications been made will please the PNWAMCA group. Things such as flattening the corners, removing the launching ramps on the bank's exit and entrance, taking out the reverse camber sections, and mole hills. There will be improved siting on the leadon as well as lower easier marshalling access and much smoother sections transitions. Power will be 12 V at 100 amps for now but more can be added later.

Another modification that is being is added is a 6" cant/angle to the drivers panel away from the track on black lane for better siteing of middle lanes in donut. Red lane is on the inside of the donut and black lane on outside. On the driver panel red lane is the closet lane to the panel and is nearest the bank end. Black lane panel is closest to the donut and furthest from panell. Lee mentioned that was his least favorite thing about this track because of the siteline of the middle lanes. So I solved the siteline problem. Those on Black through blue will be standing 6" further back. My version of stadium seating (standing).

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 03-12-2008 at 02:35 AM.

Weekend two day three.

Well today got a late start the braid is all removed and today we started cleaning of the surface.
    Nothing a little Simple Green won't take care of with a wipe down of Napha afterwards.
    While Mike,his wife and Rick take care cleaning I was under the track doing a bit more leg adjustments on the lead on.
    Plus adding a few of the outer part of upper deck straight supports legs.
    In some sections we had to cut off 1-2 inches off the original legs.
    This was the original way the track was set up by Hasse using conduit as supports. Mike elected to retain this system. Its functional, light and, minimal.

The router bit was readied fo removing the dried contact cement.
    Project for tommorrow, followed by adheasive remover for stubborn areas. You can buy them ready made but mine is home altered with the piliot ground down to between .123-125" to fit in the slot.

On the lathe and ground with a simple dremel disk doubled up. Remove equaly until just about .123 dia. a bit undersized.

Simple 1/4 dato bit with the center guide cut down on the lathe with the dremel.
    Kind of like cutting down a 2mm armature shaft to 1.5mm on a eurosport.

After a couple hours more leg adjusting got the lead on down a total of 3-4 inches from original position.
    Leveled out the straight a bit more.
    Lead on is now reachable from the outside without standing on a box.

Mike and Diana show Rick some of thier movie memorbilia.

Tommorrow I work a bit more on flattening the bank an more,wiring and routing off the glue and bondoing the walls and places.
    Plus add a few pictures I forgot of the SRT board I made thats almost compleat.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 03-16-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Story behind the Biscuit sign....

Biscuit ->

Greg Gilbert I found out the story behind the BISCUIT sign. If you watched the Movie Seabiscuit Mike and Diana had a part in the movie.
    Well at least thier vintage dark green Ford Model A truck of thiers did. Mike was a collector/rebuilder of vintage cars and his truck was used in the movie.
    The sign comes from the movie site when Diana had to drive the car to the movies site daily.
    The Biscuit sign was a directional location sign for cast and crew.
    Mike had to give the actors instructions on how to shift and use the clutch to both the stunt driver and actors.
    Diana decided to snag the sign from the location after the finish of the movie shoot.
    Last edited by Slapshot; 03-14-2008 at 10:10 PM.

A cool movie and a cool looking track by the looks of it
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Thanks Ron. It has been basicly a one (myself) to three person operation building this so it will take hard work and a bit longer. Even so looking for within the next couple weekends running time. Was planning next weekend but one or two can only do so much.

Surpriseingly (or dissapointingly) the only Speedshop gang that showed interest so far are Kevin, Cody, and Paul K.

Fun part starts tommorrow.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 03-14-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast