Thread: Lane Spacing

Lane Spacing

Can I get a few opinions on lane spacing for a new 8 lane scale track.

I'm thinking 4" would make things interesting, 4.5" seems a bit too easy.

Cheers,

Garry J

Thumbs down back in the dark ages

The original lane spacing was 4 in. As car width got to 3.125 in. it became lots harder to pass. If your car set out much, you would block or get blocked. I learned on the 4 in. spacing when tires were slip & slide and it was hard to pass. Horsepower & brakes were a premium. I remember using the old 9 volt lanturn batteries for extra brakes so we could dive into the turns before braking. That extra lane spacing came about for better racing and less track calls & less carnage from getting nerfed and going into another slot or getting nailed real hard cause your out of the slot.

PHIL I.

The narrower 4" spacing is not that bad. My Ogilvie flat LTD was built that way, but it was also built as a primarily 1/32 scale track. Too small of a space with no straights would make it a bear to drive ...passing is done mostly on the straights by those not next to each other. LTD: Learn To Drive! Ernie Mosseti, JK and I held several major events on that track since 1990.

I also had a restored Miniature Grand Prix franchise track for my first store with the 4" spacing. Great fun and good racing in the early 1990's. Wing cars need the extra room more since the fluttering of the wings will hit each other when they layout...providing you have the speed.

You CAN race 1/24 scale cars on a track with 3 1/2" lane spacing. How much room do you need to pass? It will definatly save floor space if your club room is tight as does reducing the number of lanes. Most clubs have only 3 or 4 lane tracks. Six lanes would be a luxury for a club, and also bring the problem of too many racers and not enough turn marshalls.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 05-10-2008 at 09:33 AM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Lane spacing

Wanker Valley Raceway is a 4 lane Hawthorne style high speed track Gerding built with 4" spacing. We have no trouble racing with up to 1/24 euro 12's. Most new attendees dont even notice the difference. 4 lanes means with 5 guys you race!!!
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

Thanks guys,

It sounds to me like the 4" spacing is adequate but some drivers like more. Tim Tyler called me when he saw this thread and said he likes 4.5". I might split the difference and go 110mm which is 4.33".

I'm currently working on this 4 lane monster. Picked up the CNC cut and routed sections on Friday and couldn't resist laying it out in the back yard. Running length is 95ft and it has 100mm (4") lane spacing.

And just for good measure a couple of pics of my last toy.

How big is the foot print for that track Garry
    Thunderdome Slotcar Raceway
    I Got the Sickness
    Home to a very Fast King Track

Carl,

It's 24ft x 11ft 9" but it's modular so you build it into all sorts of shapes. Would you like me to send you a few example layouts.

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Garry J
    ITim Tyler called me when he saw this thread and said he likes 4.5".
    Augh! Named and shamed! Actually, a little more than 4.5" will usually do me.
    Acme Slot Cars - Vorsprung durch slotnik

acmeslotcars.com

Yes please Garry have been thinking about something like that in back of the raceway for 1/32 cars and cover it up to use as a pit bench at race meetings
    Thunderdome Slotcar Raceway
    I Got the Sickness
    Home to a very Fast King Track

Garry the old budgewoi track used to be 4" lane spacing and everybody liked to race wing and scale cars on it

Tony, I seem to recall that all the tracks we raced on 20 plus years ago were 4" except for G&D. Times have changed though.

Modular Track Pieces

I am interested in the modular track idea. Are these available for anyone, or do you have to know someone with a CNC machine?
    Gary in Ohio