Thread: Relay Panel

Relay Panel

Hi Lee,

From what I heard, you used power supplies with 200 amps
    of output and I know the Midwest Monster has that same amount.
    Therefore, do you think a SRT relay panel with eight 40 amp relays
    (320 amp potential output) is sufficient for a world class flat track.
    Or do you think a Eurosport would require more than 40 amps?

Gary:

I will step in and give a partal background answer since I knew the MTT wiring well. I don't know what you or Roger wired the Midwest Monster with.

I will let Lee answer the rest of the Midwest Monster and MTT info (and about the guage of wire). I believe SHS had a similar setup which Lee gave a recomendation to them.

I believe the standard SRT boards use 30-40 amp Automotive relays.

Setup on the MTT is different than the M&M. The relays used on the MTT were either Potter & Brumfield or the Dayton 30 amp Power relays that you may probaly have used yourself occationally. They are not 40 amp but 30 amp (with an large exception). When Tom Hansen wired the track he used something very similar to a Dayton 5Z556, 5Z550, 5Z552. I looked at the Hillclimb that Tom also wired years prior and they had these same PB or Dayton relays. The Relays are quite good and matched to the guage of wire that was used. Tom was very careful about that. The amperage rating is actually higher if used at 12-14 VDC. Since I can't access the MTT I can not comment what brand name used on the track.

I must note the three banks of Speedshop power supplies were load tested at 290-295 amps at 12.04 volts. I do recall the relays were the 12 VDC in and rated at AC/DC out which allowed better amp draw than the DC out. The DC version out are very similar.

Hope these links work:
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3X748
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5Z556
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5Z550

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 07-09-2008 at 02:39 AM.

Here is the question I have. Why do you need anything more then a 40amp auto relay. all the controlers on the market only use a 30/40amp auto relay on them and that relay cycles hundreds of times a race. I would just just use them and maybe run double in parral just so you have a fail safe. some of those bigger ones can get up there in price.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot
    Roger asked and I recommended the power supplies that the track is now using. They are two banks of Power-One 175-180 amp 1500 watt supplies giving 300-360 total amps if driven under 14 volts (their factory set voltage). I believe Roger is under loading the supplies by using them at 13 volts which ups the amperage some to about 315-330 amps by my tests. Last load test on the sample supply I have if set at 12-12.5 volts they would go up about 10-30 amps more. Because of the wattage of the supplies they will not drop less than 285 amps at any given moment. They are probaly the most solid supplies around. Same as in Buena Park and a couple Brazilian tracks.

I originally set up the Midwest Monster with three 200 amp Powertec
    power supplies that were set at 4.2 volts each resulting in 12.6 volts.
    The last I heard, Roger had not changed anything.
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 07-09-2008 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG
    I originally set up the Midwest Monster with three 200 amp Powertec
    power supplies that were set at 4.2 volts each resulting in 12.6 volts.
    The last I heard, Roger had not changed anything.
    Sorry I was under the impression (when I asked Roger at the Nats and prior emails) he installed 1500 watt Power Ones a while back prior to the ISRA race. Roger will have to refresh us what he is actually using. The 320 amps you suggested earlier would only come from those supplies. The series bank of three Powertecs you originally installed will only put out 185-198 amps max in series. I checked under load-test with my own 200A/4.2V Powertecs.

Mazur50: Its all about the relay contact button plus supporting arm resistive load along with the heat buildup that goes through them. Thus weakening it and resulting in contact failure.

That is why Gary asked the valid question and I will let Lee tell you the story about SHS automotive relays.

Raymond

makes sense I am sure the bigger ones last longer as well.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Power, Power, Power!

Now that everyone has chimed in it's time to ask the expert . If you all want the facts and details you won't get it with me. What I know about power I learned from Alex Danilchek (the Speedshop controller man) and Ramond Batchelor. All I know is that there is no way anyone today should be using batteries with the power supplies available.

I will mention that when we first hooked up the MTT with the SRT system we had a problem with the board. It appeared the too much power was going through it turning all the relays on at one time during the race. Alex put in a master relay to activate the lane relays and that solved the problem.

There is no better place to go for power supply information today than Ray (Slopshot) Batchelor.

Thank you Raymond and Lee.