Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Flat Track Worlds in Chicago July 18-20

Grand Champion

Hey Roger & Andy...

My memory may be fuzzy on this... but it seems to me that the Grand Champion gets a special Grand Champion Plaque, based on overall points from 4 specified classes...

But the name on the perpetual trophy has been the 1/24 Eurosport winner.

Here's a pic showing the past winners on the perpetual Slugfest / Flats trophy:

And the 2007 1/24 Eurosport winner was Kevin Kosir (name added later)

The 2007 "Grand Champion" was none other then the "Pesky Brit" Ray Bishop:

I also expected a much better turnout - but keep in mind that the AMCA / ISRA racing is still in a "rebirth" incubator stage in this area, and I'm sure it will continue to grow.

This would mean that while Greg Gilbert can still try to lay a big kiss on the trophy girl, with the Grand Champion plaque... it should mean that Herman James gets his name added once again on the perpetual trophy!
    (I'm sure Herman put a move or two on the trophy gals as well)

BTW - BOTH Greg's & Herman's names have already graced the trophy once already...

but this would mean Herman joins the ranks of Lee Gilbert, Matt Zenovitch, & Bill Clemans as 2 time winners.

Great coverage & photos - awesome results charts, and looks like it was great racing!

Paul K @ OWH Home Office (wish I was there)
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 07-21-2008 at 01:06 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Bob I know a few more racers including myself from the NW wanted to go. For me the change in dates from June 20th/22nd/23rd to a month later was a deterent. I had incorrectly put in my vacation time months ahead for June thinking it would be the same period. Then the scheduled date was during a peak work period which I couldn't take off.

Raymond

Thought there were no added "air control" devices!! I see several in the pics!!LOL
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

Grand Champeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Yes so Herman won the 1/24th EuroSport race but Greg won the most points during the weekend big time. There are forthcoming photos that Roger had taken that will get here as soon as he posts them. It's too bad that there were not more people in attendance. It's their own fault for not being there, what can I say... They missed a HELL of a race. We had a perfect organization, incredible competition, an awesome race computer, extremely fair racing and ZERO technical issues. I can think a few years back at the "Flats" where it was like the stone age where we had to count laps with these strange lap counters called human brains... hahahah That was one to miss!

I must say that Roger did a tireless job getting everything organized, keeping everyone happy, obtaining THOUSANDS of dollars worth of race prizes which were given out, and even making sure the racers had plenty of Chicago pizza to chow down on!

Looking forward to the next one!

a

Quote Originally Posted by CruzinBob
    Look at the Raceway, the promo, the setup, the views on this thread, the great competition BUT the amount of entries...WHAT THE...?!
    Apparently we need fewer "Keyboard Racers" in the Chicagoland area; Thank you to the local racers who DID make the effort to show up and compete.
    Last edited by M G Brown; 07-21-2008 at 10:30 AM.
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Because someone is going to kick my A$$ cause it is 1:30 in the morning

Im sure that shot

Quote Originally Posted by M G Brown
    Apparently we need fewer "Keyboard Racers" in the Chicagoland area; Thank you to the local racers who DID make the effort to show up and compete.
    will make them what to show up all the more MG.
    Geez cry a little louder so EVERYONE knows just what kind of woman you are!!!

I feel that the current situation in Chicago is a disgrace Tony; pretending it's not there will not make it any better.
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Maybe not

but people will go to a race that "they" want to go to. You will not attract them by insulting them. Also just for the record I doubt that anyone cares where a FTW teeshirt ends up at unless it is on the chest of an "attractive" female such as the other women in this thread. Everyone will do what they want no matter what you say so how about you just don't say anything huh??

Later
    Tony

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by Ody; 07-21-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Just Back from the Race

Herman and I just got back to the Oakland Airport and I am home, the beagles are so glad to see me, not to mention my wife Julie. I was very pleased with a TQ and four 2nd place finishes to the greatest slot car racers in the world, Herman James and Greg Gilbert. Those guys are CRAZY FAST!!! I wish to apologize to anybody who was offended by my comments about D3. I try to express myself with a certain amount of humor, and for those who didn't get it I will say I'm sorry. I have to add to the discussion Andy started as I am a former raceway owner, five years of Fastrax and the 1997 Scale Nats. This is a general comment about raceway owners, and again I don't mean to be offensive....trying to be constructive I hope. We all know that raceway owners have the choice to isolate themselves from eachother and promote bad feelings. The dark side. We also know that it can go the other way around, that owners and OTHERS IN THE INDUSTRY can work with each other constructively. I remember fondly the Brotherhood of Slotcar Racers we had in the Bay Area which brought racers from my track and Frank's track (SCR) together. It was a huge success. I also remember running Division II series in the Bay Area for a year and it generated incredible energy and led to the birth of the Norcal Slot Car Assn. It never hurts to reach out to eachother positively. Conversely, it always does nobody any good by attempting to hurt eachother. We can't afford to not support races, bad mouth eachother, pull a bunch of political junk on one another. Sorry guys, it just stinks. I know about the politics in Chicago...no different here in the Bay Area. Track owners talking down about eachother instead of calling eachother on the phone to say hi. Can you imagine a track owner banning customers from the raceway? Yep, happens here, and for no good reason. Well, I am now going on for too long. Gotta wrap this long winded comment by again saying, the race at Roger's this weekend was awesome. Roger and Laura worked tirelessly, and Andy Wasserman was a class act. Looking forward to more, and let's see this race as an example. Folks, please reexamine your priorities and look at the big picture, it isn't hard.

People will come if they want to

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWasserman
    Yes so Herman won the 1/24th EuroSport race but Greg won the most points during the weekend big time. There are forthcoming photos that Roger had taken that will get here as soon as he posts them. It's too bad that there were not more people in attendance. It's their own fault for not being there, what can I say... They missed a HELL of a race. We had a perfect organization, incredible competition, an awesome race computer, extremely fair racing and ZERO technical issues. I can think a few years back at the "Flats" where it was like the stone age where we had to count laps with these strange lap counters called human brains... hahahah That was one to miss!

I must say that Roger did a tireless job getting everything organized, keeping everyone happy, obtaining THOUSANDS of dollars worth of race prizes which were given out, and even making sure the racers had plenty of Chicago pizza to chow down on!

a
    This is how the race should be left, on a positive note. Don't blame anyone for showing up and if they see this kind of press they just might make it to the next one. When they see you guys are jerks for not making it they tend to go "oh ok guess I am a jerk then".

Later
    Tony

p.s. congrats Roger on throwing what looked like a great race I am sure the attendence will improve as the weather gets colder.
    Looking forward to the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWasserman
    I can think a few years back at the "Flats" where it was like the stone age where we had to count laps with these strange lap counters called human brains... hahahah That was one to miss!
    Andy - that wasn't the Flats or the Slugfest! That was THE USRA NATS!!! (in Portland)
    DOH!!!

You even had to take your shoes off for lap counting on that one! (who said anything about human BRAINS??)

You were also at the 2003 Flats, I believe, where we had a FANTASTIC turnout back when it was at South Hill Slots. It took a few years to spread the word and build the popularity of this even, and with a new track in fairly "virgin" territory, it should continue to grow once again.

Other then that - we can certainly blame the rising airline costs

Good job to all involved!
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

That's OK Tony.... the USRA Nats is up next and I am sure there will be plenty of "ripping" going on afterwards.

George hit the nail on the head with his post.
    "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald
    That was THE USRA NATS!!! (in Portland)
    DOH!!!

You even had to take your shoes off for lap counting on that one! (who said anything about human BRAINS??)
    Yea and who "conned" us into going there?
    "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

ouch!

you want fries with that ? hehehehehe

Paul K: sorry I misidentified the race. I think it was just one of those traumatic moments in my life that I'd not prefer to remember, like getting run over by a bus or something.....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast