Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Flat Track Worlds in Chicago July 18-20

Was there any one specific reason why more locals did not participate other than the typical summer time reason?

Dominator,

The answer to your question is expressed within this thread and it has
    little to do with with the weather or price of fuel!

I would have added to the racer count,

tho certainly not to the podium spots!!

I was at our annual family reunion, but otherwise would never have missed this race. I was very sad that the weekends dates conflicted!

I'll see you all at the next big one (the ISRA NA Champs at Lou's track)!

Greg

I had a great time at the event. A special thanks to Roger and Laura for putting on a great event, and to all the sponsors. Also, I would like to thank Parma, Steve Keopp, Mike Who?, Third Eye, TonyP, and Lee Gilbert. As Andy said during one of the races "we have quality racers over quantity." I couldn't agree more, a somewhat light turnout, but the racing was as good as ever. Definately had a great time, unfortanately on the way home today, some of the luggage was lost. And of course it was the suitcase with all the motors and eurosport cars. Congrats to all the winners and to Mid-America raceway for having the best roadcourse in the country.

Jonathan
    ParmaPSE
    3rd Eye Technology

Great Racing

It was an incredible pleasure to return to Chi-Town for a slot car meeting after so long. I always enjoyed racing there and now that Roger has the finest scale track in the world I intend to get back there as soon a possible.

The competition from notables like Herman James, George Russell, Dave Schleuter, Kevin Van Pelt and Mike Stahl was incredible and Jonathan Forsyth showed how good he is becoming in the later races after having a tough time in the early going. I feel Jonathan will have his breakout race soon and join the ranks of the elite roadracers.

It was great meeting Dave Fiedler and seeing Ron Hershman and Steve Koep again. My Socal buddies Tim Hould and Mike Who are always a blast to hang out with and Andy Wasserman is always great. Andy even showed me how good he is at Fooseball. I mean he is REALLY GOOD at Fooseball.

Two of the most exciting races were IRL and 1/24 Eurosport. Both of which I was second in. To Mike Stahl in IRL and Herman in !/24 Euro. In 1/24 Herman and I battled back and fourth all race long and when it was over we were both exhausted. Herman led the IRL race untill the last heat when all hell broke loose in the final minute and I thought I had it in the bag untill the power went off and Mike Stahl had passed me by three feet! I think there were four cars on the lead lap at the finish. It was wild!

I'm glad I finally got to race with Dave S. and K.V.P. and they are great competitors as well as gentlemen on the track. I saw lots of good sportsmanship and mutual respect amongst the racers. It was a great meeting.

Roger put on one hell of a race and anyone who stayed away for the wrong reasons just deprived themselves of being part of the greatest show I have been part of in YEARS!!!! My hats off to Roger and Laura for the facility, the tracks, the prizes, the shirts, the tropy girls and the great hotel rates and amenities! The A/C was so cold I almost had to wear a jacket even in the 89% humidity! The spytech race director system is AWESOME!!

The Scale nats will be an even better show so make your plans and book your flights.

Of course I have to thank Lee Gilbert, my car builder for the incredible cars he built me for almost all the classes, Foamy for the awesome retro can am car, Bill Brown of BOW for the Great 1/32 Euro motor and the C=can setup I used in open 12. I also want to thank Dan Miller of PK for the great 1/32 F-1 and 1/32 Euro arms.

thanks again to Roger and Laura, the locals, the SoCal bunch, the Retro racers, Ron H. , Parma and many more who contributed to this fine race.

Over and out,

Greg G.
    How Sweet It Is!!!!!

Congratulations Greg!

It was good to see all the guys, even if it was for a short while. It looked like a really nice track and I liked the raceway too.

Next time you see me I will probably be racing, not just watching.

Roy H.

just a few photos

a few of the better photos from the event

the first for Edo

the man they call "Dad" in the back, racing and buiding since the 60s Lee Gilbert and a few of his drivers

red shirt= in jail

Bill "PSYCHO" Cyko former Army Drill Sergeant, current "Rocket Scientist" at Fermi lab in batavia.
    This was cyko's first big race, entering 5 classes he took concours in 4 of the classes

Concours was hard fought in a few classes

first place

second place

third place
    Roger Schmitt

MidAmerica Slot Car Raceway LLC
    109 1/2 West Monroe st.
    Bloomington, IL 61701

630-484-8574

Mid America Raceway Naperville
    1223 E Ogden ave
    Suite 139
    Naperville, Il 60563

more pics i like

The 1/24 formula -1 class will be killer at the nats, can you beat these three guys?

Fast ones/ Outisite sponsored the retro race

Andy Wasserman, the race director for the ISRA worlds, the swedish masters, and other big world events, flew in to race direct for us.

a Huge Thanks for Andy

and since Andy took over the race directing duties

my wife laura had a chance to race.
    she won concours in 1/24 eurosport, and got 8th place out of 12, not bad for her first open race

These two guys are the big winners

I'd like to thank everyone who made the trip out.
    Laura, and I hope you all had a good time.

Tomorrow we will post the final raffle results.
    we still have some balancing coupons to give away from Who balancing, and a Jaygee 200 controller.

in all I think we gave away about $2000 in race prizes.

rog
    Roger Schmitt

MidAmerica Slot Car Raceway LLC
    109 1/2 West Monroe st.
    Bloomington, IL 61701

630-484-8574

Mid America Raceway Naperville
    1223 E Ogden ave
    Suite 139
    Naperville, Il 60563

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

With regards to the top picture.....remove car...replace with.....

Shlomos...

You haven't changed a bit!

Sincerely,
    Spiros

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWasserman
    With regards to the top picture.....remove car...replace with.....
    A "hot dog"
    "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

To: Spiros Poppadopolis

Yassis. Nuff said!

Thumbs down

Sorry, but I held off on this as long as I could.

Why is it that just because a BIG race is in your area the host track FEELS that the locals are compled to show up???

Of the calsses that were run, I had cars for only two-three and those were run on a day that I was working. All the other classes would have ment me buying and building cars that I probably will not run again let alone the cost involved. I already have a box of cars that a class was started for but then quit running.

Yes the Chicago area is in a bit of turmoil, but not due to the racers.
    Just look what happened to the Falcon series for a classic example!!!!
    Bob Oaks
    Remember these are just toy cars

bobo

bobo how many cars do you have that you can't run at paradice...

Low Racer Turnout

There can be many reasons for people not racing slot cars today. High fuel costs, loss of a job, local politics, etc. The real problem is that if racers don't turn out for their local races then in the near future they won't have tracks to race on.

I have been in slot racing longer than most and have seen a lot and what I see today is less and less people interested in slot racing. We had to close our local track last January, not because we couldn't get racers in the higher priced classes (12s and Euros) but because we were unable to interest new racers in lower Falcon classes. I am not sure why this is but that's the way it is in the Seattle area.

As for the racers that didn't show up for the Flat Track Worlds it was their loss because we had some of the best slot racing this year. Both Greg Gilbert and Herman James put on quite a show along with the the best the Mid West had to offer. I believe everyone who raced had a good time and Roger went all out to make a great race.

The next big race is the ISRA Worlds in England. There will be at least 40 to 60 two man teams in production, 60 to 80 1/32 F1 cars, 60 to 80 1/32 Eurosports and 60 to 90 1/24th Eurosports! There will be racers from all over the world that will be racing for nothing more that trophies and bragging rights. In a county the size and wealth of America you would think that we could get at least as many entries as Europe for a big race.

I don't have the answer but one thing is for sure -- if more people don't show more if an interest tracks will be far and few in the future.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast