Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chassis design?

Chassis design?

Hi Lee,

Would you mind filling me in on some of the theory behind you guide tongue hingeing and other SpeedShop chassis design features?

Can you also touch upon the European designs like Horky's, Saunders,etc....

Thank you,
    Bob C.
    Bob Campbell
    BC RallySport
    Colorado Springs, CO

Strange Guide Tongue

Hi Bob,

The idea behind the moving flex (up and down) guide tongue is the when your car enters a corner under braking the front end gives like a cars suspension. This give allows you to enter a turn faster and carry the added speed all the way through the turn. When your exits the turn the guide moves back loading the rear tires giving you added traction. This is the theory but testing is the only way to know if it works. My testing has shown that the car is more forgiving and faster with this set up. As for Horkys and Saunders chassis check the thread on "Pan Movement"

Cool

I can't get it to come up. It times out on me.
    PHIL I.

Phil, I get all kinds of spam for drugs that will help you with that problem, let me know and I can PM you on it.......

Lee,

Thanks for the reply! That's kind of what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure.

Bob C.
    Bob Campbell
    BC RallySport
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thumbs up Hehwehehe...yeah.....

DATS NOT DA PROBLEM I TALKIN ABOUT! I got da little blue pills to.....
    I is talkin about da web site.........

OL'FRT........
    PHIL I.

Phil, I'm just plain silly. On a more serious note, when the Speedshop team was in Chicago a few weeks ago for the Flat Track Worlds, I was very lucky to win the drawing for a built Richard Mack Open 12 chassis. I know Lee was kind of interested in it, it seems to have some good flex elements, but the side pans are very loosey goosey, as Lee puts it. I plan to build it this weekend as a full blown Open 12, aluminum endbell, .540 X-12 arm, 2mm rear axle with 72 pitch gears....I'm going 7:43. Can't wait to see how it works on the SCR road course, I'm already thinking of ideas of tying down the loose pans.

Question

Man thats a stout ratio. Your motor must be one heck of a rever or your on a real short track.....But then the only strap motors I have run are G27s..

PHIL I.

try sawing them!!! LOL
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

Phil, at the Flat Track Worlds in Chicago two weeks ago, the Speedshop racers all ran that ratio on a 150' road course. We ran basically USRA legal GT12 cars, $42 Slick 7 chassis with bushings. Between Herman, Greg, Jonathon and myself, we finished 1,2,3,4 ahead of a field of Open 12s running $200 chassis and motors with aluminum endbells....go figure. We spin the bejeezus out of the motor to remove the torque..makes it much more driveable. Low gear ratio, wider airgap. So, getting back to the original topic of this thread "chassis design", the Slick 7 chassis that Lee builds for us has no pan "movement", just flex. The Open 12s have intricate moving pans.

Is there a picture of the open 12 chassis you ran or is visible on the Slick 7 website?

Dominator,

The chassis that Jonathan, ran was a Slick-7 GTX chassis. The motor was a Koford can and end bell with cahosa T-5 magnets, 530 air gap and a 38-degree pro-slot arm. Jonathan TQed at Chicago. The other three Slick-7 chassies were ASP-4 by Lee Gilbert, all four cars were great.

Steve Forsyth
    ParmaPSE
    3rd Eye Technology

Steve,

I couldn't find a picture of the GTX on the Slick7 website. Could you post one a picture of one? Also what is the difference between the asp 3 and 4?

Come On Dom!!

Last edited by wjdougherty; 08-04-2008 at 08:00 AM.

wjdougherty,

Thank you for posting the link. I could'nt get the pic to up-load to the site. Dominator, should be able to see all the difference between the chassis.

Steve Forsyth
    ParmaPSE
    3rd Eye Technology

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast