Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16 Position choke with only 4 Relays

Had a few enquiries about this so I reinstated the download in the original post

Here it is again - BCD_Choke_Switch.pdf

To all those who have enquired about this recently.

I'm getting some boards made professionally, it'll take a couple of weeks and I'll provide more information when I have them.

Cheers,

Garry

Hi Gary, was wondering if you have any pictures available of any that have been built?

Thanks

I am currently doing a similar project with adding a wire choke and relays to my czech pro2. Can anyone post some pictures of thei controller that could help me see how you laid everything out? much appreciated
    Casey Scott

Team Camen - PK Armatures

www.theisrausa.com

Casey,
    this type of choke (4 coils, 4 relays and an expensive, but small switch) is quite fine for so few components. You should be aware, though, that if you at some time will need all the power that track can provide this type of choke give a bit a resistance. As the relays get old and worn their resistance increases, and since there are 4 in series the increase in resistance can be significant, 0.03-0.06 ohm in total. In that case you'll have to exchange all 4 relays.

Steen

I run the same design but have 2 bypass relays, one pre-choke to remove the need for high current to the controller handle and the second relay post choke (switchable).

Casey,

I know that you are a far faster driver than I'll ever be, but allow me to make a simple suggestion: Just mount a simple wire choke on top of your pro-2 transistor box. I use a Bugenis choke (Bill actually sells mounting hardware for a pro-2). Gugu uses an even simpler and very pretty wire coil choke.

For choke adjustments while running, simply use the voltage choke. This works great, is totally reliable and sturdy, and fits well with the KISS principle.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the input and the compliment. The whole reason i am doing this is that i dont want to have to change the choke by hand down at the track. Im using the choke i already had in conjunction with the relays and a rotory switch to change the choke setting up on the controller. It is almost done and i will post some pictures when finished in case anybody else is interested or thinking of doing something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    Casey,

I know that you are a far faster driver than I'll ever be, but allow me to make a simple suggestion: Just mount a simple wire choke on top of your pro-2 transistor box. I use a Bugenis choke (Bill actually sells mounting hardware for a pro-2). Gugu uses an even simpler and very pretty wire coil choke.

For choke adjustments while running, simply use the voltage choke. This works great, is totally reliable and sturdy, and fits well with the KISS principle.

Greg
    Casey Scott

Team Camen - PK Armatures

www.theisrausa.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12