3 2.27%
  • Other

12 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite controller?

bang for buck

Quote Originally Posted by nckissfan View Post
    I am new to the hobby, and on a budget. What is the best controller for the least amount of money? Thanks
    The most bang for your buck would be the Difalco.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot32 View Post
    The most bang for your buck would be the Difalco.
    Not if it doesn't work for the person using it. A Difalco would be a waste of money for me as I could never get used to the power band it has. The best bang for the buck is the controller that does what the user asks of it at the cost he is willing to pay.

If you are racing wing cars then the Difalco MIGHT be the right controller for you. For scale cars, I would head towards the Ruddock or 3rd Eye controllers. I would also try it before spent my hard earned money on the controller. What works for me won't likely be the best for you as I probably have a completely different driving style than you do and thus prefer a different type of controller.

Before I got my first Speedshop, I bought a Ruddock DR-30. It was an awesome controller but didn't work for the faster cars I wanted to run. So I got the DR-40 and then later had it massaged by Speedshop to the Linear controller it is now. My son used the DR-30 for a couple of seasons until I found another DR-40 and had it massaged by Speedshop. So, in the long run while the DR-30 was a good buy, I would have saved money if I had just bought the first DR-40 to begin with.

I haven't had the fun of being able to try the Carsteen or Pro 3 controllers so can't say they would be better or not.
    Gary Johnson

Gary I will always be here to repair my controllers with the speed shop tweak and I can make them better than ever. I finally figured out what wire wound part he uses for the wiper. I can repair it if the windings become a mess. Also the way he solders the wire to the last band is poorly done. I have come up with a better way to do it that is smoother both mechanically and electrically. Dan
    Dan Ruddock
    DR racing products
    40256 Crestridge Way
    Palmdale, Ca. 93551
    661-224-1185
    www.gofastest.com/dr
    dr-40@juno.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
    Gary I will always be here to repair my controllers with the speed shop tweak and I can make them better than ever. I finally figured out what wire wound part he uses for the wiper. I can repair it if the windings become a mess. Also the way he solders the wire to the last band is poorly done. I have come up with a better way to do it that is smoother both mechanically and electrically. Dan
    It is the inards of the 50 ohm pot that they use on Jim's Controller.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

I got my 3rd eye predetor and I am very impressed. Well bult built,clean solder work and very smooth. I'm very happy with my decision and a Big shout out to scott at E-slot Thanks Bud!!
    Gilbert, AZ
    Falcon Wing/G12/Flexi/Nascar/Drag Race

if one is using a $50 controller, is he at a disadvantage over the guy using a $150 controller?

I found myself at a disadvantage when racing in the pro class. Not to mention it is so nice to dial more brake in as your motor wears. I swear up and down the car has more power also. Ask me why I have no clue but man it picked up. I went from running 4.5 and some 4.4's to 4.2 and I did a couple 4.1's. My 1st race with the pros I finished last. This time I led after the first 2 heats, got mixed up in some garbage and finished 6th out of 12 entries not to far behind though. Couple of the guys would have cought me anyway as they run 3.8's and 3.9's. I feel it really helped and my ability is also improving. In no time I'll be right there. Remember it's all in fun, don't break yourself!! See if somebody may have a spare controller to try before you jump on the purchase. Most importantly keep it in the slot
    Gilbert, AZ

when I visited the local track, one of the guys let me test his car. I don't know what kind of controller he had, but it did have brake control.

I think we made a big mistake allowing electronic controllers into the sport. All it did was add expense, did not help level competition and drove people away from the hobby. Rick Davis seems to do very well with a resistor controller.

In our FCR and F5 classes at TSS we have to use a Parma Turbo with no brake pot and everyone seems to like it.
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg

No it didnt, go look at a decent r/c controllers 250.00. I have a JR that is over 600.00. Quite treating slot car racing like a poor mans hobby. There are levels of racing that really do require highend controllers. Then there are levels that dont require it. Nobody forces anyone to purchase a 200.00 or even an 800.00 controller.

I have flexi falcon cars, falcon wing cars, G12 wing cars, Open Euro sport cars, 1/32nd open euro.....Yeah cant quite run them with a 4ohm Parma.

They dont make the car stay in the slot, or make you a better driver. They do allow you to adjust for what you want the controller to feel like for a given track condition or use it with a much wider range of classes without needing 10 controllers. Buy right and buy it once

It levels competition because you still have to drive the car. Have a clue about setup, and again drive the car.

I do not race against 1 person that does not have a Difalco, Ruddock, or 3rd eye and most newbies dont mind spending more then 55.00 on a controller. There is value in it depending on your plans
    Last edited by AZHOTSHOE; 07-18-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    Gilbert, AZ

Watch out Nelson, Rich Davis now has a new ruddock dr-40 18 band to kick our butt's with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]RICH
    THE GROOVE RACEWAY (check out my home page) and PSC race team
    PRECISION SLOT CARS CHASSIS FIXTURES, BUILD THEM TO WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
    Dan went through my Speedshop modified DR40 and improved it very noticeably, something I didn't think was possible.

With a Dan-tweaked Speedshop DR40 and an 18-band DR30, why would I need to test other controllers?

Thanks, Dan!

One the thing's I don't like about OWH I never know who it is that is saying nice things about me. Hint paul. I have a hard enough time remembering names let alone handles too. Dan
    Last edited by Dan Ruddock; 07-18-2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Dan Ruddock
    DR racing products
    40256 Crestridge Way
    Palmdale, Ca. 93551
    661-224-1185
    www.gofastest.com/dr
    dr-40@juno.com

I am looking for a used Ruddock, in good working order.
    Let me know if anybody has one for sale.

Save your money and get a new Ruddock. Your be happy you did. Check this site out e-slotcars.com they have everything.. And ask for Scott..He'll hook you up..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast