48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes ball bearings

29 60.42%
  • No ball bearings

19 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D Can Ball Bearings

That, of course, is silly. I get your sarcasm...and very well put because I enjoy sarcastic remarks! But please run Deathstars with bushings in weekly programs to make it affordable. Please allow bearings for USRA racing, for the diehard racers that get on airplanes and travel to races across the country. Let me summarize: bushings for local raceway weekly racing, bearings for race monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by fxgeorge
    That, of course, is silly. I get your sarcasm...and very well put because I enjoy sarcastic remarks! But please run Deathstars with bushings in weekly programs to make it affordable. Please allow bearings for USRA racing, for the diehard racers that get on airplanes and travel to races across the country. Let me summarize: bushings for local raceway weekly racing, bearings for race monsters.
    Wouldn't that make it more difficult for somebody to become involved in the USRA or possibly move up?

It's sad when your arms wear before your gears do. The whole point is to save money.

Hard to Move Up?

Quote Originally Posted by BucKy
    Wouldn't that make it more difficult for somebody to become involved in the USRA or possibly move up?
    It seems to me that if you are in the process of moving up, you have probably already ratcheted up the race team budget. You know what, even in USRA if bearings were allowed, you wouldn't be required to run them. I know a lot of racers who think bushings (when set up correctly) are more efficient than bearings anyway (bearings have so many moving parts).

Back in the days of "run what ya brung" ball bearings were just another option to try. Today, we have learned that the easiest way to lose the beginner racer is to make it unaffordable for them to compete - which is the main reason for hand-out motors, sealed motors, etc. There IS a desire to unrestrict these classes and I suggest that there be a DRIVERS CLASS distinction - PRO CLASS. Novice class can still race and you can have them all in the same race - just separate the class winners.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Logic flawed by misinformation

There are several good reasons to restrict the use of bearings in a beginners class, such as: The OTC stock motors don't have them, it requires more mechanical skill to install them properly, or that when they fail its catastrauphic compared to the slow failure of a bushing.

On the other hand, the economic arguements are quite ridiculous. Bearings have been GROSSLY overpriced by the industry for years, sort of like the $3 scoop of ice cream at a restaurant. You pay for the service and the washing of the dish. Fact is, I'm glad I don't have to buy bushings when I blueprint motors (because they come with the setup anyway), as in modest quantities the bearings cost LESS than the bushings. This is due to much lower minimum purchase requirements for the bearings.

The observations concerning shaft wear are spot on also, although insisting on a hard shaft and using good oil (mind out of the gutter, Mom!!!) can tame that problem. Again, a fact, the difference between the wholesale cost of a reamer blank shaft and a cheap shaft is less than the cost of the bushing.

Get over it... the reason the 'fast stuff ' costs more is the cost of labor, not materials.

if the classes being raced are geared towards a entry level racer why would we need bearings. keep the entry level racing just that level. No newby starts racing and stays if they feel that they do not stand a chance of winning. at the local level it is the track owners responsibilty to set up rules and inforce them at thier track not just to follow this sactionimhg body or that one. It is local racing. You can't take a local car and show up at a cup race and be able to win so the locals that want to race in a series will be spending money to do so.
    [COLOR="Black"]TEAM ACES AND 8's http://f2000.us/[/url]

In the 90's i ran shimmed up s16 magnets on stock and homeset arms, this was pre deathstar years, we had loose rules for local stocks. I would wear out bushings in 2 races, not from RPM, from raw torque mixed with 11/27 gearing and 13/16 tires. I agree there should be a novice and pro level in the racing, but that would cut racers and money. on another note, I never bought an 80.00 motor, though they existed then as well, I bought a parma and a set of s16 magnets and worked from there. Build it right you never have a dud

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12