Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Father Of The 2mm Axle

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot
    So does that make Uncle Ernie the "Godfather" of the 2mm?

Peter has direct ties and can ask the Godfather.

Raymond

Paul yiou cna chime in now.....
    I'm just glad you didn't say "mother"...

Just in case anyone missed this in my previous ramble...

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald
    Many developments in slot car racing, let alone any form of technology, are often the results of collaboration & experimentation, rather then the result of someone simply waking up suddenly from a dream of some new breakthrough.
    PK
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

What do you really mean.... what are you trying to say.....

....2mm's at two hundred twenty-five paces...turn and....

Raymond

Sorry fellas

I'm not the Godfather of the 2mm axle, it's definitely Lee as far as I know.
    The axle Ron H referred to was an axle I used that was "flatted" on 3 sides, 120 degrees apart. When you glanced at it, it appeared as a 2mm axle
    E.

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by ernie mossetti
    Sorry fellas

I'm not the Godfather of the 2mm axle, it's definitely Lee as far as I know.
    The axle Ron H referred to was an axle I used that was "flatted" on 3 sides, 120 degrees apart. When you glanced at it, it appeared as a 2mm axle
    E.
    You mean Ron Hershman was wrong?
    All machines are amplifiers.

Oh crap, I just fell off my stool! My world is now turned completely upside down, I'm not sure what to do now.

Lee seems to always come up with new stuff in his quest to make completely different car concepts work.
    The first one I saw run quads was Lee in 1987 Chicago Nats I was running a 6 mag in Detroit in 1986. Had no top end, but was running straight up, when everybody had 10 feet of choke.

I made a number of 6 mag motors in late 1985-1986.
    (As Beuf, about "Animal Joe" he saw it run in Nor-Cal races in 1986, he made his own version and showed me at the 1994 Nats)

Rudy
    Rudy Garriga
    Slick 7 Products
    www.slick7.com

i used 2mm axles with spacers from 85-89 did not tell anyone i made them from a metal rattle can ,( justice bros. engine cleaner) still have some and still doing it ,so i can use lee's 3/32 wheels. the 1st cars i used them on were grp. 15 useing motor oilites. i still have the wire frame with the 2mm oilites. said frame is wierd, i used real thin wire going all over the place and am thinking of sticking a falcon motor ( yuk ) in and race the f. class wings. yrs. truly, leonard strand

So Leonard...

Does that make you the "mother" or the "grandfather" of the 2mm axle????

P.S. - kidding aside, I think Greg's & other's point was not just who actually tried or used it first, but "pioneer" credit generally who succeeded with a new innovation to the point of it influencing and changing a new trend that other's follow in the hobby.

If your 2mm axles preceded Lee's - then you were certainly a trail blazer - but by making it popular, Lee gets the credit for starting a new trend.
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 08-26-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by fxgeorge View Post
    Back in the 1/8" axle days, I remember when the 3/32" axle started and we were all thinking those little things would break too easily. Well, the same thing is happenning today amongst the 2mm Non-Believers. The funny thing is, at the last race at Buena Park, I forget who did it, but somebody broke a 3/32" axle! As for 2mm axles, so far no reports of breaking, for sure with Speedshop regulars. Maybe we were right back in the 1/8" axle days about those 3/32 axles after all
    George,

I broke a 3/32" axle in the Falcon powered Advanced LMP race at the Flats this year. I also broke a 2mm axle on my Euro in the first Euro race of the season.

The Euro axle broke due to a turn marshal putting a car down right as I was going by. You should have seen the parts flying! And no Dr Death, I don't blame you, it was my fault for driving into your hand!

The Adv LMP happened due to becoming a rider on the back straight and hitting the wall backwards with the gear side wheel. It his so hard the rim was flattened to the opposite side of the rim!
    Gary Johnson

hi paul, glad you are still with us. yes i agree with you on the 2mm pioneer " lee gilbert". i knew i should have made that clearer in my 1st post, i was just telling a slot story. when i started racing slots in 1965 in stockton, ca. i built a brass frame and used a pittman motor. because i like to experiment, i offset the motor to one side, at the time i thought it was an improvement, for that track. p.s. i still have .062 axles i used, and i won't tell you the rest of the story, ha, yrs. truly ? leonard strand

As with many of these things, it is not just the "invention" but the application of the invention that needs to be specified. The people mentioned may well haev been those who made 2mm axles work in 1/24 scale Eurosport cars in the US and possibly other places in the world, but this was definitely not the first time 2mm axles have been used in slot car racing worldwide.

Case in point: I remember using 2mm axles in 1/32 scale anglewinders in 1975. We had a toolmaker in our club in South Africa who would obtain the drill blanks, grind a flat along the entire length of the drill blank for setscrew location, and also bush the Taylormade angled gears we were using down from their initial 1/8 hole to 2mm. Since most of us were machining our own wheels and cutting our own (orange) tires, it was simple to make wheels with a 2mm bore. I still have that reamer.

We stopped using 2mm axles back then as performance advantage on small, heavy 1/32 cars was not enough to justify all that work once 3/32 equipment became easily available.
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

dont forget the driver, Hershey nats 1st in 1/32 euro by a bunch and 2nd in 1/24 euro

whats the point sounds like more of a pain in the *** than its worth?????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12