Thread: OWH is 12 Years Old

OWH is 12 Years Old

April Fool's Day is also OWH's birthday for being online.

It was April Fool's Day in 1997 that I launched the OWH web site online, although OWH had existed on & off in print since 1971.

I have completely skipped April Fool's Day, however, so I'm not around to celebrate the dubious occassion. I left SEA just after midnight on March 31, crossing the date line right into April 2, en route to the Phillipines.

I am typing this on a free internet computer at the airport in Taipai Taiwan while on a 3 hour lay-over, then headed to Manila, then Davao.

But rest assured, every day can be like April Fool's Day here on OWH Slot Car Talk, and you don't have to be a fool to fool around here, but it helps!

So happy birthday to OWH, and happy April Fools Day to all my friends online and at raceways, home & club tracks all over.

I'm off to go fool around!

Paul K @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 04-03-2009 at 03:32 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Happy Birthday Paul.

What takes you to the PP this time?
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Paul
    You done ah good thing !!!
    As always, thanks for all you do for us here on owh
    Happy birthday OWH !!!!!!
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

Smile

Great Job!

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald
    April Fool's Day is also OWH's birthday for being online.

It was April Fool's Day in 1997 that I launched the OWH web site online
    that would be just a few weeks before the Scale Nats at my raceway! I remember the internet was just starting to really take off then, many slot car racers would be talking about this or that website, it was an exciting time. But not as exciting as now!

Are you going to check out the slot scene there? I have a name of a "fellow" there that bounced a credit card on me.....
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity
    Happy Birthday Paul.

What takes you to the PP this time?
    I believe her name is Destiny.

The Best There Is!

Happy Birthday & well done Paul, well done!
    The first site I refer to when asked. Keep up the good work.

Well... I'm in Davao Philippines now, and finally resorted to stopping in at a net cafe. I can't seem to get my rusty old laptop to connect at the hotel, but had to check in on OWH.

Thanks for all the kind words - OWH really has been a community of friends from all over the world who share this weird hobby of playing with toy cars - just as I had hoped and intended from the get-go.

George - it was the Western States Champs at Hagginwood that inspired a 4 issue print circulation of OWH back in the mid 1980's, and it was the Scale Nats as Fastrax in Rodeo that inspired the rebirth of OWH online.

Zip - you should be able to guess what brings me 8,000 miles away from home - and no... it ain't toy cars (not this time).

Daisyslots is close, but her name is Amor, but yes, she is my destiny.

After working day & night without sleep to get stuff done before leaving, I managed to come down with a bad cold bug, and have had sinus problems like crazy. Rather then going to a doctor or loading up on more drugs, we saw an ad for a Thai Massage Spa... and after the most wonderful full body massage for an hour, I feel like I'm floating on a cloud. We had two expert little masseuses working in perfect unison on us side by side... and to top it off, the whole deal was less then $5 USD each!

Definitely worth another visit!

After the massage we had a nice Chinese food dinner... and the tab on that was around $4 for both of us!

No slot car tracks in this economy any more, but I think Karaoke is the national pastime!

I'll be taking pictures, and once I figure out how to upload them maybe I'll get some posted. I'll be making a travel video for YouTube after the trip when I get the time.

It just got dark here now, and the night life is as busy here as Las Vegas - we had a taxi driver that could give Mario Andretti a run for him money, but weaving through traffic like a maniac! (I'll take some video next time).

OK - enough typing - I've got to get back to my sweetheart...

Mabuhay from the Philippines

Paul K @ OWH
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 04-03-2009 at 03:54 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Enjoy the 2nd honeymoon(lol) and thanx for the board and all the friends I have made because of it and all the fun ( even with those we do not care for but it is all in the name of fun ) that goes with it.
    [COLOR="Black"]TEAM ACES AND 8's http://f2000.us/[/url]

Paul,

Thanks for OWH, it's a blessing to all of us in the hobby.

12 years old! Wow, that's a great track record! Probably one of the first boards up in the then new internet!
    Florida Slotter, aka Marty Stanley,
    A "Double 60's" Slot Racer
    Killer X Raceways Team Racer

Talking OWH is 12 years old? Uh oh!

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!
    STAND BACK! OWH IS IN PUBERTY!

Soon there'll be changes. The voice will start changing. There'll be a period of rapid growth. Giant mood swings from goofy to sullen and rebelliousness. The body of a child will go through a change towards an adult body. Body hair will start growing. Hormones will rage through the body.....

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!
    STAND BACK! OWH IS IN PUBERTY!
    ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!
    All machines are amplifiers.