Thread: 4.5 FCR Nascar Hardbody Setup

4.5 FCR Nascar Hardbody Setup

Hi Paul,

I see different chassis setups using FCR for 4.5 Nascar Hard body setups running on a banked tri-oval. I don't like to use weight but it's unavoidable on the flat curve with these top heavy Hard body's.

Right now I don't have the front tires touching but almost so the right tire just touches in the flat curve for stability. I do have nail polish on the front right tire to keep it from grabbing. Also we are not allowed to modify the chassis in anyway except for the oilet towers we can enlarge for up and down tire adjustment.. I run offset oilets up and forward.

In your experience of running these what have you found works best for you? We have a big race finally coming up this Friday and I want to be hooked up for this.

Thanks in advance Paul for sharing your years of experience with us.

Rush
    It's All Or Nothing, Giver The Nuts !!

Paul may differ, but An FCR is not a wing car or other high down-force aerodynamic missle. ALL 4 wheels need to be on the track to keep that brick stable - otherwise tip-over city.! I podiumed at a USSCA Nats on the big Trioval.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcatlarry
    Paul may differ, but An FCR is not a wing car or other high down-force aerodynamic missle. ALL 4 wheels need to be on the track to keep that brick stable - otherwise tip-over city.! I podiumed at a USSCA Nats on the big Trioval.
    I see your point on this about all 4 wheels on the track for stability but these big slugs have enough drag / friction as it is. Would it be better to have the front wheels barely touching so you have less friction on the straightaways?

Thanks for your input Ramcatlarry. Does anyone else have any neat tricks to add? Lets break out the secrets.

Rush

years ago.....when we raced 4.5 hard shell cars on a short 60' tri-oval, all 4 tires were touching. in fact, i used to use a bit of tire bite, on the left front tire. it seemed to allowe me to drive deeper into the turns for several laps before it went away. the added benifit was the next guy in my lane had to drive his car differently. nail polish works well for alot of racers too. you could get similar results by trying different composition front tires and rear stagger. for example a semi-dried out tire which would not be of much use on the rear, could be altered to fit the right front position. then use a tire with alittle grip to it, for the left front. my .02. john

Good idea on the tire goop

Hey good idea John. I also thought of using a softer left front tire and cutting it down to track rules size and leave the inside edge as is rather than rounding the tire edge. This may add more bite to keep it from tipping and help to drive harder into the corners..hmmmm may work.

Rush

FCR chassis

We have a series using hard bodies on the 4.5 FCR chassis. My rule of thumb is to have the front wheels off the track about the thickness of a standard buisness card. I was taught by one of the best FCR racers in the south and it has seemed to work for me. The key to handling with this chassis is to keep the chassis staight. It tends to twist when you hit the wall and that will cause the chassis to handle like the old pick up truck LOL.

Hope that helps

Ken
    Kwoody 94
    RUBBIN IS RACING