Thread: 1/24th F1/Indycars setup

Question 1/24th F1/Indycars setup

Hi Paul

I understand that in some parts of the USA, F1/Indycars using JK Cheetah 7 chassis & Falcon motors is quite popular. So, I was hoping you will be able to give me some setup advice, that will make these things go real fast. I race on basically flat road courses, the main one has 2 long straights & mostly tight, slow corners. This is a new class being introduced over here, so i'd like to get to grips with it before the Nats, over here. I'll look forward to your reply.

Cheers,Paul

We race these every week at Keystone, so here goes. Make sure the chassis is flat and the rear up rights are perpendicular and parallel to the center line, then solder the bushings using jig wheels and a chassis jig. Set up the front wheels for independent rotation. The fronts must !!! touch and roll on the track, to set guide hight press down on the guide nut (body off) if the car rotates on the fronts, unloading the rears, add guide spacers to stabilize so that the rears don't lift at all (very important). Change out the supplied bite bar with piano wire .047 or .055 or .062 , this controls the pan movement and is a tuning tool and will change depending on track conditions. Finally, these cars are very sensitive to rear tires and generally have too much bite, I narrow them to the hub width and round the corners well, but of course, this will totally depend on the track so don't be afraid to experiment. These cars a a real blast to race, try to avoid wheel to wheel contact, they launch well.
    Improving performance one hazardous material at a time.

Thanks for that Steve. Now what is the best way to set up the front wheels for independant rotation, considering that the wheels are both mounted on the 3/32" front axle? Also, how do you get the bite bar out & get the piano wire in? Another thing i just noticed is that the pans sit quite a bit higher than the centre section. That won't help the handling, so what's your advice on that.

Thanks.

Jenson, check your PM's.
    Improving performance one hazardous material at a time.

Steve,

Please post your "tips" here for all to see.

I'd love to know the answers too
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Zippity

Steve Dee is very good at setting up cars and has helped me many times with good advice.He is a 45 year vet in this hobby and helps many people.As I have said many times before until I started racing at Keystone and learning from all the people there.My race program was the pits, place I raced at before had no knowledge on how to setup cars , they just sold you parts.But they are now gone after pushing people away from the hobby.Before Keystone I did recieve great help from the place I was drag racing at and still do, the owner taught me alot about motors and building a good drag car.I'm very lucky to have places like Keystone and Wheatfield, with out them I would have no success like in the past.
    Last edited by PoppaRat; 01-08-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Regardless of the above comments I too have a Cheetah 7 chassis that I want to set up to be competitive.

Any, and all tips will be very much appreciated
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Question lead ballast for F1/Indy Cheeta 7 chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDee
    Jenson, check your PM's.
    Thanks for your advice Steve. I've now got my F1 Cheeta 7 chassis set up as you suggested & am looking forward to trying it at my club, which reopens this week. One more question for you. Bear in mind the track i'll be racing on at the Nats over here is very flat. Do you find a need for lead on these cars? With my other cars whuch are all Champion TF chassis, I find i can run them all competitively with no lead. So, obviously I'd rather not if possible. I'll look forward to your reply.

Cheers,Jenson