+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rivergate Power Supply

Rivergate Power Supply

Does anyone have experience with a Rivergate RDC-90 90Amp 14 Volt Power Supply?
    Is it adjustable like the RDC-75 between 13.6 and 14.3 Volts?

Thanks

Hello,

I have one and have had no problems with it. It comes with a jumper plug that, when inserted, gives what they call the "quick charge" feature (~14.2 VDC Output). The output voltage is not variable, it is either ~13.6 or ~14.2 VDC. The only variable output power supply Rivergate has is the RDC-30 VO, Bulldog Variable Output 30 Amp.

See pictures below of the RDC-90:

From Rivergate's Website http://www.rivergatedist.com/

"This is one of the most powerful DC power supplies in the World. Suitable for any application that requires 90 amps @ 13.8 volts
    2nd to None if you need more power than this buy a welder.
    RF Grounding for Amateur Radio/CB operation.
    Modern Design and built Bulldog Tough!
    High Efficiency - 90 amps continuous - That's 1200+ watts!
    Regulated output {13.8 volts} and short circuit protected.
    MSRP: $499.00 You Pay: $405.00

Model RDC-90
    Input Voltage 90-135
    Input Frequency 40-70 HZ
    Output Wattage 1210 Watts
    Output Voltage DC 13.6-14.2
    Output Amperage 90
    Dimensions (Width X Height) 6.75 x 3.5
    Length 13"
    Weight 8 Lbs.
    Fan 2 Thermostatically controlled"

V/R,
    Don
    Now that's genuine frontier jibberish...Revran!

Have had zero problems with their stuff,nice guy too.He took the 90amp and made it into a 16v drag racing Supply for me too.

Frank S.

YUP, Eagle is/was selling them set up to 16 VDC for the dragstrip. The RDC series all work the same. The simple plug is low/hi and the trim pot sets the base. The same trim pot can be removed and replaced by a remote pot to have behind the counter voltage adjustment for parties.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

any more info on the trim pot? what range possibly for parties? Im thinking of going with the 90 amp version for the new track,will the trim pot come with it or will I have to puchace sepperatly? thanks! Hillbilly

Minimum voltage

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyYart
    any more info on the trim pot? what range possibly for parties? Im thinking of going with the 90 amp version for the new track,will the trim pot come with it or will I have to puchace sepperatly? thanks! Hillbilly
    The power adjustment Pot will only take the voltage down to the lowest point of the supply's minimum output, which in this case is not less then 12 volts

There are better ways to approach this. What is it you are trying to do?
    Hurricane Racing
    "The Winds of Change"

Running fast on the "Home of the Friday Night World Record Setting Track"

You're not Paranoid.... People are talking about you....

An Alternative to the Rivergate

We did a lot of looking around before buying a PS for the track we've built. During the search, we began to suspect that the Rivergate RDC-90, the Duracomm DPS-90, and the Iota DLS-90 are the same unit. Further digging confirmed that to be true. While searching for a good price, we found the Duracomm to be the most expensive, the Rivergate in the middle of the pack, and the Iota, with a two-year warranty, the least expensive at $299.97 plus actual shipping costs (to our house in IL, that was $16 and change). There is certainly a lot to be said for buying from someone you know and who understands your application; however, if your budget is a major driver of what you purchase and all else is equal, well, there is an alternative source for the same unit. The Iota is sold as a battery charger for solar power systems at thesolarbiz.com.

Jim

(p.s. - Paul K, if this post violates any rules about advertising etc., I apologize and understand if it gets deleted. No advertising or shilling intended - we just found the best deal and bought from these guys.)

When I was asking about trim pots ,It would be nice to be able to adjust the voltage down for parties and and beginners. What better ways are ther to approach this?

Thumbs up Power regulation

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyYart
    When I was asking about trim pots ,It would be nice to be able to adjust the voltage down for parties and and beginners. What better ways are ther to approach this?
    Depending on what power source you are using delegates the type of control circuit needed to supply a lower voltage and not sacrifice current.

If using a standard transformer, then it is simple to use a rheostat/variac to control the AC power going to the transformers primary. A good rheostat/variac can be bought for around 60 and up like the one i have included in this link http://www.electroniccity.com/shoppi....asp?prid=1147

with a 90 amp river-gate or more commonly known as a regulated switching power supply controlling the output with a rheostat wont work. because the output of theses power supplies rely on constant input power at a predetermined threshold they simply wont turn on if the input power drops. So you need to control the voltage at the output of the supply feeding the voltage through a separate device called a transistor more specifically a Darlington transistor of ample current to support the cars you intend to control. this is done simply by adding a Darlington control device known as a PWM (pulse width modulation) control to the Darlington's base, this will in turn raise or lower the voltage output at the Darlington feeding that lane of the track using a Potentiometer behind the counter. If you are eager to do your research these can be made with store bought parts from any good electronincs supply. there are many diagrams on PWM (pulse width modulation) you can apply. Now you have a counter controlled track, if you get crafty you can make it so one POT controls each lane or one for all lanes.

Not sure if any of this will be helpful or not, but it is a start. let me know if I can build you one.
    Hurricane Racing
    "The Winds of Change"

or simply add some diodes under the drivers panel to drop as much or little you like.................
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

Thumbs down simply minds don't think alike... thats why there are think tanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickB
    or simply add some diodes under the drivers panel to drop as much or little you like.................
    cause simple never works in the slot car world..

How much drop do you think you will get out of one diode, not to mention the amount of current that will have to pass, or the amount of heat. not so simple know is it???
    Hurricane Racing
    "The Winds of Change"

Crawley sells a rental unit (ULT-2000)that controlls voltage to each lane. It is not cheap but comes with controllers and a complete bolt on unit.
    Last edited by JIMSPOVE; 01-29-2010 at 04:49 AM.
    Skidmarks
    230 S. Averill
    Flint, Mi 48506

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneLarry
    Not sure if any of this will be helpful or not, but it is a start. let me know if I can build you one.
    Hi Larry,

I'm using a Rivergate Bulldog power supply for my rental track (8-lane, 100-ft, Hasse Nillson tri-oval). I might be interested in having you build me one for my rental track that controls all 8 lanes at once. Please pm me with the details if you have the time to build me one.

V/R,
    Don
    Now that's genuine frontier jibberish...Revran!

Control your track power check commercial classifieds under voltage regulator

I have the perfect soulition for partys and groups.
    Look in the commercial classifieds under voltage regulator
    I have a great unit for all and its only 199.99 plus shipping
    Every track that does partys and groups needs this!!!!
    Fast Eddie's World of Speed
    17 South 10th Street
    Richmond In 47374
    765-935-3287
    amerpack@aol.com

It works well. I have one and while I can't turn it down low enough to be able to punch a car all the way around the track because the track relays demand 7.5 volts to be powered up, crashes are MUCH gentler.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast