Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rivergate Power Supply

Don't dismiss diodes

I dont understand why diodes are dsmuissed so backhandedly. For the race that is unable (or unwilling) to afford complicated adjustable power supplies resistors (1 ohm/10W/ceramic) is a solition that has been mentioned several times. Diode has also been mentioned, but was dismissed by Hurricane Larry, who suggested a more complicated (and expensive) solution.

Fact is that a diode-rectiver that is able to handle 35A can be had for a few $$$'s. These rectifier diode are able to give voltage drops of appx 0,75V and 1,5V, and if 2 are put in series they can also generate 2,25V and 3V voltage drops. As they can handle more than 400A peak they are quite robust, and for heatsinking a small piece of sheet aluminum will do, allthough that is not nescessary with rental cars, that usually doesn't pull more than 1-2A.

Go for it if you are looking for a cheap solution.

Steen

We use Parma rental cars with deathstars, we remove the motors and sell them for retail then install the Parma HOME Motor 12V..... and slows the cars down significantly for the rentals....

Cheap and easy Fix!
    -----------------------
    Kenny Holton

ASR-IMS RACING

https://www.facebook.com/asrindoormotorsports.raceway

"Haters are always gonna hate!"

Back to the diode....I have installed a "gray post" on several tracks... four 3 amp diodes in a chain from the white to the gray post. Rentals then use the standard controller to hook up red and black clips, and hook the white up to the gray - automatic 3 volt drop with NO loss of braking. This is great for many beginners. The diode is also a current limiter, but more than adequate for falcons and most 30 gauge wire motors. The rental systems mentioned also use the diode as a current limiter. I tried the gray post as a modifier on the black line and while softening the brakes on a whisper jet is fine, it is disasterous for falcons. These can be put in the controller handle, but then you must monitor who gets which controller.

I tried those ceramic resistors in whisperjets in 1995...no current limit and the heat buildup was noticable on the cars - and to the customer. Adding the diode under the track is not noticed, but I also bend them so that they air cool well and do not shorten the rod in order to maximize the cooling area.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Exactly

what the man said!!
    No reason to make it more difficult than nescessary!

Steen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12