Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parma Whisper Jet Drive Belt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Parma Whisper Jet Drive Belt

I would like to know what size the drive belt is for a Parma whisper jet in diam and cross section please.

Isn't there one sitting behind the counter at the WSCC Raceway?
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Ya, but

it's missing a belt.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Last time I needed one, I had to e-mail Parma. I'm sure you could replace it, with an appropriately sized o-ring. What size o-ring, I'm not sure of.
    Last edited by markdshark; 01-27-2010 at 10:11 PM.

If nothing else, Parma should be able to tell you the o-ring size.

if you have a menards or farm and fleet nearby you can get o-rings there.i have the size at the shop.you can call me tommorrow at 815-641-8229 and i will get you the size.

Gill is in New Zealand - that's kinda why he posted the question here.

If you could measure the O-Ring and post the dimensions here, I'm sure he'd really appreciate it.

I'm sure they sell O-Rings in New Zealand (just not Parma ones).

PK
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Mid-America Raceway has a bagful- perhaps Roger will sell some to you?
    ‎‎"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs 1955-2011

Go to LOWES take the car & find the appropiate size o- ring from the vast selection they have & buy a bunch of -em !

Gill,

I have just been down to the Raceway but unfortunately, the chassis that Allan has behind the counter is sans a belt

Hitting Below the Belt...

OMG

If I was Gill... I think I might be ready to shoot myself...

(10 replies so far... and still no answer to the simple question...)

Does anybody here get it? (besides MentalKase?)

If he actually HAD a belt... he could have measured it himself!

If he wanted to order a $.05 belt from the USA, I'm sure he could have clicked on a banner, placed an order, and paid $$$$ for Express Mail International shipping a little $.05 rubber belt all the way to New Zealand.

So... I assume that Gill figured... "I know, I'll just post a query on OWH Slot Car Talk. Surely there must be SOMEBODY who could simply measure a belt, and post the dimensions here on OWH... so that I might take a leasurely stroll down to my friendly neighborhood hardware store, and purchase a $.05 (in the equivalent NZ currency, of course) rubber O-Ring of the proper dimension, and repair the beltless Whisper-Jet."

He might even be so cautious as to invest in buying a spare or two.

And then... pray tell... he might even add a bulk bag of Parma Whisper-Jet Belts, to his next order placed for slot car merchandise from his favorite slot car product supplier.

Heavy Duty Rental Belts - 6 Pcs - #544 - USD$ 10.99

Now... in case nobody here has a Whisper-Jet belt laying around (or is willing to admit it), at least he could take my buddy Craig's (flyracing) suggestion, and waltz into the hardware store with his beltless toy and convince the proprietor into indulging him in a session of test fitting O-Rings.

THANK HEAVEN that an online forum like OWH Slot Car Talk can be here to provide such a quick and simple answer for such a trivial slot car question. I suppose my one consolation, is the knowledge that perhaps had the same query been posted on one of the other forums or blogs... that there may be 39 replies (and still no answer) by now.

Perhaps... us OWH Slot Car Talk aficionados are just much too refined in their slot car expertise to be bothered with maintaining an inventory of such archaic spares as a Whisper-Jet Belt. LOL
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 01-28-2010 at 01:13 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity
    Gill,

I have just been down to the Raceway but unfortunately, the chassis that Allan has behind the counter is sans a belt

Zippity:

Didn't you see my post right after yours? I told you there was no belt!!!

Rob at Pacific/Edgewood has a pile of those, I'm sure Uncle Fester could measure one for you. Just send Tequila to his place (Silver Anajo, please).

Yuk Yuk Yuk
    Last edited by MentalKase; 01-28-2010 at 01:14 AM.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Right on

Paul, you have said it all.
    thank you.

Guy,

Yeah, I saw your funny

But as I am here and you are not, I chose to ignore it

They did change over the years when the motor did. Parma may have the same size in their bags, though. The W-Js with the 36D, 16D are similar. Many solder in Falcons. The clear belts that Parma sells are Eurothane and will last 10-1 over a neoprene o-ring. So paying a dollar a piece for the Parma is cost effective if you cannot get a bag of 100 o-rings at the industrial supply house for a better price.

1)measure the groove width: 1/16" american; 1.5 mm+/-
    2)use a string and make a ring around the pulleys. Flaten it out and measure it. THIS measurment is NOT the belt diameter. You need a stretch factor. In larger drive belts, this is usually a 10% PLUS factor - 20% may work, but be so tight as to make a low power motor overheat. Sometimes you have to experiment due to oiling and slippage. Too tight and they break quickly.

3) Make a belt tool for installing them without taking off the body: Use (smaller than) 0.062" piano wire about 6 -8 inches. Make a finger loop at one end to fit your thumb. At the other end make tight "S" with your needle nose pliers. The "S" tip is where you hook the belt inside the car in order to fit the belt to the motor pulley after the belt is positioned on the wheel pulley.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 01-28-2010 at 11:31 AM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast