+ Reply to Thread

Thread: armature timing

armature timing

hi paul
    sorry for my ignorance but i have read hundreds of the posts in here over the past week or so and i am always reading about armature timing.
    as i am still new to slot cars and looking at my motors and triying to work out how you can adjust armature timing on what looks like a 1 piece part.
    here are my questions
    1. what is involved in changing armature timing?
    2. is it somethig that some one with a pretty high mechanical knowledge but not so much with electrical could do?
    3. how can i tell what timing is in my current motors.

and on a different subject i have a TF drag car with a motor thats has G20 sticker on the arm.
    is this a group20 motor and if so how good are they.

thanks for answering a couple of my other post you knowledge has been invaluable so far with looking at set ups on my tech block but have had track time yet but will let you know how they went (or didnt).

Hi wittyracin,

I also race in Australia.

The way you adjust armature timing is by holding the stacks and turning the comm clockwise (I think) when looking down from the top. You will most likely have to do this with a pair of pliers with a rag or something rapped around them to stop damaging the comm. I don't know what Paul thinks about it but I wouldn't recommend doing this to any armature other than a Parma chinese 16D. With all the different armature timings you can buy in most cases it isn't neccessary. Depending on what kind of motor it is you will find that sometimes the endbell is adjustable (Parma rotor and SpeedFX) or you can buy an endbell with a different hole patten which can advance the timing. This is most common in alumnium endbells for I-15, G27 and G7 but is also used for plastic endbells in G12.

The motor in your Top Fuel drag car would be a Group 20. I don't know a lot about drag cars but I know this is a pretty common motor for them. It is no longer used in circuit racing but in comparison it would be a bit slower than a Group 12 motor.

Mikey.
    Current I15, G27 and G7 world champion............ I wish

motors

Hi witty,

on some motors you can change he timing by rotating the endbell. Much simpler than changing the timing on an arm and is reverseable. If you change the timing on an arm most likely you will damage it especially when you are new to slots.

ask mudd

michael

Ask Mudd you make this sound bad !!
    Team Methane Weekend track lacky .

spoke to Mudd today and he showed me an adjustable endbell.
    fast mick i am assuming this is mick i met the other week end at browns plains slots

There are tools available to check the timing of an armature. I wouldn't recommend trying to chage it on the arm itself, as it would probably get a broken wire in the process. A T/F dragster uses a Grp 7 motor. Group 20 motors are much faster than Grp 12's.
    You can't polish a turd, but you can sprinkle some glitter on it!

Quote Originally Posted by FC363 View Post
    There are tools available to check the timing of an armature. I wouldn't recommend trying to chage it on the arm itself, as it would probably get a broken wire in the process. A T/F dragster uses a Grp 7 motor. Group 20 motors are much faster than Grp 12's.
    I think Mikey was reffering to 12's being quicker in a circuit car not on the strip!! And we have a few rail "T/F" classes here from s16d to opens.
    Team Methane Weekend track lacky .

+ Reply to Thread