Thread: Inline fuses and/or filters on controllers.

Inline fuses and/or filters on controllers.

First of all, I admit to being ignorant, so please excuse me if I ask dumb questions, but if we didn't try to think outside the box, there would be no angle winders, right? First dumb question: I plan to add an inline fuse to my controller track hook up wires as added insurance for accidental shorts. And surge protector. Do I only need one fuse? If so, which color wire (red, black or white)? Will a 10 amp 12 volt automotive type inline fuse be OK? It's probably overkill, but would it hurt to put a fuse on each hook up wire near the alligator clip? Second dumb question: My local track's power supply is a transformer rather than battery. Is there a simple, cheap electronic device I can add to one or more controller hook up wires in order to filter the current so that it is more like battery power (cleaner) and my motors will run cooler? Thanks!
    Last edited by stevphens; 02-01-2010 at 11:16 AM.
    rick

The amount of circuit protection you need for the controller depends on what kind of controller you have (electronic vs resistor) and if you have a brake pot for adjustable brakes.

If you have a plain resistor controller w/o a brake pot you really don't need a fuse to protect the controller. The tracks I've run on either would have their power supplies brought to their knees by the current surge caused by a short or have their own breakers at the driver's panel pop. However, if you don't want to rely on whatever fusing protects the track, you can add a 20A automotive fuse to your WHITE line and a 5-10A automotive fuse to your RED line.

If your controller is a resistor type with a brake pot, a 5 to 10amp fuse in the brake (RED) line will help, but won't protect the pot completely. The likely hood that the fuse will blow before the pot cooks is determined by where the pot is set and the type of pot - standard vs pro pot.

If you have an electronic controller, I'd strongly suggest that you contact the manufacturer to get the specifics of what is needed for your model before making any changes. For example, all of the protection circuitry needed to protect the brake and throttle transistors and MOSFETs is already built into the JayGee Racing Linear 200 controllers.

As far as the power supply is concerned...just because the track uses a power supply instead of a battery, it doesn't mean that you have dirty power. Many tracks use high quality power supplies instead of batteries.

- Jeff
    Last edited by JayGee; 02-01-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    JayGee Racing Controllers - 24 Bands of Bliss
    www.jaygeeracing.com

There are degrees of protection and clean power. Most tracks use UL approved RV industry transformers that are safe and reasonabbly clean for electric motors, A high output battery charger is NOT a clean power supply.

You can also size the white line fuse to what you run. 10 amp for group 12 and smaller for less. most brake pots will run just fine with a 2 amp fuse or circuit breaker.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center