Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corner Marshall Etiquette

Corner Marshall Etiquette

Looking for experienced corner marshall etiquette ?

Take into consideration we run 1/32 scale hardbody cars on a smaller layout 8' x 16'

Things such as when a driver on the inside takes the guy out to the outside of him, you put the taken out driver back on first.

How about when a car is crashed and another comes along and piles into him? I assume you would put the second one on first? then again he did just pile into the crashed guy, suppose it depends on the situation

Is it ok to slow down and slowly drive through a crashed car to move it out of your way? slow down to limit damage and keep your car from deslotting.

How about when the corner marshall puts a car back on the wrong lane?

What do you do in a situation when a car crashes and slides through the lap counter without out registering in his lane?

Can guys put there own car back on?

I can't answer all your questions, BUT.......

In a perfect world, yes, you'd put the "innocent" cars on first and the car that came off and took them out on last. But things happen so fast that you do what you can as fast as you can. Sometimes you get the innocent bystander car on first, sometimes you don't. Don't make a federal case out of it if things don't work out perfectly. Ya gotta have faith that the odds will even out over the long run and you'll get as much good luck as bad. Hopefully.

Sure, it's OK to TRY and push a deslotted car out of the way. But I've had my car also get deslotted at least half the time when I've tried that.

What IF a turn marshal puts you on the wrong lane? Chances are it will result in another deslot(hopefully not a wall shot) and hopefully you get put on the correct lane then.

If your car crashes and slides through the lap counter without getting the lap counted, hopefully the race director will take appropriate action which can be either he adds a lap after the heat is over or he does a "track call" and sets your car on the track behind the lap counter.

Of COURSE you can put your own car on... IF it comes off close enough to you to do so.

The bottom line is that turn marshals are there to help. Things can get hectic in the heat of battle, so don't berate the turn marshal if things don't go well for you; I'd bet he's trying his best. Yelling at turn marshals only makes them more nervous and alienates them from wanting to help. Just say "Thanks" when he puts you back on and get back to business.

Invariably it is not the marshal that causes the deslot in the first place - it is the racer

Be nice to the marshals and don't abuse them - say "thank you" - a little kindness goes a long way.

What goes round comes round
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

It's a thankless and hectic job for sure.

I would think while I was marshaling that these same people are going to be doing this for me in an hour or so.

You ever stop for a wreck...to wait for the marshal to do his or her thing and they pick YOUR car up...fumble it and then put it back in the wrong lane?? It's happened to me and I have it on tape.

What do you do then? You - a) Panic and b) scream of course, but then you have the sense to apologize.

That same tape has GuGu desperately trying to fix my braids (which were cork-screwed and poking out the front probably) for what seemed like an hour. I yelled at him: "Jesus, Man...there's only two G_d damned braids on it! What are you doing?!?" :O

In reality the whole thing only took about 7 or 8 seconds. He was really trying hard to help me. I profusely apologized and we had a laugh about it.
    "Bring your ballistic $hit and your asbestos shorts, nobody gets out alive." Paul Kovich

We,ve had this talk many times on here, and in some small way I think these little talkes have helped from the marshals point of view as well as from the racers point of view. Screaming and swearing at the marshals will get you know where. You know? I was able to sneek out and run up to Need For Speed raceway last Sat afternoon. Ralph and Joe were running a 2hr enduro. I dont think I,ve ever seen a better bunch of guys racing. Sure,, cars were banging around everywhere, but I never heard anyone yelling at the marshals not once !! And they were having a ball !! Thats the way it should be !! It was a pleasure to watch all these racers just plain having fun and racing there butts off. No walking on egg shells !! Thats fun !!

Vic
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

I think that in practice, it's easier:

unless it's really obvious what happened, the marshal should just put the cars back on as fast as he/she can without attention to who did what.

AND I think that it's true that marshals sometimes inadvertently cause riders, and I think that is yet another reason why riders and cars off under bridges should be track calls, tho it's often too late even if the race director is fast.

Lastly, I learned from Lou Pirro that it never costs me anything to thank the marshal or the race director for marshaling my car or saving it with a timely track call.

Greg

And, according to "Miss Manners", when marshalling a car, alway pick it up with your pinky extended!

But seriously, treat the marshalls as you wish to be treated! You'll find out that will be returned.

Now that's the first time

that I've ever been called Miss Manners! :-)

All that I can say is that I learned it from Lou.

Mary Beth, help!!

Greg

Todd17

The fact you asked says you want to be considerate, so please view my responses as recognizing that (in the event they don't sound so).

I agree with everyone here , particularly Zippity. It's driver error in the first place that caused the deslot. It's a privilege to have Marshalls. (Anyone that has done Crash and Dash will agree I think, particularly if you are over 50 or so).

A deslot caused by nerfing/bumping is driver conduct and should be under "house rules" and dealt with that way. In the event a "squeaky" driver were put on 1st and caused you to lose a place (hopefully not to that individual) sometimes that happens. It's like the cards being dealt. Keep your composure I'm sure that will buy you respect from all the Marshalls. It may even get you preferential treatment downstream someday..

Remember we are here to have fun.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

If your car is off the track, 90% of the time it is your own fault. If you got nerfed it's because you wouldn't let him by "your fault". If you plow into an accident and you fall off it's "your fault". Don't blame the marshall for your mistakes use your head and being deslotted will be at a minimum. Yes you can marshall your own car and also another driver if possible while racing and the usra made riders a track call but it has to happen quickly. Missing the lap counter should still count for a lap but that is up to the race director.
    Race smart and you'll get more laps than depending on marshalls to fix your mistake.
    Skidmarks
    230 S. Averill
    Flint, Mi 48506

From the NSCSRA Guidelines and rules for 2010:

TURN MARSHALING

All driver/participants will turn marshal. Exceptions to the turn marshalling will take into consideration physical handicaps. These exceptions on a race or series basis.

How to Marshal fairly:
    Simply safely and quickly put the car in the proper lane. Should be simple enough right? Well in most instances it is but sometimes it gets a little intense out there with more than two cars off in one corner. Marshal should do their best to try and put the car that caused the crash on last. However that is not always possible. Marshals should always pick car up completely off the track and then put down in the proper lane as quickly and safely as possible. Experienced marshals can slide the car over to the lane without picking the car up provided they do not interfere with another car.

Marshals should be aware of other cars on the track and try to avoid knocking off a car near the car they are returning to their proper slot. Race Director at their discretion can call track for multiple (3 or more cars de-slotted) crashes in the same corner. Ideally it would be expected but not probable that the turn marshal would get help from other turn marshals in that situation. But that does not always happen so NSCSRA’s policy is for the race Director to stop the power until such time all cars are back on the track. The reason for that is safety of the turn marshal and spectators. This is optional and not required by local raceways.

Riders are a track call. Since inception in 1989, NSCSRA has made a rider a track call. This was due to many reasons. NSCSRA congratulates the USRA and other federations for acknowledging this and making a rider a track call. Missed laps are verified by the lap counter marshal and the Race Director and adjusted as needed. Race Director decision is final and not subject to appeal.

Drivers are NOT to yell anything derogatory at the turn marshal including their lane color, put me on, or speak to turn marshals except to say “Thank You” or a similar accolade. Turn marshals are there for your benefit to assist you when YOU de-slot. See “Casey Rule”. NSCSRA enforces this closely and does not tolerate turn marshal abuse in any way. See penalties and suspensions. Turn marshals need to watch the race and their corner. So please do not distract them with idle chit chat. Race Director can assign the corners to the drivers if need arises. This is especially helpful in NON PRO or Kids under 12 racing events. By the time someone becomes a PRO they should have this slot car basic down. ALL racers in any event will turn marshal except those granted an exception due to physical handicaps as noted previously. IF there happens to be more turn marshals than needed for a heat then marshals can rotate and take turns marshaling.

The famous “CASEY RULE”:

“All de-slots are the drivers fault. Whether you come out of the slot on your own, the track causes you to come out, the turn marshal knocks you off, the driver next to you nerfs you off , a driver runs into your car and knocks you off or you run into a parked or de-slotted car. Or even if an act of God causes you to come out of the slot. It is YOUR fault if you came off.”

Nice , thanks for all the replys.

Just wonder why NSCSRA, doesn't allow letting corner marshal know what color you go back on? I like the idea of letting them know, seems to help here alot.

Todd
    As long as you have your lane sticker on, it should not be needed. Although I grant you, sometimes newer or rooky marshals dont think to look at the sticker.

Vic
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

Quote Originally Posted by Todd17
    Just wonder why NSCSRA, doesn't allow letting corner marshal know what color you go back on? I like the idea of letting them know, seems to help here a lot.
    Sometimes, but some people abuse the system too. Believe it or not, the corner marshal know what they're doing. They're not perfect, but who is?
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

Sticker PLACEMENT is importent. How often have you seen a car that has the sticker under your hand when you pick it up. As a turn marshall,you usually try to see the car and clear the track first - BEFORE you look to see where it belongs - so put the sticker ON THE NOSE of the car.

On homeset cars, I have even tried PDL's method of puting the sticker on the bottom of the turtles...

Not Sure, but I think the "Don't YELL, Don't Curse" rule is part of the driver marshall relationship. I recall the 'NO talking' rule.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 02-03-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast