Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing arms questions

The exacto knife method worked until Koford changed the comm design. The slot is now smaller on X12 arms. I haven't found the right tool yet to clear out the narrower slot. When I am done cutting a comm, the edge is kind of ragged looking. What do I do? Am I doing somthing wrong? I am resisting the pen method that I used to do. I do use a blast of compressed air after squirting naptha on the freshly cut comm.
    Tim Zimmerman, former slotcar racer

I missed Brad's suggestion on the first page of this thread to use lexan or paper. He makes a good point about altering the edges with less than surgical skills with a knife.
    Tim Zimmerman, former slotcar racer

The etra fiddle

Tim,

PK arms have had a narrower slot for years. I keep a second knife with the edge honed appropriately thinner.

Surgical skills? Hardly... I have a nephew who does ER surgery: he can tie a suture on a small artery, with ONE hand, gloved, wet and slippery. They drill that skill, and others, into them for years in med school. Then they test for the skills. The ones that fail become GPs. Some, not my nephew, can do that sort of thing under a microscope. Now THATS surgical skill.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Thanks for all the tips guys,
    Monty, I do remember us talking about this in a different thred, because I remember you telling me not to use a ball point pen on the coms. As far as my blueprinting skills? Im still in the early stages. But the one thing I have learned is that it takes time to do it right. The first few I did I must have had them together and apart 10 different times. What I was doing was getting to far ahead of myself. I just needed to learn where to begin, and where to end.
    I will tell you this though, motor building has become my passion and I hope to get better with time. I also want to thank you Monty, and everyone else who have helped me and continue to help me. Building a motor the right way is not easy without knowing all the do's and donts.

Vic
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

On a given armature, inductance readings will show a bad pole where the resistance readings will not.
    Peter N. Varlan

I am a dumb with eletronics does a Agilent 34401A Digit Multimeter will read the Armatures ? it is a big unit I have avaliable around but I could not make it work yet I know where the power on / off button is so far .........
    Rodrigo Mastrochirico

I have always used the exacto knife method. One has to use the proper technique so they don't raise the edge of the commutator segment. I have a specially modified exacto blade just for comm groove cleaning.
    SlotCar Racing!
    The World's Most Affordable MotorSport!
    http://slotcarbox.no-ip.com/
    USRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by NR-Racing
    I am a dumb with eletronics does a Agilent 34401A Digit Multimeter will read the Armatures ? it is a big unit I have avaliable around but I could not make it work yet I know where the power on / off button is so far .........
    We have those DMM's in one of my circuit labs at school, I don't think it will do inductance, just resistance.
    Chase Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Chasegtp1590
    We have those DMM's in one of my circuit labs at school, I don't think it will do inductance, just resistance.
    No, it won't.
    Peter N. Varlan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12