Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motors running backwards ??

Motors running backwards ??

Monty,
    I just noticed that the last couple of builds I did are running backwards. I cant seem to figure out what is wrong. I always put the south magnet on the front/axil side of the can. Is it possable my zapper is set up backwards? The instructions say to have the south/white magnet on top, and I always do. Now Im second guessing myself. Any thoughts??
    Keep your finger on the trigger ,and your eye on the slot

Assuming that you are using advanced timed armatures, are you reading the magnets as being "South" before or after the zapping?

Do you always place the can into your zapper with the South magnet at the bottom of the well with the can bearing to the right?

Maybe you are zapping them arse about face
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Oops - sorry, this is Monty's thread
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Assuming that you are using advanced timed armatures, are you reading the magnets as being "South" before or after the zapping?

Do you always place the can into your zapper with the South magnet at the bottom of the well with the can bearing to the right?

Maybe you are zapping them arse about face
    Ron,
    Maybe your on to something. I do always put the south/neg magnet on top, but I didnt no that it made a difference which way the can was facing. Does that make a difference?
    Vic

Hemi wound arms
    When you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humor have an increased sense of self-importance...
    Nick D

MORNING-WOOD MOTORSPORTS
    We are stiff competition!

Vic,

In my zapper the negative magnet goes on top. You don't have one and I don't know about the other brands. Your problem is putting the negative magnet in front. The accepted standard is that it goes in back, up against the rear axle. Your experience will be reversed if you use an RJR or Viper arm, as they were connected 'hemi' style.

Even if you zap the motor backwards, it doesn't make it run backwards, as the timing is what it is. You just also need to hook the leadwire up in reverse.

And no, as long as the correct side is facing up or down in the well, east-west or left-right makes no difference at all, in any air core zapper.
    Last edited by Monty@B.O.W.; 03-22-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: add to answer
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Vic, be more specific about what you're calling the "front/axil side of the can"
    When you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humor have an increased sense of self-importance...
    Nick D

MORNING-WOOD MOTORSPORTS
    We are stiff competition!

Relying on the white spot on the magnet being the side of the can that goes closest to the axle will not guarantee correct placement either

Quote Originally Posted by Firerescue127 View Post
    Vic, be more specific about what you're calling the "front/axil side of the can"
    Nick+Monty,
    Maybe I should have said back? I always put the neg magnet on the axil side of the can, looking at it as if the motor were mounted in a chassis.

Monty,
    The zapper that I have is a mag blaster made by Rick at R-Geo. The instructions say to have the neg/south magnet facing up. As far as I know, most zappers are set up this way. I just didnt know if it made a difference if the can itself with magnets installed was facing north or south once in the zapper. I think you just answered that question for me. I do understand that some RJR arms are hemi wound, but one of the motors thats running backwards is just a reg Parma S-16 D. So im stumped.
    Vic

Vic,

Now it becomes clear: you are loading the zapper upside-down! 'Negative facing up' means negative is on the bottom, therefore the concave (armature side) surface is FACING UP. 'Most' zappers are not set up that way... in my zapper, positive is on the bottom, meaning the concave positive surface is facing up. I knew you have the Magblaster (I read that other blog, I just WON'T post there), just haven't ever held one in my hands or read its instruction sheet.

Oh, and it isn't just some RJR arms being hemi wound, they ALL were. Koford and BOW arms are never hemi wound, its ProSlot that will make a hemi arm on request, but it will be clearly packaged as such. I'm not certain why, but it probably has something to do with the old myth in the drag racing community that hemi arms are faster. Its just that, a myth - but P/S offers the option.

Just for the record, even the term 'hemi wound' is a misnomer. Such armatures are wound just like any other, but they do hook up to the commutator differently.
    Last edited by Monty@B.O.W.; 03-22-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monty@B.O.W. View Post
    Vic,

Now it becomes clear: you are loading the zapper upside-down! 'Negative facing up' means negative is on the bottom, therefore the concave (armature side) surface is FACING UP. 'Most' zappers are not set up that way... in my zapper, positive is on the bottom, meaning the concave positive surface is facing up. I knew you have the Magblaster (I read that other blog, I just WON'T post there), just haven't ever held one in my hands or read its instruction sheet.

Oh, and it isn't just some RJR arms being hemi wound, they ALL were. Koford and BOW arms are never hemi wound, its ProSlot that will make a hemi arm on request, but it will be clearly packaged as such. I'm not certain why, but it probably has something to do with the old myth in the drag racing community that hemi arms are faster. Its just that, a myth - but P/S offers the option.

Just for the record, even the term 'hemi wound' is a misnomer. Such armatures are wound just like any other, but they do hook up to the commutator differently.
    Thank you Monty,
    So, just so i understand you correctly, In my case the neg magnet would be on the bottom of the can when installed into the zapper? So the concave of the neg mag is facing upward?
    Well, I guess that would explain my problems. It can be very confusing !!! Also Monty, please dont think that I wouldnt have bought a BOW zapper from you. Its just that Rick made me a package deal that I couldnt pass up. Heck, I owe you alot Monty, You,ve taught me everything I know, As im sure you know, money is tight for me, and Rick worked a deal out with me where I could pay monthly payments to him untill we were square. Just so you dont get offended.

Vic

Vic,

My bet is that you placed the can (complete with magnets) into your zapper "upside down" and have inadvertently reveresed the polarity of the magnets. That is what I was trying to say in my eariler post.

Just because you have one magnet marked "white" doesn't necessarily mean that it is the South magnet.

Always use the compass before you zap and AGAIN before you reassemble the motor.

Been there - done that!
    Last edited by Zippity; 03-22-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added more comment
    Zippity

Vic, Just get your Wrightway Meter Gauss probe and find out which mag is positive and which is negative........I you have a Parma motor running backwards with normal leadwire placement you have a Positive Mag in the Back.........
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Found the problem !!
    My instructions for my zapper were backwards. They said to have the south/neg magnet on top, but it goes on the bottom. The pos/north magnet goes on top. Jennie got me a compass today and thats a huge help. I was able to fix the parma motor that was running backwards by rezapping the mags to restore the proper polarity. I took a set of magnets and zapped them the way the instructions said, and the neg became the pos and the pos became the neg. Go figure !! The other motor that was running backwards is an RJR arm, so that one I can understand now.
    So hopefully I,ll be all set now.

Vic

Glad everything worked out for you in the end - so to speak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast