Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunder rubber tires???

Thunder rubber tires???

I hear and see a lot of race reports where cars are running Thunder Rubber tires. Was wondering who makes them and where can you buy some, either a distributor or race track. Thanks for any info, Rick.

Bill Skinner of Stupid Fast Products makes Thunder Rubber tires. If you contact Doug at Port Jeff Raceway, they can fill you in on all the details of Thunder Rubber.

Port Jefferson Raceway
    1075 Portion Road, Suite 20
    Farmingville, NY 11738
    (631) 696-7721

doug@portjeffraceway.com
    Owl Chump

I do believe "Thunder Rubber" is also a nickname for Alpha Wonder Medium Race tires.
    Florida Slotter, aka Marty Stanley,
    A "Double 60's" Slot Racer
    Killer X Raceways Team Racer

Quote Originally Posted by fl_slotter View Post
    I do believe "Thunder Rubber" is also a nickname for Alpha Wonder Medium Race tires.
    Please show me where it states that "Thunder Rubber" is the nickname for Alpha medium wonder rubber. Here is the links to the Alpha online website listing all their wonder rubber tires...

http://www.alphaslotracing.com/store...f5116cf2dce616

http://www.alphaslotracing.com/catalog05Tires.html

Pictured below is the Thunder Rubber tires that have been winning races around the world (mainly wing cars but they do produce scale tires) produced by Stupid Fast Racing Tires...

Owl Chump

Quote Originally Posted by fl_slotter View Post
    "Thunder Rubber", as Owl stated in his post above, is the name of the tires sold by Bill Skinner of Stupid Fast.

Alpha makes and sells "Wonder Rubber" as their trade name of tires.

Two different products by 2 different manufacturers.
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 04-10-2010 at 11:20 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Owl Chump,

Don't get your knickers in a knot! I said it was a 'nickname' used by racers, not the manufacturer!

As you should be aware, racers call lots of things by 'nicknames' and not the same name that is used by the manufacturer. Why, I have no idea. I was simply trying to provide some information - ain't that what OWH is all about?

As an example, I know folks that refer to the glue you use to mount donuts - I call it 3M Weatherstripping glue, they call it "Gorilla Snot".

I did state it is a nickname that is used by racers for those Alpha made tires.

At a recent race I was handed a set of "Thunder Rubber" by one of the raers. It was a set of Alpha Wonder Medium rubber tires. Several of the racers there also called them "Thunder Rubber".

All I stated was that "Thunder Rubber" is a nickname - call it 'slang' - that one of the racers was using. I'm just reporting what I was told by a racer and sharing his opinion as a messenger. Dont' shoot the messenger.
    Last edited by fl_slotter; 04-11-2010 at 06:05 AM.
    Florida Slotter, aka Marty Stanley,
    A "Double 60's" Slot Racer
    Killer X Raceways Team Racer

Port Jeff runs a recap service where they will mount new Thunder Rubber on any hubs you provide. More then likely it was Thunder Rubber mounted on Alpha Hubs or hubs that looked like Alphas. Thunder Rubber does refer to a specific brand of tire made by Bill Skinner and isn't a generic nickname. In fact referring to Alphas as Thunder Rubber does both a disservice because each has its application and it simply confuses the issue.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

fl_slotter.

The internet is an unforgiving place and when you post a statement most people reading will take it as being a fact whether it is or not. I posted a fact and you were correcting me that it was a nick name "in your area" for a completely different product. Hence, what happens when people take your statement around the world for a fact and see races being won with "Thunder Rubber" and upon your statement they run out and buy Alpha tires? Are you doing those people a service by confusing the issue and buying the incorrect brand of tires?

My correction of your statement was to provide information for you and all out there on the forum (as others have also provided) that Thunder Rubber and Alpha are two completely different companies. Now you know that Alpha and Thunder are two different company's that both produce slotcar tires.

Also I am well aware of the nick name for the 3M produce being called gorilla snot (as I've been using the stuff when it first came out many years ago) but it is not another company name as is Thunder Rubber is to Alpha Tires within the same industry.

As Hesketh, mentioned Thunder tires will recap tires and you were most likely handed recapped Alpha rims. Also mentioned by Hesketh, you do both Paul Pfeiffer (Alpha) and Bill Skinner (Thunder) a disservice when you confuse people that they are one in the same.
    Last edited by Owl Chump; 04-11-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Owl Chump

If you guys want me to get you (carry in store) Thunder Rubber just let me know. They're about 19.95 per pair. Scott at PCH scott@e-slotcar.com

Roger Schmitt

MidAmerica Slot Car Raceway LLC
    109 1/2 West Monroe st.
    Bloomington, IL 61701

630-484-8574

Mid America Raceway Naperville
    1223 E Ogden ave
    Suite 139
    Naperville, Il 60563

Visit here for more info on "Thunder Rubber"

http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...t-Jeff-Raceway

There is a misconception out there that Thunder Rubber and Alpha Medium Wonder rubber is the same, its not. I think that is where the confusion is.

-Richie

Quote Originally Posted by rca90gsx View Post
    There is a misconception out there that Thunder Rubber and Alpha Medium Wonder rubber is the same, its not. I think that is where the confusion is.

-Richie

---------- Paul Pfeiffer ---------------------- Bill Skinner ------------
    ------------ Alpha --------------------------- Stupid Fast ------------
    --------- Wonder Rubber ---------------- Thunder Rubber --------

There is also a misconception out there that Bill Skinner of Stupid Fast & Thunder Rubber fame and Paul Pfeiffer of Alpha & Wonder Rubber fame are actually the same person, but in actuality, they are not. Perhaps that is where the confusion is from.

PK
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 04-15-2010 at 02:26 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Twins ???

I still have trouble telling the two of them apart. There is no wonder in our Thunder.
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

Isn't Thunder Rubber treated Wonder Rubber? It could be called Thunder Wonder Rubber.....say that 3 times quickly!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast