Thread: Possible FT36D Built Motors

Possible FT36D Built Motors

Monty would you be interested in building some bulletproof FT36D motors . I was directed to you as someone with the skills to do this. Based on what I have seen from the vintage crowd there is market for this type of motor.

That's crazy & expensive too. The guys at SCR explored this idea with Monty & the arms would have cost 40+ dollars. That was five years ago; who know what it would cost today. Better think it over.
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

Gee whiz, Russ...

He didn't say fast, he said bulletproof. While I did build the fastest 36d's ever for the BP hardbody races of a few years ago, I also built the 'tuned stock' version: tied, epoxied, and balanced the stock arms, and added C can hardware to the endbells, as well as can screws. They were like freight trains, would run forever. I think I charged about $30, would want a bit more today.

The limiting factor is the magnets. No ARCOs, no rewind!

Those were brave souls that wandered past the bank during the modified race. Those 250 gram cars were almost uncontrolably fast, and the hardshells shattered spectacularly when you launched. Good ole' days...
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

My apologizes, Monty. I couldn't remember how much it was, but it was the beginning of the end of VMRA. The 36D class became 36D Unlimited with the introduction of the rewinds. It was never the same after that. This was not of your doing, rather from within the membership. Too bad, we had a good thing going.
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

Cox 36D Nascar Motors

Mornin
    Do you guy's recall the guage of the wire and number of winds on the
    Cox 36D Nascar or Super Nascar motors, also which magnet's were
    used?. Thanks CG

Bump. I'd love to know this myself if you please. Is there a standard 36D wind and if so.....

The 36d seems to have been wound with approximately 80 turns of a wire resembling 30 gage. Frankly, I've never counted, since I use diagonal cutters to undo them if salvaging a blannk. If it was going to be one of the tuned stockers, I left the wire alone, of course.

I want to be perfectly clear here, I'll work on them, but I do NOT stock or deal in the parts. The ARCO magnets are now very hard to find in any case.

The magnets in the Cox motor were not substantially different than any other Mabuchi. The can and endbell were cosmetically different from the various painted can motors (K&B Bobcat, Revell SP90, Classic, Champion 501, etc.) but no different in performance. The Champion 507 was a factory hop-up, looked like about 60 of 28 and crude static balancing with a wide grindstone. It was fitted with the ARCO mags, so you could get away with the hotter windings, especially if you sleeved the springposts.

It should be noted that although they were very powerful, 36d motors were only competitive if their use was mandated, and that remains the case today. Use on a dragster may be more practical.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Monty
    Thanks for the Cox Info, we used them in a hardbody class and they were
    very reliable motors as were the others. CG

Monty
    You were pretty darn close for pulling a # out of the air.

Here's some extracted copy from an ebay ad I stumbled across for a 36D arm -

....Classic part #3372. The packaging that this item was attached to reads: Classic Competition Car Parts - 6 Volt Armature For CM 360 And Similar Motors (110 Turns Of #30 Wire)......

Perhaps when the "manuf." claimed a "12 volt" arm when the # of turns were reduced.

In another ad an old Monogram X220 arm (16D not 13d right?) was wound with 90 turns of 30 wire.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

3volt arms from the day were 70 turns of 28 .
    amp sucking slot whore