+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gearing for new jk hawk motor

Gearing for new jk hawk motor

Guys,
    i invested in two jk hawk motors and i haven't got a clue on how to gear them. I'm going to put them in a jk cheetah 11 4inch .030 c-can chassis, can you help me please?
    Alvin blair

what type of track are you running on and what voltage??
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

Good luck with those Hawks, I cant seem to make one last more then 5 laps before they just slow to a crawl. IMO complete junk and when it did run it wasn't faster then the falcon. Very disappointed!!

By the way 13/38
    Gilbert, AZ
    Falcon Wing/G12/Flexi/Nascar/Drag Race

11-37 or 12-40 [72 pitch ] is a safe starting point!
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

The next event will be on Saturday May 8th! It's the 10th F2000 National Championship slot car race held in lovely Fond Du Lac Wisconsin! Alpha Raceway is located at 716 Northwest Way Fond Du Lac WI, 54937. 920-922-6509 is the phone and the E-mail is paul@alphaslotracing.com.
    We will also be demoing our new entry level wing class Group Mini! The rules are as follows:
    1. Any Group 12 chassis.
    2. 72 grams minimum weight.
    3. JK Hawk or Pro Slot Mini Motor set up.
    4. Only the JK Hawk arm or Pro Slot Puppy Dog arm may be used.
    5. Arms may be epoxied, trued and rebalanced.
    6. You must use a 10t 64p pinion and a 37t,38t or 39t spur gear.
    7. All other general wing car rules apply.

This was run at Alpha and had no failures
    TEAM ACES AND 8's USRA memeberhttp://f2000.us/

Alvin and Shawn,

Please accept this advice from someone who has been doing the motor thing longer than you have lived... but its great advice for everybody. NEVER try to overdrive your slotcar motor. They ALL run best geared lower than you think. You may be using the Hawk or PS Mini to replace a Falcon, but the Falcon has neo-plastic matrix magnets. That is the only reason it will pull a larger pinion. The larger brushes in the Hawk will indeed last longer, but they will also take more time and effort to break in. They should certainly be replaced by whichever brand of premium brush you favor. my own opinion is well known, but to keep repeating it is beating a dead horse with big feet.

If memory serves correctly, the Hawk is packaged with a label indicating a reccommended gearing of well over 4 to 1. Beleive it.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Monty, I have geared them from 10,11,12,13/38 with the same result. I Even switched to PS golddust and light springs for giggles and added 1 shim to takeup the excessive play. Having 3 of them apart I can see the windings are very loose on these arms. We had one that the magnets fell out of it after just a couple of laps so re-epoxied them in. It aswell had loose windings and fell on it's face in roughly 7 laps. The motors are not even really hot when they go flat. When I say flat I'm talking to a crawl within a distance of 25 feet.
    The latest Hawk I thought I'd break it in for a much longer period of time. So I did about and hour of breakin ( No Water ) at about 6V.....Same issue.

I meant to ask you about this issue the other day when we were on the phone but it totally slipped my mind. Due to the issues none of the motors have been on my dime except for the brushes and springs. If your willing I can drop it to you to take a look at it. Maybe strip it and rewind the arm? Sure seems like some epoxy would help on these. Or maybe we slip a Bow Arm in it?? I'm up to give it a shot.

No issues with my proslot 4002. The quality of the PS mini looks far superior then the JK

Let me know and I'll get it coming to you if you would like.
    Shawn
    Last edited by AZHOTSHOE; 05-13-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    Gilbert, AZ

Shawn,

I'm not defending the quality of the motor, which is minimal like all Oriental slot car motors, just commenting on the gearing. Never mind a 10 tooth 64 pitch pinion, it should have been an 8!

Check out the Chicagoland raceway marketplace blog for the initial announcement on the availability of the Hawk. Its still on the first page. Swiss repeatedly reccommends an 8/36 or even lower ratio.

Yes, I can and have made armatures of that length and size. If you're allowed to run them, let me know. I have almost every size of wire you can reasonably use, except #31
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

HMMM I wasn't even in the ballpark. I didn't see the ratio listed on the lable. I will give 8/36 a shot and see what happens. On my proslot I'm currently running 11/38. Would you suggest a 8 or 9 aswell for them??

Thank you for your advice
    Shawn
    Gilbert, AZ

READ may be epoxied. Alpha epoxied and retrued arms for this class. It is a new class for F-2000. NO FAILURES thus far.
    TEAM ACES AND 8's USRA memeberhttp://f2000.us/

qtopro is correct. For these armatures to be run, they have to have a better epoxy used and have the the windings at the comm tied. Everyone of these I have seen come apart, has thrown a wind at the comm. Forget about the epoxy the Chinese are using, its the same sorry stuff they are using on the SpeedFX arms that doesn't work on them either. If Paul at Alpha has some arms available and they are legal, I'd be getting some for sure, otherwise, I'd run a Falcon motor as its made better.

Mike R

From what I have seen it's just way too much trouble for a 14.00 motor. The 4002B is just a better option although costing more it will last much longer and can be rebuilt. I agree on the falcon compared to the Hawk.
    Gilbert, AZ

Hawk

The windings on the arms are wound loose. The Hawk is a little faster than the Proslot and definately cheaper. Depending on your rules you can epoxy the arm windings and it will solve the problem. If your rules do not allow this you can do what has been done on the other chinese arms for years (Parma 16D and S16D). You can super glue the windings. Liberally apply super glue to all the windings being careful not to flow any onto the com slots. Rotate the arm in your hand for a while to somewhat evenly distribute the the glue. Store comm side up. The arm is "dry" when it does not smell like super glue anymore. Importantly get the arm rebalanced as you changed the balance by adding the glue. Otherwise rules allowing you could use the Hawk setup and swap in a Proslot arm as the motors are the same except the Hawk is more open and a little bit lighter. Good Luck.

Thank you everyone for your information and input about the hawk motors. I sincerely want to thank old weird harold for starting this website to share such valuable knowledge, information and experiences to educate and aid racers of every level. Thanks again.
    Alvin blair

+ Reply to Thread