Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pit space & pit boxes

We'll be there on Friday. He gets out of school early on Friday (who knows why?) and we are headed straight to Edgewood. I bought a Group F car earlier tonight at FunTime and hope to join in on the festivities.
    Eli Pile

...probably the only guy you know who's name is a palindrome

Wow!

Not only is your name a palindrome (yes - the only one I know of) - but makes for a cool slot car moniker as well! (PileDriver)

(for any who didn't figure it out... a palindrome is the same forwards or backwards: Eli Pile = eli PilE)

I'll bet some "mirrored" style graphics of your name on your slot cars would look very cool!

Hope you & your son(s) have a great time at the Slugfest!
    Also hoping that Mike at Fun Time is mending up well after his surgery, for more racing at Fun Time!

Those are my new "home track" (PSCR) and my old "home track" (Fun Time - the hillclimb I spent many years racing on in West Seattle).
    I'm about 8,000 miles away now - I miss the racing - but I'll be watching online!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by team burrito View Post
    You don't have build your own box, just buy this one:

Less than 30 bucks from Arron Brothers art supply. Holds my controller, oil, tire wrench, spare parts, motors, tires & six cars as it's configured right now. The best buy for the money. Period.
    Have a link to where I can find this box?

harbor freight has decent wood boxes

Quote Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6 View Post
    Have a link to where I can find this box?
    http://www.aaronbrothers.com/store_locator
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Heres a good deal from harbor freight 79.99

I want one with a flat screen in it

I'd like to ask if ANYONE else gets...."dismayed" when there's NO pitspace left, & guys that have those pitboxes where the front of the box opens up sideways each way, making the box take up 4+ feet of pitspace EACH when opened......I personally have a vintage "Hoffman's" box where the top of the box flips up & back, then the front face opens up straight forward, & down, "drawbridge" style, thereby only requiring the original width that the box required when closed....(approx 14-15 inches)......... MANY raceways (including ours) have VERY limited room, making it kind of antagonistic(?) when somebody sprawls out all over a table taking 4X the space that guys with a "Courtiously, & Thoughtfully engineered" box are utilizing?....

get there earlier next time

WOW! NICE! What are the measurements? I assume that the 2 top smaller drawers can be removed in order to make room for some xtra wing cars if the situation might call for? & @ THAT price, for a box THAT potentially well tailored for slotcars, (THAT's what my earlier post was talking about, how THIS design is a LOT more....."courtiously engineered", like the "old School" hoffman's boxes were made.... Well, you got me digging for my old H.F. catalog....

SOME of us WORK 4 a living....

Geographically Brooklyn, politically Berkeley
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D. View Post
    I'd like to ask if ANYONE else gets...."dismayed" when there's NO pitspace left, & guys that have those pitboxes where the front of the box opens up sideways each way, making the box take up 4+ feet of pitspace EACH when opened.....
    Unabashed sprawler here, with 38" frontage: I usually arrive at an event fifteen minutes after opening and already the tables are full!

Last time when I walked in, two guys skootched over six & twelve inches in succession, giving me an end spot. Placing my box at a sixty-degree angle and folding the sides out like a dressingroom mirror, I still got a nine-inch deep worktable space, and the three of us could reach across each other to share tools. Had fun.

Look, I'm a guy who grumbles when cars take up two spaces in the parking lot, but I suspect that's because we never see nor talk with the offending driver (which also is a lot of why he did it!)--at the track, it's a vocal community if we are vocal; and it does a world of good for the camaraderie, too.

Duffy

I've seen some racers using 2-3 level shelves to place their boxes on thus adding pit/work space in a smaller footprint. Can you tell me where I can get those shelves? Thank you Fred
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Seriously......

What would be a good area to not be considered offensive? Nothing like having pit etiquette.

My box is 18" wide 10" deep and 14" high and has an opening top and doors that lift off.

Wouldn't 24" wide be a normal or acceptable width on a pit bench or table?

Do we need to discuss bringing your own power strip also? Don't you hate it when some moron plugs everything the have including their iPod into the bench top power supply?

Stevie...ask for the day off!

Several years ago at South Hill Slots in Puyallup WA - we had very limited pit space (before he knocked out a wall and expanded), resulting in a few occasional "territorial" issues... so Kirk (the owner) simply put a stripe of blue tape on the tables to mark out the allotted space allowed. If memory serves, I believe it was around 26"... but anywhere between 26"-30" should be sufficient in most cases, depending on the table size and space available. One pit space per racer. Period.

The blue tape clearly defined the limit, and left little room for arguments. It really only had to be "enforced" a couple times before everyone pretty much accepted and respected the space limits. I think Kirk may have threatened to toss a box out in the parking if it crossed the blue line - but fortunately nobody ever had to find out if he was bluffing or not.

Kinda amazing how those side-opening doors can either be opened up at just 90 degrees, or even cooperatively overlap with your neighbor if absolutely necessary, when you have a space limit to deal with. It also made it very practical to "team up" with a buddy - using one space for a box & tools, and the other space strictly for pit space and work area. One of your boxes can go under the table and you take turns pitting for each other. Unless you are both in the same race... in which case you just share or find another buddy not in your race to pit for you.

Of course - pit space at big Regional and National type races usually require substantially more pit space, as you can see in Nats photos that some racers practically back up a truck full off supplies and build a condo for their pit. But then that is why raceways hosting large events usually make every effort to have sufficient pit space before planning on hosting big race events.

PK
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast