Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pit space & pit boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    I've seen some racers using 2-3 level shelves to place their boxes on thus adding pit/work space in a smaller footprint. Can you tell me where I can get those shelves? Thank you Fred
    I know that Target had some really cheap shelf kits that are only about $12 that work great for the turning the pit table into a hutch. A lot of racers just buy a cheap shelf unit like that when they arrive, and leave it behind when they leave.

For MY solution - scroll up a bit to post #6 to see my "Port-A-Pit" box that I built a couple years ago. My box of cars goes under the table, and my "Port-A-Pit" unloads in a minute with everything laid out and ready to plug in to ONE outlet. It has it's own power strip, light, power supply, etc. all ready to go.

Port-A-Pit Gallery

PK
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 09-18-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D. View Post
    I'd like to ask if ANYONE else gets...."dismayed" when there's NO pitspace left, & guys that have those pitboxes where the front of the box opens up sideways each way, making the box take up 4+ feet of pitspace EACH when opened......I personally have a vintage "Hoffman's" box where the top of the box flips up & back, then the front face opens up straight forward, & down, "drawbridge" style, thereby only requiring the original width that the box required when closed....(approx 14-15 inches)......... MANY raceways (including ours) have VERY limited room, making it kind of antagonistic(?) when somebody sprawls out all over a table taking 4X the space that guys with a "Courtiously, & Thoughtfully engineered" box are utilizing?....
    Well check out my website and look under the "sale items" tab just finished a "micro hoffman".
    whiteysslotcarboxes.com

I don't have to worry about bringing alot to the track anymore. I've had this box for years and it works great for my 1/32 scale stuff .

I have had 3 of those Plano boxes for many years, and they work great for carrying the cars and parts.

I have one for each scale - 1/24, 1/32, & HO. As I mentioned in my "Port-a-Pit" box description above, I keep my cars & parts for each race program in a separate box (the Plano boxes like yours in the photo above), and then all my pit work station, used mainly for 1/24, is all in the "Port-a-Pit" box. For HO & 1/32 all the tools I really need fit in the Plano box, since I don't need any soldering or the power supply or other power tools... but I usually toss it in the trunk anyway, just in case.

On my 1/24 case, I pulled out & unsnapped the bottom drawer, so I could fit a controller or other items in the bottom when the top was too full of cars.

Unfortunately... Plano discontinued this model of box years ago. I looked for them all over, and then I searched the Plano web site and saw that model had been discontinued. Real bummer, as it was a very good fit for slot cars of all 3 scales.

My 1/32 scale Plano box has now been retired in favor of another one of the metal cases just like I used for the Port-a-Pit box. With added moveable dividers and the tool holder in the lid, it works perfect for 1/32 plastic cars. Many of the PNW 1/32 club racers, and practically all of the 1/32 racers at Red Devil use this style case. I'll have to see if my buddy Craig (flyracing) can post a pic of his box here. Craig sorta started the run on Harbor Freight boxes, and mine is a copy of his.

PK
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 10-09-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Here ya go Paul ! My box, Your box showing the PLANO case & a link to the currently priced ($28) harbor freight special !! http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/st....campaignId=WI

x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01734..jpg 
Views:	1640 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	9814  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01735..jpg 
Views:	1407 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	9815  

Last edited by oldweirdherald; 05-29-2018 at 12:24 AM. Reason: pasted images

I use this from Scaleauto (Spanish company 1/32nd and 1/24th) for my HO cars. Works ok.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234