Thread: magnet zapper homemade, it's possible?

magnet zapper homemade, it's possible?

hi,
    is possible to make a magnet zapper?
    and how to use it?

Yep. I got one. I call it ol'sparky. Check out antique engine / tractor restoration sites for info on how to build one. Great for C & D can stuff. I'm sure there are other directions on the internet also.
    Why do I do this to myself?

have you some link?
    and how to use it?

i find the project.... but i don't understand how does it works....
    I put direclty the motor inside the zapper or only the magnet? and the "orientation" of the magnet or motor?

thanks

Sure it's possible, but why not save yourself some headaches and just buy one from Monty? His is one of the most user friendly ones that I have used. The price is reasonable too.

Ha my magnet zapper is 20+yrs old. My dad made it when I was a little 1 for H.O.'s. It works for the D cans & C cans. Its a lot bigger than the new stuff but if you were gona just leave it at home its just fine. Mine weighs about 50lbs.
    2nd place is the first looser!

I have BOW zapper and LOVE it. Very simpe to use and works awesome on D-C Cans and sealed mini motors. Best purchase I have made and great customer service.
    Gilbert, AZ
    Falcon Wing/G12/Flexi/Nascar/Drag Race

ok, but i prefer to make one.
    How to use it?
    Put only the magnet in to the "C" or entire motor? with or without the armature?

...the price for bow zapper?

For falcons put the neg magnet face down in the well and reverse for others. Of course sealed motors cant use slugs so you zap them with the arm in and non sealed use slugs when possible. You must have something between the magnets.

Bow zapper is 179.00 and usually takes a couple of weeks to get as monty is always backlogged building the best motors in the industry. I too looked at building one but the cost factor going with a BOW is much better. I have fit everything from mini motors to D cans in the well. Monty has been building zappers for a long time and has figured out some of the tricks to make it work with neo and ceramic magnet motors.
    Gilbert, AZ
    Falcon Wing/G12/Flexi/Nascar/Drag Race

Luca,

With a properly designed machine, you can do ANY of the operations you describe: 1 magnet at a time, both magnets, can and magnet assembly, or whole motor (even sealed motors). The only extra equipment you need is a steel slug for operations that do not use the complete motor. A magnet installation tool, if made of steel, will work - but so will a plain piece of 1/2" barstock wrapped in tape.

The current list price of my zapper is $179.95 The entire device is approx. 6/10 kilo, 13 x 13 x 5 cm. It does use 120V 60hz input, so for European use a small appliance stepdown transformer is required. This is the same device you would need for a north american shaver or small radio, available in any electronic store or airport giftshop.
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

will it work for HO magnets? ceramic? polymer? neo?

If so I might have to buy one!!

Where can I get one of these Bow's? I am a serious shopper. The $179.00 tag is very reasonable. Address, please.

This was a 1 1/2 year old thread...

A BOW magnet zapper might be hard to come by these days, since Monty has been in the hospital.

I kinda doubt anyone who has a BOW zapper would be inclined to part with one, and I seriously doubt that they will be letting Monty build any new zappers while in the hospital.

Check the sticky thread in the main Slot Car Talk forum - we are gathering donations to help out Monty with his medical bills.

We are all keeping Monty in our thoughts and prayers to get well.

In the mean time, I should probably lock Monty's forum from new posts while he is on the mend.

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -