+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power Supply needs how many amps to work properly?

Power Supply needs how many amps to work properly?

How many amps will I need in a power supply to break in motors? I am looking at a variable unit that will put out upto 15 volts and 5 amps...
    Thank God for my family and friends

You want 4 to 6volts max. Current depends on what type motors you're working with. C and D cans should be fine with 5 or so amps, cobalt motor need a lot more, 7 to 10 amps should do. If you are thinking about using some commercially available unit designed for car audio use, which it appears you are, they usually do not work out real well, most don't drop down to a low enough voltage and are not well regulated, and can have a large ripple component (real bad for slot motors). So unless you are planning on a LAB GRADE variable power supply, stick to one of the units designed for slot racing, you will be happier in the long run. By the way, the only lab grade unit I currently know is available is over twice the price of the made for slot racing ones. Of course, you can design and build your own if you are up to the challenge, the one I've been using for the last 18 years, still works perfectly, but is a little light on amps for todays cobalt. Maybe I'll build a new one.
    Improving performance one hazardous material at a time.

Here is the specs on the power supply

Nominal Input Voltage: 117VAC @ 60Hz
    Input Voltage Range: 110-120VAC @ 60 Hz
    Output Voltage: Regulated - 0-30 VDC
    Output Current, continuous - 5 Amps
    Load Regulation - Less than 3%
    Line Regulation - Less than 1%
    Output Ripple Voltage - Less than 12 mV Peak-to-Peak

Les wright makes power supplies for slot motors and there the best one i have used and i bought 3 cheap ones before i bought my wright way, and i've had it for over 15 years and no problems. And if there is a problem les is really good about fixing it and making it right

I agree with Mike. Go with a WrightWay power supply, they are top notch and designed for slot car motors/equipment. Les Wright is a great guy and will gladly help you with any issues with his products. Get your local raceway to order one for you, that way you're supporting your local track (keeping it open), and supporting a SLOT CAR manufacturer, so we can continue to get top notch quality and parts.
    Chase Walker

The spec you've posted on the surface might seem ok, but the ripple is very high and the load regulation is not very good either. Ripple should be less than 3mv for a quality power supply. I checked around to a little today and the cheapest lab supply that I found was about $800, so you will make out better with a Wrightway or Thirdeye or similar. And remember the Ripple we drank as kids, that wasn't to acceptable either.
    Improving performance one hazardous material at a time.

Thanks for the info. What are the prices on the writeway and third eye units?

SW Michigan but raced all over the country and world.
    Cardiac,

Mike and Steve are "wright" on the money. Les makes great stuff and it's small and light and reliable. I've built about 15 power supplies over the years and they all worked great and weighed a ton. Les has it down pat and the one I have is about the same as Mike's-15 years old, and has never even blown a fuse.

The wright way to go is with Les.

John P.

Great advise from everyone. Clean power makes for cleaner comms. When buying a power supply, the more amps the better, a load is only going to take as many as needed. Wrightway and Koford make reasonable priced power supplies with very clean power.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread