Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You'd think someone would answer my phone call!

You'd think someone would answer my phone call!

I realize that slot car racing is a hobby for everyone. However, if a "potential" customer calls your store and leaves a message or sends an email to you inquiring about placing an order, with the way the economy is today, why wouldn't the store/track owner get back to that potential customer? I have called 3 stores and sent emails to 3 parts stores in the past 2 weeks asking for specific items and have not received one phone call or email back!!! And I know they have the parts I want!! I'm in sales so this REALLY bothers me!! You store/track owners are missing potential $$$$$ to help keep the lights on in your stores unless your all self-made millionaires! I mean, if I didn't call my customers back, I wouldn't make any money!!!! And if I didn't make money, I couldn't try to spend it at your stores! So, my point, please store/track owners, if someone leaves you a message or sends an email, call or write them back. It's really not that hard to do either in this day and age. You can have an automatic response email and you can even "forward" your business phone to a cell phone. I only wanna spend some money with you!!!!!!!!!!!

Call my track and I will help you out...
    Sincerely,

Jeff Strause

I prefer phone calls over E-Mails and PM's, especially with new customers.
    That's why I include it in all my posts .
    I talk way faster than I type and that way I can
    answer technical questions, make sure you're getting the optimum item
    for the application(IE, I have 5 different guide braces)
    Last edited by swiss; 07-19-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

After years of dealing with Mike I can only say his costumer service has only gotten better with time. give him a call.
    [COLOR="Black"]TEAM ACES AND 8's http://f2000.us/[/url]

Maybe he's on Vacation, maybe he's in the hospital, maybe he hit the lottery, maybe a Family member is in dire straights. I'd relax and go elsewhere until you get the scoop on what's up. There are plenty of other shops that will take your money............... I'll even take your money and get the parts for you. Lol!
    Cobbler~ NC

Cobbler,

The man said "I have called 3 stores and sent emails to 3 parts stores in the past 2 weeks asking for specific items and have not received one phone call or email back!!!"

The odds that all three (or is it six?) raceways/stores are unavailable for the reasons you suggest is pretty small.

In my experience, Yellow is correct: the average raceway owner (and there are exceptions!) is a relatively poor businessperson. Lots of evidence out there to support that opinion. My favorite example is what happens when calling a raceway while it is closed. The sharp owners will have an answering machine pick up to identify the business and to give the raceway's days and hours of operation.

It's called Business 101 but most clearly haven't taken the course.

The sad reality is that most commercial raceways are indeed owned by die hard slot car racers, of whom many have "rescued" a track from extinction by relocating or reopening a former raceway. Most are in it mostly to keep alive the hobby, rather then as a business venture... and most are not business school graduates.

Most successful raceways are those who are able to combine their love for the hobby with sound business practices as well.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

What you said is very true Paul! Did you notice this was Yellow's first post on OWH? He never did say what he was looking for. That could mean he joined up just to air his complaint.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    The sad reality is that most commercial raceways are indeed owned by die hard slot car racers, of whom many have "rescued" a track from extinction by relocating or reopening a former raceway. Most are in it mostly to keep alive the hobby, rather then as a business venture... and most are not business school graduates.

Most successful raceways are those who are able to combine their love for the hobby with sound business practices as well.
    It is indeed a sad reality and is made even more so by the fact that the best way to keep the commercial slot racing hobby alive is to work to make raceways profitable.

Like Pogo said many years ago, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

And there's no need to be a business school grad; most of the stuff that gets neglected is just common sense. Which, as they say, isn't really very common any more. LOL!!
    Last edited by brassy; 07-20-2010 at 10:10 AM.

I agree with Paul.. I recently opened a raceway with very little business experience. Trying to learn on the job though. The biggest challenge for me is staying organized. I have recently been criticized for being a poor businessman. Sometimes I get so much on my plate that I forget to make phone calls that I need to, and stuff like that. I remember later and feel bad about it. I hope most of the racers understand that most of us shop owners are just racers trying to have fun and trying to make it fun for the racers. I do what I can to be a good business person, but I cant imagine being a pure businessman and still able to have fun. If I was really concerned about making lots of money, I don't think opening a raceway would have been my best choice. This was the best choice, because I don't mind coming to work 11hrs a day 7 days a week to make very little money. The fun I have running a raceway out weighs the financial struggles I will need to deal with. If I make profit, great, If not I will still be open for many years. I will do what it takes and I'm open to any advice people have to help keep the raceway fun and not too serious all the time, but keep the Raceway alive.
    Raceway owners are having a hard enough time, try to give them a break with the negative criticism. Remember, they are trying to keep the doors open not only for their own benefit, but for you too.
    Yellow: I hope you got what you needed. Everything I have written is intended to be Respectful to owners and racers.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Yellow

Never called me. He would have his parts already, providing they are available. Wade you will get your system of doing things in time. This time of year is hard on most raceways. I know a lot of raceway owners getting other jobs.
    World Famous Port Jefferson Raceway
    631-696-7721
    bentrim@optonline.net
    www.portjeffraceway.com
    Former USRA Grand Puba

Thanks Doug
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

BTW - this is one reason that Doug "Bent Rim" Bauer talked me into starting up the "Track Owners" forum in the Tech Tips section here on OWH. Doug has always been extremely helpful in sharing his knowledge & experience of running a raceway - whether here on OWH, on the phone, or in person. This forum is also a great resource for sharing knowledge about track building, wiring, power, maintenance, etc... where Doug and others like Raymond "Slapshot" Batchelor, Roman K, Gary Gerding, and others have been very generous with sharing info.

Many of the struggles new raceway owners face are related to the lack of resources for slot car related information. I hope that OWH can continue to grow as a resource for that sort of information, and I plan on compiling many of the frequently asked questions into permanent articles or in an "FAQ" section.

Basic business knowledge for any retail business also applies to a commercial slot car raceway, and fortunately there are MANY resources for "Business 101" not only from schools & books, but from SBA, seminars, and a multitude of online sources. Besides "book smarts" for running any successful business... one of the most important factors (and not really mentioned yet) is simple: PEOPLE SKILLS. Some people have it, some learn it, and unfortunately some just don't get it.

At the 2003 Parma Challenge Cup, business consultant / slot racer Joseph Rosales gave a seminar for raceway owners that was exactly aimed at this topic. Besides Joseph's experience in applying basic retail practices to a slot car business, the exchange of ideas among attendees was also valuable. The seminar was recorded and is available from Parma.

There are many challenges that raceway owners face that are common to many businesses, but also very specific to this industry & hobby. Fortunately - since most raceway owners are in it more for the love of the hobby then to make money - it is more like belonging to a fraternity, where the track owners, manufacturers, distributors, organizations, and the racers all are willing to do what they can to help each other. That sort of camaraderie and spirit of cooperation is what makes being in a business that is also your hobby much more enjoyable - and can often provide that light at the end of the tunnel!

And just as in slot racing - once you see that light under the tunnel - then you can "punch the donut" - "nail the lead-on" and then it's flat out down the straight...
    (corny attempt at slot car analogy... )
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 07-20-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Paul - I remember that exact seminar - good points during that meeting.
    Sincerely,

Jeff Strause

Dustyn is doing a great job of running Wade Raceway........ it is laid back and fun....... he usually has the parts in stock that ya need and if he doesn't he will get them as soon as he can..... he has the right attitude about the business side..... he isn't gonna make a ton of money, but he should be able to make enough to pay for itself.... and the core of racers are there for him when he needs help or advice... anyone in the Nampa\Boise area needs to stop in and have some fun on the King track and sometime soon on the Canadian White flat track......................
    Jim Dalton
    Bone Bodies

ISCC
    Dub Motors
    PMP Chassis
    3rd Eye controllers
    jd102454@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast