Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a chart or guideline to rewinding 1/24 scale slot car motors?

Please read my post. Monty used this material, without a vacuum chamber, with extraordinary success. Other winders have done the same.
    You seem to have limited experience. Thrown winds have not been an issue, even with imported motors, since the 1960's.

Also, you might make acquaintance with modern innovations such as the cap key, the space bar and punctuation. They will make your
    knowledge deficient posts at least readable.

Quote Originally Posted by wbugenis View Post
    Also, you might make acquaintance with modern innovations such as the cap key, the space bar and punctuation. They will make your knowledge deficient posts at least readable.
    That has to be one of the best quotes - ever!!

Can I use it in my signature panel?
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Ron, in another life, Bill was a high school teacher.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

As Marley's ghost said to Scrooge that Christmas eve: "We bear the chains we forge in life."

Quote Originally Posted by motormaster01 View Post
    you cant just buy this epoxy and paint it on an arm. it needs to be sucked into the winds with a special vacuum chamber device. painting it on just is not enough. it will only bond the top winds to the row below it regardless of viscosity . once it spins up its gonna throw a wind faster than you can say commutator. commercial arm manufactures
    have everything to complete an arm after its wound. this is why i suggest using epoxy coated enamel wire. it bonds the wire with heat all the way through. and as i said before its expensive and hard to find in small spools but works great. the chinese arms you get in parma 502s and proslot 2101 sealed motors are epoxy coated enamel wire. after coming off the hand turned winding machine these arms are baked at a low temp to bond the wire to the stacks. these frickin things are wound very poorly and just about every one i have unwound has a different amount of winds on each stack. the correct amount is 60 turns of 28 guage wire. some stacks were short a wind or two and some were over a wind or two but usually never 60 on each. if you don't use epoxy coated and only enamel i'm sure some place like proslot would probably do the finish work for a small charge
    monty also had everything to do the finish work on his self winds. after applying the epoxy he would put it in a vacuum chamber before it hardend to suck the epoxy from the top layer of winds to the bottom to bond the wire properly or dident you know that?
    Last edited by motormaster01; 10-18-2016 at 02:40 PM.

moon and back

Please read my post. Monty used this material, without a vacuum chamber, with extraordinary success. Other winders have done the same.
    You seem to have limited experience. Thrown winds have not been an issue, even with imported motors, since the 1960's.

Also, you might make acquaintance with modern innovations such as the cap key, the space bar and punctuation. They will make your
    knowledge deficient posts at least readable.
    i have forgotten more about rewinds than your entire knowledge of them. i have wound enough arms to string the wire to the MOON AND BACK. small guage winds dont need epoxy. anyone can wind one of those but larger guage you will never make it work without proper bonding.i know what works and what don't.i have countless hours of trial and error to prove it. go ahead and try to wind an arm and only apply epoxy on the top layer of winds install it and see what happens....good luck
    Last edited by motormaster01; 10-25-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added quote

imported chinese arms

spin a chinese arm up on your power supply at 13.5v and watch it throw a wind. i have had them lodge particles of wire into my fingers and had to pick them out with a tweezers and magnifying glass.

knowledge deficient? well just to let you know all my builds are clones of Mick A of slotcar city NV.world famous builder and driver. he personally taught me his building style techniques and tolerances using the same tools as him that costed hundreds. as for capital letters, i use them when needed. usually when i WANT TO GET MY POINT ACROSS!!!!

It is said you can't teach a donkey to sing. It can only frustrate the teacher and annoy the donkey.
    I see you are annoyed.

........................as for capital letters, i use them when needed. usually when i WANT TO GET MY POINT ACROSS!!!!
    Using CAPITALS is considered yelling in Internet etiquette......

........................i have wound enough arms to string the wire to the moon and back.
    Really? How many zillion armatures is that?

It is said you can't teach a donkey to sing. It can only frustrate the teacher and annoy the donkey.
    I see you are annoyed.
    no not really. oh and by the way a very reliable source has told me that montys vacuum chamber is at buena park. i met monty when i was 8 years old at crash and burn raceway in chatsworth CA. 1976.i met joel montegue at canoga raceway the same year. there was a USRA there. i had tried to rewind a twinn k arm and was unsuccessful. too big of wind and no epoxy. i knew that joel was hand winding opens so i asked him why my rewind did not work so he gave me the whole low down on what i was doing wrong. from there on i experimented with the suggestions he gave me and the rest is history.
    Last edited by motormaster01; 10-19-2016 at 03:28 PM.

is just an expression if i really had to guess between 500 to 1000 since 1979. hand winding an arm takes a special technique. it's all about tension ,how you hold it and when to do your crossovers on top. IF YOU REALLY KNOW HOW TO HAND WIND YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND THIS!!!

I haven't hand wound an armature since, I guess, 1967

The old days

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I haven't hand wound an armature since, I guess, 1967
    yeah back then track power was about the same but the motors were different. they were wound with small guage wire that really did not require much bonding if at all. everyone was rewinding back then. as i said before there is some technique involved and experimentation. BUT ALL JUST FOR KICKS. its kinda neat to figure out a true good combo of turns of whetever guage and see it preform proper on the track.
    Last edited by motormaster01; 10-19-2016 at 03:20 PM. Reason: mispelling

knowledge deficient OK LOL
    Last edited by motormaster01; 10-19-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast